PDA

View Full Version : steering problem

titcharoony
26-06-2007, 10:34
Ever since I've had my williams 3 Ive found that in the centre of turn for the steering i.e. straight, there seems to be no feel. Theres maybe an ince of swing either right or left before you feel the wheels turn. This obv is not good on a williams, and to be honest, especially under braking or accelerating is a little strange. Nothing major when driving, I havnt had any scary moments becaue of it, but it is something I think needs sorting. Now the tracking DOES need doing, but I dont think this should give it this sort of problem, even if its out by quite a lot. I just feel some of the folks on here who've had williams for a while will have come across this...So does anyone know what the hell needs doing with my steering, how much it costs and what the hell is wrong! lol cheers people.

Tommo
26-06-2007, 12:23
Sounds like play in the steering column mate. Nothing too major, you have 2 options...

New column - pricey and will wear out again.

Or weld the joint. The rubber will have worn within the universal joint causing the play in the steering, these can be welded up quite easily (by an experienced welder!) I'm sure somebody off here will offer do do it, I had a photo somewhere of where to weld, I'll try to dig it out. I had mine done about 18 months ago and it's been fine.

titcharoony
26-06-2007, 12:34
ahhh ok cheers. how much did your job cost? Its not a big deal but Id like to get it done....if you find anyone or anyone is competant enough to do it well...just reply on here....cheers!

bass_direct
26-06-2007, 12:49
I can do it, £15, but i'm based in london, where are you?

northy
26-06-2007, 13:00
new column is £130 from renault

titcharoony
26-06-2007, 14:04
I prefer the 15 quid idea. lol im based in the midlands..but if it can be done in a day I dont mind coming to you...im on holiday from thursday so Ill have to pm you when im back if thats ok? But if be chuffed to bits if you could sort it for me..ill come to you like i said.

Tommo
26-06-2007, 18:00
ahhh ok cheers. how much did your job cost? Its not a big deal but Id like to get it done....if you find anyone or anyone is competant enough to do it well...just reply on here....cheers!

I got Ste at Port-Formance in Warrington to do mine mate, but £15 is a good price so prob best taking it to bass_direct