PDA

View Full Version : Am i killing lambda sensors - Gunner, might need your input

BRUN
21-06-2007, 23:54
ive suffered for quite a while from the problem where you get hesitation, and poor idling about 30 seconds after start up and for a minute or so after

ages ago i got a lambda fitted at LTR which solved the problem, then it came back and i lived with it for a while, not being certain that a new lambda would fix it as i bought a good one the first time (NGK)

when i got my cambelt and head gasket done at GDI i bought a Bosch lambda and they fitted that for me, and the problem had gone when i got it back

now, its come back, i cant quite remember but i think it was 3/4 months ago that i had the work done and im starting to think this lambda has gone on me aswell, well at least the warm up coil in it

what could cause these to fail on me so quickly, i am using V-Power fuel but i dont use any other additives on top, and i dont thrash my car (ask 2live lol)

my other thought is that it isnt the lambda at all, and its an ECU reset which solves the problem from the battery being off for ages when ive had other work done, or that ive got some other problem

i do have a hill power chip but i doubt its that

anyone any ideas ?

drsmith1979
21-06-2007, 23:59
are you losing water? normally any silicone i.e. from coolant additives, can foul the sensor and cause it to stop working?

does sound like a lambda as replacing it obviously solved it, have you got your original receipt? im sure bosch gaurentees its stuff for 12months or so, take it back and get another

BRUN
22-06-2007, 00:01
i do have my receipt yes, but i dont want to keep changing them if i can avoid it, i want to prevent it

im still not 100% the lambda fixes the problem, but it does appear to, ive always got some other problem at the same time so i can never be certain of anything

drsmith1979
22-06-2007, 01:27
are you running a chip? maybe the car is constantly over fueling and overloading the lambda? happened to me once on my BMW E39 5 series.

BRUN
22-06-2007, 18:20
yup im running a hill power chip, though i do have another i can try in it so maybe i should

Smudger
23-06-2007, 08:11
ive notic3ed lately that some mornings my car is really hesitant then all of a sudden it will pick up and drive fine.as you say after a minute or so.

think mine could be plugs leads or distriutor cap tho as i doubt they have been changed recently

BRUN
22-07-2007, 20:31
anyone else any input ?

ive changed my chip and it wasnt that, also my hill power chip is WAY better than the one ive put in, car is slower, so the hill power chip will be going back in once i can sort this problem out

think im gonna have to buy another lambda but at this rate ill need 3 a year and at £50 a piece i cant afford to be doing that !

drsmith1979
22-07-2007, 21:14
exhaust leak on the manifold/downpipe?

BRUN
08-10-2007, 19:04
think ive got this problem back again grrrr

its probably only lasted about 2 months this time

VIPERONE
08-10-2007, 19:05
get your emissions checked.. might be another problem thats killing your lambda sensors!

Lunner
08-10-2007, 19:14
can you not find a std ecu to try?

I've got one knocking around in my garage, i'll get number off it and it its the right one you can have it for pennies

BRUN
08-10-2007, 19:15
think ive got one actually, might give that a go, only problem is ive got cams so i wouldnt want to end up running lean top end with it

BRUN
08-10-2007, 19:22
i doubt its this, but i dont have the little heat shield on my lambda, could that be it ?

the lambda itself is working fine, its the warm up coil inside i suspect has gone on me again

drsmith1979
08-10-2007, 20:16
sorry to hear its back again, i dont have the heat shield on mine either but its fine. does your exhaust catch on speed bumps? does it move excessively? the impact could be damaging your lambda coil. failing that, get an emmissions check, lambdas dont like working when the emissions are way off and becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.