PDA

View Full Version : problems turning my car into a hybrid

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 12:33
right everything was gong so well, engine is in but then the problems began.

First of al the fuel pump isnt priming. when i bridged the wires it worked. Whats stopping the fuel pump from working?

Also when i tryed to start it i bridged the fuel pump then tyred to start it, it fired up for two seconds then cut out and havnt started since.

I checked the spark and it is very weak. What would cause this? battery is flat and im having to try and start via jump leads from another car.

Any help to sort thse problems out wouldbe great as i want to get it on the road?

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 12:41
Think you've answered your own question, get that battery charged and check the wiring on the fuel pump relay.

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 12:43
in the process with the battery.

as for checjkeing the wiring to relay what do you mean? all the connectors are clean and connected.

thanks

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 12:52
Check you're getting voltage to it and voltage out of it. Are you using a phase2 ECU ?

MatBrown
29-06-2007, 12:59
Which loom did you use?

Mat.

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 13:05
Which loom did you use?

Mat.

Good point, didn't some of the wiring change from phase to phase

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 13:09
the engine is a willy 2 and i used the loom that came with the car a 94 1.8 valver.

So would a flatish battery give you a crap spark?

on the relay what wires do you test for voltage and what should they read.

Whne i charge battery and try and start it do i bridge the fuel pump so its constantly on or just for few seconds disconnect and try and start?

ive tryed the 1.8 ecu and the willy ecu.

keep the help coming and let get this bad boy on the road :lol:

MAXIBOY
29-06-2007, 13:13
flat battery might give you a crap spark as it use all its power cranking. are you getting a 12v at the pump. i think this should be constant.

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 13:16
on the fuel pump the only wire getting a voltage was the green the pink the other two were 0 black and yellow.

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 13:25
Bridge it so it's permanently on, the FPR takes car of the rest

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 13:31
So is it safe to perminantly bridge the Fuel Pump Relay. What woudl cause the problem with the Fuel Pump relay in the first place.

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 13:35
So is it safe to perminantly bridge the Fuel Pump Relay. What woudl cause the problem with the Fuel Pump relay in the first place.

Not all the time mate, you only want it on when the car is running, that's what the fuel pump relay is all about, I can't remember where it takes it's "exciter" from, it might just be an ignition live or it might be a tacho live. If you're using the same wiring as before then it should be ok unless you've damaged the relay. The battery could be causing all your probs mate. Get it charged and go from there, if not nick one of the other relays to test it.

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 13:38
I will try and source a relay and charge the battery. Is it possible to wire the fuel pump relay so it comes on with the ign live? Thanks for help

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 13:42
I will try and source a relay and charge the battery. Is it possible to wire the fuel pump relay so it comes on with the ign live? Thanks for help

Yes, basically a relay is just a switch that turns on a bigger ampage circuit, it's safer that way.

Relay will have a permanent live going to it, a negative feed going to it, the "exciter" and the output. The exciter tells the relay when to turn the output on, the exciter may be low current and the output high current, saves you burning your loom up.

You COULD take an ignition live and splice it into the exciter of the relay, problem is then if you crash and the ignition is still on, the fuel is still flowing :?

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 13:44
Ok, would a new relay solve this problem or could the problem be from somewhere else.

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 13:46
well i don't know what the problem is, have you tested the relay wires for voltage ?

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 13:52
I know that the beige wire is recieving no voltage but i will test other wires to see what voltage they are getting. By bridging the red to beige wire to get the fuel pump working does this mean that the Red wire is live? If so could i wire this up to ign. live so it onyl comes on with the ignition.

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 13:54
wrote it wrong what i meant was could i wire a ign. live to the exciter wire to get the fuel pump working.

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 13:55
wrote it wrong what i meant was could i wire a ign. live to the exciter wire to get the fuel pump working.

Yes mate, just don't crash lol

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 14:00
so if i chnage the relays over and its still the same what woudl this mean. I dont want to mess aroudn too much with the wiring because i want it to be safe. Thanks again.

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 14:08
so if i chnage the relays over and its still the same what woudl this mean. I dont want to mess aroudn too much with the wiring because i want it to be safe. Thanks again.

That there is a fault elsewhere with the wiring but it was working before so it should work now. Get the multimeter out and test the pins on the relay. If you're getting voltage in and voltage at the exciter but nothing out then the relay is knackered, if you're getting voltage in but no voltage at the exciter you need to trace the exciter back to its source and see what's going on.

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 14:10
ok which wire is the exciter?

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 14:18
85 or 86 i think

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 14:35
Ok i will test it later. Basically if im getting voltage in and voltage at the exciter but nothing coming from the relay-its broken but if im getting voltage in but nothing from exciter it need to find out why. Thanks for your help.

Clio_GTT
29-06-2007, 14:40
Ok i will test it later. Basically if im getting voltage in and voltage at the exciter but nothing coming from the relay-its broken but if im getting voltage in but nothing from exciter it need to find out why. Thanks for your help.

Yup, but the battery will affect all of this, the fuel pump needs a large amount of current to run and so does the starter. Battery is number 1 then go from there

NAPLES VALVER 123
29-06-2007, 14:42
Thanks again i'll sort out the battery and go from there. Cheers

NAPLES VALVER 123
30-06-2007, 19:13
checked for voltage at all points of the fuel pump relay, all of them have 12volts except the beige wire.
So does this sound like a dodgy relay. :?: :?

thanks for the help. 8)

number1
01-07-2007, 19:50
glad i never had any of these problems when i did my engine transplant
invest in a power test probe, can tell if a wire is positive/negative and with a flick of the switch in either direction can supply current to relays etc
try putting a live to the pos on the fuel pump, should activate the pump, one thing i'd check... Earths..

Dave