PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue with clio 16v

phantome46
26-06-2007, 15:14
I seem to have an issue with my clio 16v starting up.

I recently had a new engine put into the car but I am having some issues with starting it up.

When you crank the car from cold the starter motor does not rapidly spin over but the engine does fire fairly easily and seems to run fine. But once the car has got really hot/ and the fan has cut in etc. and you turn it off and try and re start then the starter motor struggles to turn over almost like the battery is flat? I have put a new battery in the car and this seems to be fine?

I have also checked the output from the alternator and get 13.8 volts on running, so battery must be charging OK?

I have been told that because I don't have a starter motor heatshield then this could be an issue? But not sure why?

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

Phantom.

Laine_16v
26-06-2007, 15:18
Its the sort of thing you would expect from a hear damaged starteer motor. New starter motor time if you want to improve it.

ALso invest in a heatshield.

MAXIBOY
26-06-2007, 15:20
without the heatshield the starter get hot and is harder to turn. but other people run without them ok. i would start with earths as it sounds as you have a problem cold that gets worse when hot.

also if this has only happened since fitting the new engine i start there before going any further. maybe add an extra earth to the starter bolts with a jump lead to the negative terminal and see if it improves at all

phantome46
26-06-2007, 15:55
So just put a negative jump lead on the back of the starter motor bolt and ground it to the battery?

I will also check the earth straps for the engine?

MAXIBOY
26-06-2007, 16:40
yes from one of the starter motor securing bolts that run though the gearbox. if it improves you an earth problem. if not and its receiving twelve volts its a starter problem