PDA

View Full Version : Im on the verge of selling the 16v - Immobiliser, Im V MAD!

1995clio16v
26-06-2007, 21:33
Right,

Please read on I know theres a lot bu lads im in desperate need of your help!

The 16v has really cracked me now. I really have had enough. Its really really really really really starting to piss me off! Its at work stranded on the trading estate because of ANOTHER problem with the alarm immobiliser.

Note the sunroof leaks and trickles onto the eye and alarm panel. Is this the base of my problems?

This is the problem, please give me your thoughts or what is wrong;

My alarm/immobiliser keeps ****ing up. Cause the immob is on the fob to disarm when it goes ****ed I cant start it. Its been playing up for a week but i keep bringing the eye inside with the alarm panel and drying it out and its sweet. However this time its gone ****ed. It wont plip at all. Ive tried absolutely everything. Ive spent 2 hours at work tonight before I finally gave up.

Its done this twice before and both times Ive has to take it to renault to get the key re-coded, does that sound about right?

Any other suggestions before I send it in again tomorrow and it costs me another £100+!

I found the alarm immobiliser under the scuttle panel and tried disconnecting both the wires which I presume are alarm/immobiliser but didnt do anything!

IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN DISARM THE IMMOBILISER? or is it not as simple as that. I dont need the immobiliser and feel this is the way to resolve the problem.

Im thinking along the lines of an after market alarm system because this is the 3rd time now and its pissing me off so Im presuming this will stop the problem!

Plus Ive just spent £105 on some new EAGLE F1'S today and this happens, typical!

Please help lads!
Cheers
Leigh.

MAXIBOY
26-06-2007, 21:44
get a phase one ecu without the immobiliser fitted. are you sure it the sunroof and not the aerial thats leaking

1995clio16v
26-06-2007, 21:54
Good one maxi!

Yeah its def the sunroof.

The plastic cog is worn and I need a new one.

See this link with pic:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22338

So it pisses in around the sunroof. Its my own fault as I should have gotten it sorted. Still stuck as to where to get one.

Does it sound to you as though it will need fettling by renault?

What implications are involved with fitting phase I ECU, any? Or plug and play?

MAXIBOY
26-06-2007, 22:16
think there just plug and play as far as i,m aware mine had a phase 1 ecu on mine. you could try mat brown or winston. think mat might have done this.

1995clio16v
26-06-2007, 22:32
Nice one, cheers maxi.

nyk
26-06-2007, 22:42
yeah it is just plug an play, I've had a pH1 ECU on my Ph 2 valver, its just the other way around they dont work lol

Check out e bay as well.

1995clio16v
26-06-2007, 22:46
Just PMd Andyfielder, he's got one for sale.

Nowt doing on ebay.

How much they worth? £20?

This might sound daft but car electrics are right over my head, but when its plugged in does the immobiliser simply become redundant, so just takes up space?

What happens with the central locking do I not need to get it coded to the key or is that nothing to do with the ECU?

1995clio16v
26-06-2007, 22:48
yeah it is just plug an play, I've had a pH1 ECU on my Ph 2 valver, its just the other way around they dont work lol

Check out e bay as well.

Why did you change your NYK to phase I?

FATBOY
26-06-2007, 22:57
do away with it and get a new alarm/immobiliser fitted! i did after mine ****ed up! remember these alarm immobilisers have been on these cars for 10+ years and nothing lasts forever does it? i know its an expensive option but in the long run its worth it.

MAXIBOY
26-06-2007, 23:01
This might sound daft but car electrics are right over my head, but when its plugged in does the immobiliser simply become redundant, so just takes up space?

What happens with the central locking do I not need to get it coded to the key or is that nothing to do with the ECU?

yeah i think the immobiliser is built into the ecu. central locking works as normal. nothing to do with ecu i think. ecu stop the fuel pump and spark working.

nyk
26-06-2007, 23:21

Check out e bay as well.

Why did you change your NYK to phase I?

