PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Scuttle Pannel

Jamie.
03-07-2007, 19:41
I noticed someone did this some time ago on their car and it looked great.

Since mine is now looking grey i want to do the same, now how do i remove it? I have had a quick look and there is only a few screws holding it in place, however how do i remove the wiper arm to pull it over?

Also what paint and prep is recommended.

Jamie.

snowman
03-07-2007, 19:46
1 torx each side mate and one in the middle,both wipers will have to come off,lift the plastic at the base of each and remove nut,wobble the wiper about a bit as theyre on a taper and theyll come off,be careful of the washer pipes up under the scuttle,unclip them aswell,theres also a thin rubber moulding that gores in between plastic and glass that is tricky to get back on when assembling.

snowman
03-07-2007, 19:48
and theres about 5/6 clips that always fall in the bulk head somewhere,lol

MattyH16valver
03-07-2007, 19:48
I noticed someone did this some time ago on their car and it looked great.

Since mine is now looking grey i want to do the same, now how do i remove it? I have had a quick look and there is only a few screws holding it in place, however how do i remove the wiper arm to pull it over?

Also what paint and prep is recommended.

Jamie.

There are 3 screws...one at both ends and one in the middle. There are also some clips holding it down, just pulls the panels up and they'll pop off. Carefull though, otherwise they may snap or fall into the bulkhead area. Lift the caps up that cover the nuts on the wiper arms, then unscrew them. Then wiggle and pull the arms off. Make sure u disconnect the rubber hose too for the washer bottle....just pulls apart.

I've used Satin Black Plastikote which was good...just give the plastic a good wash first. Others have used Halfords Prep Spray and Then the Plastic Bumper Paint.

Jamie.
03-07-2007, 19:54
Nice one.

Has anyone sprayed the bumpstrips too?

As while im at it i may as well do them as they're fading too.

snowman
03-07-2007, 19:57
Same process mate,theres probably a cheaper way but the FOLIOTEC plastic paint from Tweeks is quite good.

1995clio16v
03-07-2007, 23:46
Just use halfords mate, that does the job, nice and cheap.

Oh...and I bet you cant get that twat of a rubber seal to stay in place behind the scuttle panel when you try and put it back together!

Its like elastic, once you have it fixed at one end and then try the other the ****er just pings back!

Its kind of difficult!

I gave up!

Coops
04-07-2007, 00:15
there are 5 screws, 2 at either side fella, two on the flat parts next to the opening flaps, 2 at either extreme end near windscreen and one in the middle. undo the 4 at the edges, leave centre on in as this holds the scuttles 2 halves together.

undo 2 nuts holding winscreen wipers on and gently prise the wipers themselves off, i find molegrips indispensible for this bit! and also unclip the washer jet feed from the pump end

the whole assembly should then lift off in one piece, leaving that bugger of a seal in tact! if not, tiger seal the mo fo back on! :twisted:

prep - decent degreaser, 1500 wet and dry, then warm soapy water. allow to dry full overnight

spraying - depends on finish you want, i used 2 coats grey primer, 3 coats satin black and 2 coats laquer (all halfords) but many will deem this 'too shiny'

DaveH
04-07-2007, 07:45
Whats the best procedure to go through if you just want them to look original but new (basically not faded) Some kind of matt black or do you still use the satin just without all the laquer?

G33R7
04-07-2007, 08:20
do they fit in the dishwasher?

snowman
04-07-2007, 16:07
Yes but theyll go even whiter when theyre out

DaveH
05-07-2007, 19:44
Whats the best procedure to go through if you just want them to look original but new (basically not faded) Some kind of matt black or do you still use the satin just without all the laquer?

I repeat!! Anybody know as im going to buy the stuff i need 2moz!