PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate Glass

an02rew
22-06-2007, 23:08
Looking into buying a new tailgate, how easy is it to rebond the glass onto the new tailgate? what would i use to do this? would i need new seals?

Also, is it easy enough to fit it in, swapping over the locks and wipers etc?

Thanks in advance :)

Andrew.

1fast6
22-06-2007, 23:28
it is not bonded in it is fixed in using the rubber seal. You use plastic leavers to put it back in / remove it. Probably available from halfords.

Very easy to replace boot lock, just held in by a thin metal plate.

Wiper can be a pain as they are ally and tend to corrode onto the stub. I use a puller on them to avoid damaging the tailgate. Do not be tempted to use a balljoint separator etc on it or you will most likely damage it.

AndyFielder
22-06-2007, 23:37
easiest thing ever!

push the old one out.

out the new one on the glass, put nylon washing line string in the bit where the metal would go in the rubber seal. cross them over. put in the top/sides of the rubber into the boot hole.

having the string in the middle at the bottom. bull the string/use your fingers to help get the sea to pull through, hit the glass a bit with a fist to help it sit well. If its stiff or you want to be extra safe against spitting things, lube up the rubber with washing up liquid and water...

Hope that helps

Andy

Daz.
23-06-2007, 00:04
Penetrating oil works a treat on back wiper nuts - just start spraying it on constantly for a good week before attempting to remove!

Hulio
24-06-2007, 09:41
The only thing that I found a little tricky when I changed my bootlid last week was the little yellow drain pipe that connects to the back of the lock came off and I its then fiddly to get back on to its drain hole at the bottom of the bootlid so watch for this when you remove the lock.

I replaced the glass with just my hands...........didn't even use the string method

AndyFielder
24-06-2007, 09:53
tbh i started with string then did the rest with fingers!... its really really easy!

snowman
24-06-2007, 10:03
Need good strong string or i used the luminous grass strimmer cable,glides better :wink:

Ingram11
01-07-2007, 14:25
i have a tailgate glass for sale,tenner plus post if u want it?

AndyFielder
01-07-2007, 14:55
As do i

Andy

snowman
01-07-2007, 14:56
I need a new rear glass as my rear heated screen connector has snapped off now,can either of you find out postage as id be interested if the connectors are in tact?

Ingram11
01-07-2007, 23:52
yeh ok m8 i'll have a look 4 u