I only tried it out for a week cos it had a different map to mine.

1995clio16v
27-06-2007, 07:58
Ive have been offered a phase I ecu now.

It has been pointed out that I may need the black box? Is this correct?

What exactly is this?

There is a black thing under my passenger scutle panel which mmay be it?

Or I have some thing that is shaped like a spark plug (slightly bigger) under my passenger speaker with a key to turn on & off.

PLease enlighten me!?

Cheers
Leigh.

northy
27-06-2007, 08:09
Trace all wires on the alarm remove and reconnect as per original

Matty86
27-06-2007, 09:47
mines a ph1 with an imobiliser :?

got another 'ph1' ecu in the garage too with an imobiliser...

moggs
27-06-2007, 17:09
could change the remote fob and the pcb with the eye on it. Thats what i did when water damaged the first one. wrap the pcb in something to protect it a little too.

1995clio16v
27-06-2007, 18:23
Right after many phone calls today I have decided as per Northy's suggestion to do awy with the factory shite and get an aftermarket fitted.

Phoned clifford, man theyre talking absolute telephone numbers! The guy was trying to sell me one at £699 concept 650 and when I said too expensive he immediately dropped it to £499!

Anyway, I have been told by renault and all my local auto electricians have said too, that renault need to immobilise (de-immobilise) the thing beofore I can send it away to get an aftermarket one fitted.

TRUE?

When this is done im away, but its turning into serious cash, and i aint got much at the moment but i realise its worth it in the long run.

u33db
27-06-2007, 19:17
No offence but thats a lot to spend on a thousand pound car.

I'd just take the standard alarm/immobiliser out and leave it at that. If you must, spend 50 quid on a steering/gearstick lock.

700quid for a clifford...chances are you'd only get offerred that in insurance money if it got nicked anyway!

cliolord
27-06-2007, 19:27
clifford alarms are cack (no offence to anyone) always going off so people ignore them. You dont need renault to disable the old immobiliser....a qualified auto electrician will bypass it or do what maxi said 8) factory immobiliser is pants

1995clio16v
27-06-2007, 20:51
Absolutely lads, no way im going for a clifford,

Still weighing up the options with the alarm V phase I ECU.

If I do go for an alarm/immob it will be a cobra or toad.

MAXIBOY
27-06-2007, 21:53
also check with your insurance as many give a good discount with a cat one. toads my favourite but its can be down to the installer how good they are

1995clio16v
27-06-2007, 22:19
TBH maxi, Im not bothered about thatcham 1 cause Im only paying £430 fully comp now so Ill be lucky to get £20 off with a thatcham 1 I reckon.

Been quoted £175 + Vodka And Tonic for a Toad, with immob/alarm and remote central locking. It aint thatcham approved tho, but not too bothered. Been phoning round all day and thats by far the cheapest ive been quoted.

Im tempted by the phase I ecu as is the cheaper opton but I dont quite see how I can plug it in and Im away? Am I being really paranoid, cause I can just see it might not be that simple?

MAXIBOY
27-06-2007, 22:26
well it does and for 20 quidish i would risk it.

1995clio16v
27-06-2007, 22:38
Sorted,

Finally feel as tho im getting somewhere now, just had a pm off someone who has a 432 door which Ive been after for 3 months to replace my heavily dented one and hopefully it will be as near a perfect match.

Got my new F1's coming next week and cant wait to try them out, hopefully they arent made of chocolate like my proxes and theyll last a bit longer although I do love my proxes, just fancied a change cause they only last about 5000 miles!

Im starting to smile now!

:o

donsrno1
29-06-2007, 19:14
Did you just fit a Ph1 ECU? Its the best option by far imo as it would sort the problem straight away.

1995clio16v
29-06-2007, 19:34
Im about to buy one from andy for future issues/possibly for current use.

I got it sorted an renault reluctantly, sunroof is siliconed up now until new one/2nd one is here.

Last question from me on this subject. Car electronics are way over my head.

