PDA

View Full Version : car wont start after engine swap?

LOU'S CLIO
20-06-2007, 18:47
recently ive put a williams 2 engine into my valver.

Went to start it today and it turns over but will not start?

Its a williams 2 engine with williams ecu and running the 16v loom, I do have the loom which came with the willy engine, but got told to use the loom thats with the car not the engine?

When you turn the key i cannont hear the fuel pump priming, its as if the imobiliser is on but it isnt? just turns over but doesnt fire up.

Any help would be great.

arj256
20-06-2007, 19:14
If you cant hear the fuel pump priming, then that would be a good area to go and have a look.
Check the usual like fuses cables etc.
Do you have an immobiliser?

LOU'S CLIO
20-06-2007, 19:30
i think its the standard one which you switch on and off via a key in the glovebox?

MAXIBOY
20-06-2007, 20:43
try the valver ecu

stan
20-06-2007, 21:11
Its likely the fuel pump wire isnt in the right place on the car/loom multi-plug.

AndyFielder
20-06-2007, 21:55
phase 2 williams ECU = immobilizer as he wont have the right unit to go with it.

it should start on your 1.8 ECU... try it.

LOU'S CLIO
20-06-2007, 21:57
tryed both ecus and exaclty the same occured.

Its likely the fuel pump wire isnt in the right place on the car/loom multi-plug.

how can i test this?

anyhelp appreciated 8)

LOU'S CLIO
21-06-2007, 12:37
bump :(

stan
21-06-2007, 12:42
Any ecu should work.

The easiest way is to swap the looms over...i.e. use the orignal one which came on the car.

Clio-Girl
21-06-2007, 13:03
I had the same problem with mine a had no fuel pump and no spark i ended up having to call out an auto electrician it was something to do with the relays on mine

LOU'S CLIO
21-06-2007, 17:30
The easiest way is to swap the looms over...i.e. use the orignal one which came on the car.
im currently using the 1.8 loom ( the one that was on my car)not the loom that came with the willy engine. should i swap them?

Ive also noticed that the pertol guage doesnt work is fine untill the engine was swapped over? is this all connected :?

any help appreiated. 8)

LOU'S CLIO
21-06-2007, 17:32
im currently using the 1.8 loom ( the one that was on my car)not the loom that came with the willy engine. should i swap them?

Ive also noticed that the pertol guage doesnt work is fine untill the engine was swapped over? is this all connected :?

any help appreiated. 8)

Crossers
21-06-2007, 23:59
Does it spark when turned over?

If no prime or spark its an ECU/Immobiliser problem.

Mine ended up being the standard cobra immobiliser, had to cut the ruddy thing out. Cobra were fantastic help though, told me what to snip and where!

Paul

Chris H
22-06-2007, 15:57
someone already said try the 1.8 ecu, do that!

LOU'S CLIO
22-06-2007, 17:48
ok bit of a update.

tryed both ecus and was the same both times, the engine turns over but doesnt fire up.

The fuel pump isnt priming and also theres no spark.

is this the imobilser?

can i overrun the mob if so how

if its not this what else can i try

please help :) 8)

NAPLES VALVER 123
23-06-2007, 19:34
bump,

ive checked all the earths, crank sensor, swapped looms but the same thing.

The relays are clicking but the fuel pump is not priming and there is no spark.

what else can i do :?:

any help :cry: :cry: :cry: :x

NAPLES VALVER 123
23-06-2007, 20:30
recently ive put a williams 2 engine into my valver.

Went to start it today and it turns over but will not start?

Its a williams 2 engine with williams ecu and running the 16v loom, I do have the loom which came with the willy engine, but got told to use the loom thats with the car not the engine?

When you turn the key i cannont hear the fuel pump priming, its as if the imobiliser is on but it isnt? just turns over but doesnt fire up.

Any help would be great.

