PDA

View Full Version : Petrol leak, but not the usual kind!

cliokiz
22-06-2007, 07:22
Hi Folks,

Recently, i've started to smell an extremely strong smell of petrol inside the car when it's been parked overnight, or when its sitting still. Really wakes you up in the morning when you get in the car and you can smell it lol

I've looked under the car in the morning when it's been sat but there's no visible drip marks on the floor, and i've looked under when it's running and again no drip marks.

I did notice though, under the rear bench, if i pull the plastic cover off, it looks 'wet' around the outside rim of what i'm guessing is the fuel pump. There's 3 pipes leading to it and none of them look wet or look like they're leaking, it's just around the outside, at the back. Any ideas what this could be?

Recently i filled my car up to the rim with petrol so that must be bringing the petrol close to the top of the tank, but should it be leaking out of the top?

Suggestions please! :shock:

Amirclio
22-06-2007, 09:43
mmmmmm,

In my sisters old car when she filled it up to much it smelt, her car had like an overflow thing on it. Could it be that?

Rich
22-06-2007, 11:57
prob fuel tank seal has started to go i'd say mate. needs replacing

cliokiz
22-06-2007, 12:44
Big job to replace it? Or should i just not fill it all the way up lol

Rich
22-06-2007, 13:20
not a massive job tbh, disconnect the fuel pipes, then you have to knock the top of the fuel pump round with a hammer and screwdriver to unscrew it (yes this is how renault themselves do it so its not a cowboy way) and lift the pump up to remove the old seal, replace with a new one (from removing it from the packet to the pump you have to do reasonably quick or the new seal will distort), screw the top back down, connect fuel pipes and bish bash bosh its done :wink: (no idea how much a new seal is though :oops: )

cliokiz
22-06-2007, 18:20
Sounds like fun :shock:

Price on one of those bad boys please??