Right - If I fit the phase one ecu surely my keys will not work with the ecu because as I understand it my current fob is coded to my alarm/immobiliser/ecu package and also with my immobiliser built in with my ecu surely my keys are specific to my ecu? Correct or not?

Are you saying I would have no immobiliser from here on in by fitting a phase I ecu? Thats sort of what Im after.

Cheers as always guys
Leigh.
:shock:

nyk
29-06-2007, 20:03
I'm no expert on this, but when I put the Ph1 ECU on mine, no coding of keys etc were required as it was still sending to the original sensor -that was never changed.

The immobiliser is within the ECU, and most Ph1's dont have them, so by changing the ECU you are getting rid of the immobiliser. Thats my understanding anyway.

cliolord
29-06-2007, 20:32
another option is a META alarm thats cat1 and it only costs around 250

bass_direct
30-06-2007, 02:15
get a phase 1 ecu, it has nothing to do with central locking thingy or anything else, it will disable the immobiliser, and will be problem free :)

it's exactly what i did to my old phase 2 valver.

donsrno1
30-06-2007, 14:11
Exactly as bass says. Basically if you put a ph1 ECU in the car effectively has no imobiliser so it doesn't matter about any sort of problems with the key etc.

1995clio16v
30-06-2007, 15:49
Cheers lads,

Everything understood now!

Andyvalver
30-06-2007, 16:01
get a phase one ecu without the immobiliser fitted. are you sure it the sunroof and not the aerial thats leaking

You read my mind. If you still get symtoms after that then its not the immobilser.

I bought one a while back for about 12 quid off ebay. There is one now on there but its for an N reg so it wont work unfortunatly.

Go to a breakers and find one

Ingram11
30-06-2007, 19:45
i got my clifford concept 650 cat1 fitted for 350 quid?got immobaliser proximity sensors etc,bargain! 8)

seanofnp
30-06-2007, 19:58
I may have a ph1 ecu for sale if my spare car doesnt sell soon we will break it.

Il contact you if it does mate. Will know this week.

mon
30-06-2007, 21:58
can you not get this immobaliser switched off by reno using there computer .. i was told this by a alarm fitter when getting a price for a new alarm .. he said you need to take it to renault and disable the immobaliser before he fit new alarm i was looking at a sigma or toad

was looking due to reno wanted £65 to resync my 1st fob wankers

i never went to reno to ask try them first

1995clio16v
01-07-2007, 12:10
can you not get this immobaliser switched off by reno using there computer .. i was told this by a alarm fitter when getting a price for a new alarm .. he said you need to take it to renault and disable the immobaliser before he fit new alarm i was looking at a sigma or toad

was looking due to reno wanted £65 to resync my 1st fob wankers

i never went to reno to ask try them first

The trouble with this subject is when you phone around to alarm fitters/shops/dealers etc you get a different story everytime!

I was told by some that you cant get an after market alarm fitted cause of the way renault immob is done.

Some said you can.

I could go on all day so gave up with them.

Got far more sense on here from the guys, but thats obviously because most ppl on here have done the tried and tested methods!

bass_direct
02-07-2007, 01:49
phase 1 ecu, get it and you'll never look back :)

Laine_16v
02-07-2007, 07:34
Im quite surprised for this very reason, the price of ph1 ECU's hasnt shot up! I should think they are in demand!

rsshawn
02-07-2007, 19:58
can you not get this immobaliser switched off by reno using there computer

Leigh, you can do this yourself. On the end of one of the stalks on the r/h side (might be wipers, but not sure 100% off the top of my head) there is a button. Look in your manual and it tells you that this is to disable the immobiliser if it goes in for service or whatever. Speak to Renault and tell them you want the code for it. The book tells you how to disable it once you know the code.