Sorry to steal your post by the way but im having exactly the same problems at the moment

some one please help us

Clio_GTT
24-06-2007, 09:22
Check that there is power to the ignition coil and fuel pump relay. If you want a quick fix splice an ignition live into the white wire under the fuel pump cover and a live and earth straight to the ignition coil.

LOU'S CLIO
24-06-2007, 15:31
ok, Im trying to narrow things down, if is not firing when i try both ecus does this mean it is not the imobbilser. The loom im using is the 1.8 and when i tryed the 1.8 ecu it still didnt start. so surely if it was the mob it would start when using the 1.8 ecu as the thats the one that matches the car and loom?

I really dont know where to start next.

Hows the best way to check power to igntion coil and pump relay?

any help :cry:

Crossers
24-06-2007, 21:22
What alarm/immobiliser have you got?

If its cobra i can help, if not...sorry :?

Paul

Crossers
24-06-2007, 21:25
Forget to say, what dash lights come on?

Check wi another clio and see if they are the same with the ignition on. When mine suffered from this problem some of the lights weren't on (can't remember which ones though)

Paul

LOU'S CLIO
24-06-2007, 21:53
thanks for the help, its got a standard mob which you switch on via the glovebox this makes a led flash on steering colum (ive made sure this is switched off) Its also got another key which switchs on an alarm which is by the window washer fluid and fuses. this is also standard :?

When i switch on, i get the three red lights above the petrol guage come on oil, battery and brake. also a orange one on far right of dash think its the abs?

northy
25-06-2007, 08:30
can u get a pic of your dash ?

LOU'S CLIO
25-06-2007, 12:31
yeah will do this afternoon what part do you want a pic off?

northy
25-06-2007, 13:08
Full dash board instrument panel will all ignition lights on

northy
25-06-2007, 13:08
oh - and go and get £5 of fuel and see if that helps ????

stan
25-06-2007, 16:32
If its got the key in the glove box, u need to check the wiring to that as they can break and cause the problems you are having.

Clio_GTT
25-06-2007, 17:29
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/coil.jpg get a multimeter on the +ve and -ve and make sure you've got 12v when the ignition is ON.

Lift up the circular flap underneath the rear seats and get the multimeter on the white wire and an earth to find out if the relay is providing power.

Also check the wires the glovebox switch as advised above

LOU'S CLIO
25-06-2007, 21:05
thanks for the help 8) much appreciated.

Ive put £10 of fuel in just to make sure.

Northy here are the pictures of the dash sorry the pics are poor was off the phone.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/shanehandley/DSC00423.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/shanehandley/DSC00421.jpg

these all come on when you turn the igntion the orange light goes out after a few seconds.

to check the wires in glove box is just a matter of taken the top half of dash off?

stan
25-06-2007, 21:26
yes basically.

cos the key switch turns slightly, the wires are easily broken.

fingers crossed!
:D

seanofnp
25-06-2007, 23:58
Ive recently put a williams 2 engine and ecu in my N reg valver with standard alarm and used the 1.8 loom. Fired first time!

As said, check connections is all i can think of!

LOU'S CLIO
26-06-2007, 16:19
UPDATE::

Ive tested the vlotage and the ignition module is getting 12v at the +ve of the the picture but no voltage at the -ve.

The fuel pump relay is getting no voltage from the beige wire which according to the hayes manual is the Fuel injection computer.

As for the fuel pump itself the only wires getting a voltage are the ones for the guage got a 5v from green and 12 from pink the the black and yellow were both 0.

i hope this is going to give you rmore idea on what my problem is :oops: :)

LOU'S CLIO
26-06-2007, 23:25
UPDATE::

Ive tested the voltage and the ignition module its getting 12v at the +ve of the the picture but no voltage at the -ve.

The fuel pump relay is getting no voltage from the beige wire, which according to the hayes manual is the Fuel injection computer.

As for the fuel pump itself, the only wires getting a voltage are the ones for the guage got a 5v from green and 12 from pink. The black and yellow were both 0.

i hope this is going to give you more of an idea what my problem is.

PLEASE HELP.