PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motor Refurb

Coops
08-07-2007, 21:29
sometimes when i turn the key, it ticks and then does nothing, failing to turn the engine over atall. so am guessin the starters not in the best of nicks?

either way its a high output jobbie so i would rather get it refurbed than replaced, if its cheaper that way?

recommendations!

cheers

Coops

BristolSam16v
08-07-2007, 22:24
Sounds like the solenoid is getting stuck. Can either hit the starter with a hammer to loosen it or the other method which is a bit harder to explain but:

Turn the key to the 3rd turn so as to start the car, when it clicks you have to turn the key back but only half way between 2nd and 3rd turn, then you try and start again, you have to do this pretty quickly and it normally unfreezes it. If you turn it 2 far back after it clicks you'll have to turn it all the way back to start before you'll be able 2 try again. Hope that makes sense ;)

Not sure what you mean by a high output starter? Afaik new starter motors aren't that expensive anyway and not terribly difficult to replace either!

Rich
08-07-2007, 22:44
if you want a spare FOC i have at least 1 you can hev in my spare box mate. seen as i have no renault i have no use for it :lol: let me know mate

Coops
08-07-2007, 22:45
cheers man, this will all be post FCS neway, and maybe not for a few months, thinkin of layin it up for a while and takin a break. been none stop clio fixing for like 12 months now and frankly am ****in sick to death of it

Rich
08-07-2007, 22:50
lol why do you think i jacked it in and bought a new car! yeah well drop us a txt/call or PM anytime you want it mate, its only up in the shed so its not in the way

northy
09-07-2007, 08:13
check the white cable is attached to the starter ok pal