PDA

View Full Version : Induction Kit Question

northsnumberone
26-06-2007, 19:49
I purchased a Willy last year, not the best example of a Williams 1 and needed quite a bit of TLC (money!!!) however all done now and the body work and paint is mint as are the refurbished alloys, treat it to a new exhaust and for the first time in a year I am actually now liking the car I always wanted (it was initially bought as a project but when 'she' decided she wanted a new house my P1 was sacrificed).

Anyway, thats the boring background, am thinking of an induction kit so a) how much better/smoother performance will it offer b) how much impact on petrol will it make. Had one on a valver 12 years ago and seem to remember it making a bit of a dent on b).

Also, and I know this sounds really bad, I get about 280/320 miles out of a full tank, I can't get anymore technical than this, is this about right?

Matty86
26-06-2007, 19:51
usually standard airbox + ITG panel filter is the recommended choice on here

it's what I'm running too. Used to have a k&n which sounded amazing, but heatsoak was noticable!

MAXIBOY
26-06-2007, 20:25
or the expensive induction kit from hill power is good.

willywayne
26-06-2007, 23:11
I have just took my piperx induction kit off at the weekend, it will never be going back on again!

The difference with standard airbox and piperx panel filter is unreal!

peteh
27-06-2007, 22:33
or the expensive induction kit from hill power is good.

i have one of them, but it seems to me to be slower with it on, had a K+N before, looking out for standard box and element now to give that a go.

does everybody recommend decats?

MAXIBOY
27-06-2007, 22:34
the one that sits in the scuttle panel i mean. good results being seen

peteh
27-06-2007, 22:36
arhh maybe not then :?

drsmith1979
28-06-2007, 00:27
for me the decat does release extra power and makes the engine rev more freely, however, depending on your system it can be a little too loud for everyday driving, hence people going for silenced decat pipes.

i have the old hillpower fitted and i too think its a little down on the previous larger ram air induction kit, however, it does not have any cold feeds and is due a clean. it does sound awesome!

scuttle panel is the way to go if you have the patience, sounds sexual! haha

drsmith1979
28-06-2007, 00:28
for me the decat does release extra power and makes the engine rev more freely, however, depending on your system it can be a little too loud for everyday driving, hence people going for silenced decat pipes.

i have the old hillpower fitted and i too think its a little down on the previous larger ram air induction kit, however, it does not have any cold feeds and is due a clean. it does sound awesome!

scuttle panel is the way to go if you have the patience, sounds sexual! haha

Coops
28-06-2007, 00:51
decat is worth having a nosey at for £20 or whatever you can blag one for, but its down to individual driving style and the individual engine as much as anything as theres a mixed review of them. suck it and see is whats in order! :wink:

i/k sounds mean but does heatsoak considerably unless relocated to the scuttle panel! personally i prefer the o/e look of the bay with the proper airbox in and just run a replacement filter element such as an ITG and either leave the o/e air ducting or reroute a cold air feed to the box from the front bumper (remove a foglight or the blanking plate next to it)