My missus did this on hers as she had the same problem with the immobiliser messing up and leaving her stranded. After being towed to Renault a couple of times and paying through the nose for keys to be re-coded we found this little snippit by chance. It is now permanently disabled. This also allowed a seperate after-market top alarm/ immob system to be fitted without the two working against each other.
8)

DaveH
02-07-2007, 20:21
An after market alarm and immobiliser will not affect your standard renault one! Usually an aftermarket immobiliser is wired to cut off either the ignition or the fuel supply.

Mine for example is a ph2 with standard renault imob and also a sigma alarm/imob, the renault one is in the ecu which was previously said but the sigma one cuts the fuel so if i dont disarm the renault one nothing happens when i turn the key but if i disarm the renault one but not the sigma one it starts and then cuts out due to the fuel cut off!!! So basically i have to disarm both immobs to start the car (royal pain in the arse)

I borrowed said ph1 ecu off nyk for a week and it did away with the renault one so i only had to disarm the after market one!

If you've kept up with all that you're a gud'un! I would personally use a ph1 ecu and get a proper alarm/imob fitted

rsshawn
02-07-2007, 20:24
I would personally use a ph1 ecu and get a proper alarm/imob fitted
There's no need to replace the ecu if he disables the immobiliser using the info I supplied above. Why spend extra cash if he doesn't need to ? :wink:

DaveH
02-07-2007, 20:30
Two things-

Didnt read your post :oops:
Always wondered what that button was for :oops: :oops: :wink:

rsshawn
02-07-2007, 20:31
Lol. No probs Dave. 8)

mon
02-07-2007, 20:36

Leigh, you can do this yourself. On the end of one of the stalks on the r/h side (might be wipers, but not sure 100% off the top of my head) there is a button. Look in your manual and it tells you that this is to disable the immobiliser if it goes in for service or whatever. Speak to Renault and tell them you want the code for it. The book tells you how to disable it once you know the code.

My missus did this on hers as she had the same problem with the immobiliser messing up and leaving her stranded. After being towed to Renault a couple of times and paying through the nose for keys to be re-coded we found this little snippit by chance. It is now permanently disabled. This also allowed a seperate after-market top alarm/ immob system to be fitted without the two working against each other.
8)

i have this button were said but thougt it was used for reno 19 trip computer also were in book does it say how to disable the immobiliser

rsshawn
02-07-2007, 20:47
In the user manual (mine has a blue clio on the cover) page 1.08

1995clio16v
03-07-2007, 23:51

8)

Im a bit sceptical of this mate tbh.

I thought that was a trip comp button for the 19. As we know the 16v has a lot of parts that the 19 has.

If I read in my manual about emergency decoding for the immob its says to ring renault, get the code and its something to do with the door lock button from the inside. You push it X amount of times to put the code in!

Not sure about this neither.

Anyway...Ive bought a phase 1 ecu off of anydyfielder so gonna give that a go going from everyones recommendations.

Cheers again.

rsshawn
04-07-2007, 07:58
Why are you sceptical?
That button IS for the immobiliser. That is how you disable the immobiliser so you can run an aftermarket one (otherwise if you don't diusable it you will have to press the alarm fob to disarm that, PLUS the Reno fob to disarm that. If it's the Reno part whicxh is messing up,..which it is: using the button disables it.

Read the manual. It tells you in there. I'll even scan the bloody page if you don't believe me !! :roll:
You will need the code from Reno as you have to input that using the button & one of the pedals.

You just can't help some people.... :? :oops:

1995clio16v
04-07-2007, 15:19
Bloody hell mate!

I was just putting my views across, wasnt meant to offend!

I will look into it and have a go.

mon
04-07-2007, 16:18
YEA SCAN IT LOL

rsshawn
05-07-2007, 08:58
I was just putting my views across, wasnt meant to offend!
Fair enough. Just the way it was written made it sound like I was talking rubbish & you didn't believe me.

Just trying to save you spending money on an ecu that you don't need or having to keep re-visiting Renault (even tho you now have an ecu).

