PDA

View Full Version : Misfiring - due to wet weather?

alex_e3
27-06-2007, 14:57
Got in the old girl a few hours ago to take her down to my unit where i'll be doing the willy engine swap - and the damn thing's misfiring like hell!

The mrs has been saying the car's not been going as well at times for the last week, but i haven't driven it for a couple of weeks.

I got in it, started as normal. Wasn't misfiring at first. The idle got a bit dodgy then, like the normal problems we get with ISCV & CTS issues. Bear in mind that the car's NEVER had idle problems, and the coolant is clear coolant, no rust in it. I took the car out, and apart from getting absolutely soaked from the leaky sunroof, the car was misfirng more and more when the car was getting up to temp.

The misfire was not as prominent at first, but it would run right in bursts. Then when the car was warm it wouldn't run right at all, and was constantly misfiring.

Now i haven't had time to check anything, until tomorrow. I'm hoping that it's water got in the plug wells like what happens with 19 valvers. When i changed the clutch recently, i noticed that the master plug onto the coil was all green and a bit corroded, so that was on my to-do list. So maybe just the leads are shagged? However, why has this come on all of a sudden today?

I'm hoping it's not the head gasket, but then why would the car run perfectly occasionally? I quickly checked the coolant and the oil, and both were fine.

People's thoughts would be much appreciated before i tackle it tomorrow. This is the engine i'm going to sell, but i need it to be running right before i can do that. It surely can't be the head gasket 'coz the engine's been so well looked after.

Cheers,

Al

big hp
27-06-2007, 16:58
Wet ecu, coilpack, water or oil in plug wells.

alex_e3
27-06-2007, 17:03
Yes, wet ECU did go through my head briefly also, after reading it on here before.

Will the ECU be buggered or would i just need to dry it off if it's that? Isn't that what the plastic case is there for though? - or just another crap renault design?!

drsmith1979
27-06-2007, 17:22
should be ok if you dry it off, you can always put the protective case in a plastic bag to give it extra protection

big hp
27-06-2007, 17:23
As above just dry it off and try and wrap or protect it.

wavy
27-06-2007, 17:53
i had same prob last year
water in s/p holes when it got hot turned to steam then missfired
hope that helps

alex_e3
29-06-2007, 09:48
Cheers guys!

Finally managed to get on here!

Problem sorted - was in fact oil in the plug wells. Took plugs and leads out, gave them all a damn good clean, then was perfect.

So just assuming it needs a cam cover gasket?

MAXIBOY
29-06-2007, 09:59
yes mate think there common faults. couple of quid from gsf

alex_e3
29-06-2007, 14:47
Cheers fella!