PDA

View Full Version : Oil preasure problems

GT-Facer
06-07-2007, 13:06
I seem to have some major oil preseure problems with my Hybrid :(
Un fortunatly the oil gauge didn't work when i bought it a few weeks ago, but now i have replaced the gauges so can see the problem.
There is bout 2 bar on tick over when cold and goes up to about 3 at full throttle. When it's warm it's about 2 bar when on full throttle and fook all when ticking over.
The last owner replaced all the bottem end bearings, so they are pritty new.
What causes lack of preasure? (I aint a mechanic! Still learning)

1fast6
06-07-2007, 13:18
Hmm well obviously the grade of oil in the car affects the pressure and also the oil filter will if it is not of the correct type.

After my oil change with Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 i get 2.5-3 bar on startup from cold, 6 bar at full throttle. As it warms up the full throttle pressure decreases until i get 2.5bar @ 80c 2bar @ 90c and 0.2/0.3bar at idle.

GT-Facer
06-07-2007, 13:21
I've just been told it may be the oil, especially fully synthectic.
I don't know what's in it atm so I'll get some 10-40 semi synthetic today and try that.

mikeymikewakey
06-07-2007, 18:25
I wouldnt have thought it was the oil, maybe the oil level?

I use fully synthetic over semi-synthetic and the oil pressure improved for me when using the synthetic.

Mike

mon
06-07-2007, 19:07
I've just been told it may be the oil, especially fully synthectic.
I don't know what's in it atm so I'll get some 10-40 semi synthetic today and try that.

thats wot i use shell 10 40w and get bang on pressure readings it is the proper grade of oil for that engine

GT-Facer
09-07-2007, 09:51
Changed the oil yesterday for some 10-40w high synthetic Millers oil but am still getting the same preasure readings :(
Engine still performs ok, but the little preasure worries me quite a bit!
Any other ideas??

Purple
09-07-2007, 10:31
There is bout 2 bar on tick over when cold and goes up to about 3 at full throttle. When it's warm it's about 2 bar when on full throttle and fook all when ticking over.
A little on the low side, but I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with it. Mine F7R reads:
2 bar@900rpm when cold.
Almost 0 bar@900rpm@90C engine temp.
About 2.5bar@3krpm@90C engine temp.
The reading changes slightly with different make of syn oil.

Tommo
09-07-2007, 13:15
I seem to have some major oil preseure problems with my Hybrid :(
Un fortunatly the oil gauge didn't work when i bought it a few weeks ago, but now i have replaced the gauges so can see the problem.
The last owner replaced all the bottem end bearings, so they are pritty new.
What causes lack of preasure? (I aint a mechanic! Still learning)

That sounds about right mate for 10/40, my readings where similar when using Shell Helix 10/40 semi synth, I've since changed to Castrol Edge 10/60 fully synth and noticed a big improvement in oil pressure...

busterhymes
09-07-2007, 17:38
have to say these oil pressure gauges could be inaccurate anyway so should we worry most cars dont have gauges and they all run ok and owners dont worry about oil pressure sure there would be more tell tale signs of failure but basically if in doubt change the oil pump or get yours reconned :D :D :D :D

GT-Facer
10-07-2007, 09:40
Thanks for the reasuring replys guys, I'm just paranoid when it comes to my cars! Don'y seem to have any luck

have to say these oil pressure gauges could be inaccurate anyway so should we worry most cars dont have gauges and they all run ok and owners dont worry about oil pressure sure there would be more tell tale signs of failure but basically if in doubt change the oil pump or get yours reconned :D :D :D :D

Yer that thought had crossed my mind buster, it's hard to ignore when your looking at it though!
Might get a oil pump in time, but sounds like i don't have owt to worry about :D