I wish someone had given us this info when we had our same problem. Cost us 3 trips to Renault to get the keys "re-coded" apparently at £=stoopid, time off work towing the car to the garage each time & the initial mess around when we broke down, plus we never knew when it would happen again so we couldn't trust the car over any journey length apart from into town and close to home incase it happened again. Since finding that gem of info by sheer co-incidence when looking for something else in the manual one day the car's spot-on..and enabled us to fit a proper alarm/immob combo that isn't going to give us those problems the Reno rubbish did.

Andyvalver
05-07-2007, 13:29
This clio is being broken on ebay. Message the guy and ask him for the ecu! They only sell for like 10 or 20 quid on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-1-8-16V-BREAKING-FOR-SPARES-ENGINE-GEARBOX_W0QQitemZ190129247757QQihZ009QQcategoryZ10 410QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:D

rsshawn
06-07-2007, 13:13
Here's the page with all the info.

The left column just says if you have a problem you need to disable the immob.

The centre column tells you how to input the code (which you need from Renault).

The right column tells you how to re-enable the immob should you wish to. If you get a new alarm/immob then you won't need to re-enable it.

Tell-tale light 8 isn't pictured, but this is the orange "pulse" immobiliser light on the right hand side of the clocks: row of lights, 2nd from bottom above the hazard light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/rsshawn/Immobiliser.jpg

mon
06-07-2007, 18:59
Here's the page with all the info.

The left column just says if you have a problem you need to disable the immob.

The centre column tells you how to input the code (which you need from Renault).

The right column tells you how to re-enable the immob should you wish to. If you get a new alarm/immob then you won't need to re-enable it.

Tell-tale light 8 isn't pictured, but this is the orange "pulse" immobiliser light on the right hand side of the clocks: row of lights, 2nd from bottom above the hazard light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/rsshawn/Immobiliser.jpg

WOT PAGE IS THAT CAUSE I LOOKED THROUGH MY BOOK AND IT IS NOT THERE

going to print this off thanks also wot code do you use?

rsshawn
06-07-2007, 19:11
No probs.
Like I said before :wink: Page 1.08 in the clio user manual.
Third time....the code you have to get from RENAULT. :)

mon
06-07-2007, 19:16
No probs.
Like I said before :wink: Page 1.08 in the clio user manual.
Third time....the code you have to get from RENAULT. :)

yea def not in my manual must of changed it wankers lol but mine was one of the last on a n reg .. can not beleve them maggots changed it also the code do they charge for it the one i need at reno?

rsshawn
06-07-2007, 19:29
Ours is also an N plate so don't know what's up there.
The book has blue clio RT on the cover, dated 1994 bottom of page 0.01 (a normal page 2) then the back cover has the numbers
77 11 178 601 - NE 572 94 11 95 - 3rd Edition anglaise.

Don't see why the others should be any different if they cover the 16v?

As for being charged to get the code: depends how friendly your Reno dealer is. Speak to the service guys nicely & explain you keep having an immob problem and you'd like the code so you can discount it from your checks before bringing it in to them to be replaced if it is that. (which you're not going to as you'd get a proper alarm/immob anyway :wink: ).

mon
06-07-2007, 19:32
Ours is also an N plate so don't know what's up there.
The book has blue clio RT on the cover, dated 1994 bottom of page 0.01 (a normal page 2) then the back cover has the numbers
77 11 178 601 - NE 572 94 11 95 - 3rd Edition anglaise.

Don't see why the others should be any different if they cover the 16v?

As for being charged to get the code: depends how friendly your Reno dealer is. Speak to the service guys nicely & explain you keep having an immob problem and you'd like the code so you can discount it from your checks before bringing it in to them to be replaced if it is that. (which you're not going to as you'd get a proper alarm/immob anyway :wink: ).

yea mine is 4th edition 1995 77 11 179 871 ne 572 95 03 95

lol maggots

rsshawn
06-07-2007, 19:52
Typical. :roll:
At least you have the info now :D

mon
06-07-2007, 21:00
Typical. :roll:
At least you have the info now :D

yea thanks mate on wonder this topic and the orthers were confusing me