PDA

View Full Version : Is my fuel pump ****ed?

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 00:25
Car cut out, won't start, fuel pump doesn't sound like its priming, though on closer inspection it makes a quiet noise, much quieter than usual?

Can't access the pump from under the bench cause its ph1, if I hit round that area hit the sender the whining noise gets louder from the pump?

Pump ****ed?

BRUN
19-06-2007, 20:40
mines a phase 1 and my pump has the same part number as the williams' so im presuming mines an all in one unit, check yours it might be

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 21:17
Do you mean all in 1 with the fuel sender?

The pump is defo just to the right of the level sender, might try cutting a hole in the bench, anyone ever done this?

MAXIBOY
19-06-2007, 21:21
i,ve done a phase one fuel pump. take the tank out. hell of a job. can,t see you could cut a nice hole without damaging the tank underneath

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 21:23
Cant see the tank coming out the mounting look rusty as fck and I've only got axle stands :(

Surely if im very careful and only just cut through the metal I shouldnt damage the tank?

Can the tank be dropped with the fuel still in it, have about half a tank in there? Or can I only drop it slightly so I can cut through?

MAXIBOY
19-06-2007, 21:34
did mine on axle stands. but the bolts where a bitch. need to drain the fuel. maybe you could cut a hole but it would still be hard work as you need a pin wrench to remove the pump.

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 21:43
whats a pin wrench?

My friend has a tool to drain the petrol out will have to buy a jerry can for that, how many bolts are there to drop it?

Haynes only rates it at 2 spanners, whats so difficult about it?

MAXIBOY
19-06-2007, 21:49
pin wrench is a tool sort of like circlip pliers but bigger. not that difficult as long as the bolts come out without snapping.

MAXIBOY
19-06-2007, 21:49
ps theres five of them

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 21:51
Is that for the plastic ring holding the pump in? Is it mounted the same as later models except there isnt a hole under the bench for it?

MAXIBOY
19-06-2007, 22:03
pin wrench for removing the pump plastic retaining ring. five bolts to hold tank in. yes the same as later models except in later models the tank and sender are in one unit under the hole in the seat. on our models the sender is there but the pump is to the right in its own hole.

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 22:20
Stupid bloody french design! Btw could my problem be caused by a shagged fuel relay as I thought if the pump broke it breaks totally rather than mine where it fires up and and stalls etc

MAXIBOY
19-06-2007, 22:23
yes mate i check that first. never known one fail i only had to do mine due to an upgrade.

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 22:35
Could it be a blocked fuel filter? I checked voltage to the pump and thats fine so can't be the relay?

summeh
19-06-2007, 22:42
To drain the fuel tank remove the fuel supply pipe to the fuel rail, place end in a container, hot wire the connections going to terminals 3 and 5 on the fuel pump relay. :wink:

MAXIBOY
19-06-2007, 22:43
pull the pipe off put the end in a large clear pop bottle and get someone to turn the key.

BristolSam16v
20-06-2007, 01:08
I've got 20 litres of fuel in there thou, which I'll need a jerry can for, how long is the pipe from the injector rail lol

Also could it be a fuel filter issue? Would that cause it to make less noise than usual, as you can still hear it priming but its very faint compared to when the car was working :(

summeh
20-06-2007, 17:24
I've got 20 litres of fuel in there thou, which I'll need a jerry can for, how long is the pipe from the injector rail lol

Also could it be a fuel filter issue? Would that cause it to make less noise than usual, as you can still hear it priming but its very faint compared to when the car was working :(

Long enough for you to pull it to the side and put a length of garden hose over then into a container/jerry can.

Can't imagine the fuel filter would make that much difference, unless you had some sand or something go in the tank?

Clio-Girl
21-06-2007, 13:09
Do you mean all in 1 with the fuel sender?

The pump is defo just to the right of the level sender, might try cutting a hole in the bench, anyone ever done this?
i had my floor cut to get to my fuel pump it was so much easier as we dont have a ramp at home.

nobody can see it so im not worried!!

BRUN
21-06-2007, 23:56
have you checked that your pump is definitely seperate, what reg is your car

Chris H
22-06-2007, 15:56
sort of skipped over the other replies but, I have seen this a lot of times. Theres a hose from the pumps outlet to the actuall pump housing (where the fuel pipe connects on top of the tank) these can pop off.

Result is

no flow to the engine
no restriction to the pump

the last one means its pumping freely against no resistance which can make them a lot quieter