PDA

View Full Version : Willy as a track toy.

paw
18-06-2007, 17:56
I'm looking to use a Williams as a Sunday Toy and for the odd trackday. So a couple of questions, what is the best option for brake upgrades. and suspension standard or lowered?

Anyone know of a suitable car for sale (ie not mint or silly price)?

Paw

arj256
18-06-2007, 18:16
Whats classed as silly price lol.

paw
18-06-2007, 18:35
Looking at the for sale section some of the prices have look a bit strong, however this could have been for Mint cars. I'm looking for a project so something that starts with a 1 not a 2. Unless you can find #247, mine from new. (and I think the willy was more fun than the Lotus)

MAXIBOY
18-06-2007, 18:44
if your doing lots of track days a good brake upgrade is advisable. suspension is a personal choice i prefer coil overs. whats your budget for mods.

paw
18-06-2007, 19:08
That will really come down to the price of the car, and what needs to be done for starters. I'm not sure I want to go too low from reading a few of the posts.

I was going to look in to the set up of the cup cars.

MAXIBOY
18-06-2007, 19:19
ask northy he knows about the cup specs.

Daz.
18-06-2007, 22:32
Suspension.... don't tamper with perfection! ™

Zollo
19-06-2007, 08:56
Suspension.... don't tamper with perfection! ™

Suspension.... modified, schmodified... just drive faster! ™

Zollo
19-06-2007, 09:02
Seriously, though, the standard brake setup would be fine with some decent pads and brake fluid. I did a track day with the completely standard setup (inc standard pads n fluid) and, although not massively confidence inspiring through the pedal towards the end of the day, they never faded or let me down.

Suspension is more difficult, as it's much more a matter of personal preference. If you're using the car a lot more on the road than track, you can't really beat the standard suspension (IMO), as it never embarasses itself on the track and (arguably!) drives with better composure on the road. Also, it seems a lot of people have had issues with the fitment of their coilovers, and they do seem to need rebuilds rather to regularly. However, you'd really need to spend about £500 renewing the standard components, so it's not really the cheap option...

paw
19-06-2007, 10:23
Thats was my thinking, the suspension will be past its best. So do I renew with standard / minor change (koni and standard springs) or the works coilover or some kind of Cup pack /Group N?

northy
19-06-2007, 10:35
u do not want cup suspension if u intend to drive it on the road mate - its really hard.

Have a look at the projects section *0171* this is going to be a trackday fast road car.

So far when i update the thread we are having a road legal, slick tired, coilovered, bucket seated, rollcaged, polybushed williams 1 !

paw
19-06-2007, 11:05
Does the polybushing make a great dif?

northy
19-06-2007, 12:41
Weve not yet tried them on the road - but the design and the way the bush works will allow the suspension to move alot easier

Swervin_Mervin
19-06-2007, 13:47
It really all comes down to want you want to use it for in terms of road/track and also how you want to drive on track.

I tend to side with Zollo in that I think it's better to retain the std setup. As long as it's all refreshed (cooling system, braking system and suspension) then I think even a std car will give you a great tool with which you can get to learn the car properly.

Or you could just mod it from the off which should allow you to go faster without having to master your driving skills and the car's full abilities. :wink:

paw
19-06-2007, 14:27
You mean drop it on the first corner. :roll:

Swervin_Mervin
19-06-2007, 14:30
No, no. Just some people like to go quicker by modding their cars. Others prefer to try and learn how to extract everything from the std setup by improving their skills and really learning the full abilities of the car.

paw
19-06-2007, 15:05
light mods sounds the way to go;

new standard suspension + pollybush.

New disks / Pads / lines

have fun.

Swervin_Mervin
19-06-2007, 15:20
I'd certainyl recommend uprated front pads.

Tommo
19-06-2007, 15:55
Brembo Max discs and Ferodo pads seem to be very effective, this is what I will be getting for mine when they need replacing.