PDA

View Full Version : Retaining screws for brake pads??

willywayne
16-06-2007, 11:56
As i'm a complete amatuer when it comes to fixing cars could someone give me some advice please?

Bought some rear discs and pads from Lee off here, then got myself a haynes to try and do them myself, got as far as getting the wheels off, then looked in the manual about undoing the outer brake pad retaining screws, I have none :shock: on both sides! are they essential??

Also i have 1 spring clip holding the pads in place, only on one side :shock: again!

Are these available to buy, if so where could i get them from?

Also, to change the disc, is it just a matter of undoing the 2 caliper bolts, taking the pads out, undoing the hub nut, then sliding it off?

Hope someone can help please.

MAXIBOY
16-06-2007, 12:28
as far as i,m aware the bolts aren,t critical but you could find some that fit.
should be able to get new pad fitting kits from a motor factors halfolds etc
yes as long as the new disc has the bearings already fitted and you use a new or locktite the hub nuts and calipers bolts when reassembling them as otherwise they have be known to come loose

MattyH16valver
16-06-2007, 12:53
As far as the screws are concerned...there not essential...my hybrid did not have any..but the williams does. I'd try to use some if you can as I had 2 pads fall out of the calipers on my hybrid! :shock:
I have 4 screws spare if u get desperate, as I bought Renualt rear disks/bearing and pads...and these some with the retaining screws, but not the plate thing and clip...think u have to buy them seperate as a kit. I bought an after market kit with the metal plates and clips in the past....but there shit m8....the plates are two thick and are an bastard to slide under the pads! I'd just buy the kit from Renault.
Easiest way to change the disks and pads is as u said...undo the two bolts that hold the bracket over the caliper....losen this up...pull the clips and plates out, the pull the pads and bracket out all in one. Disk is just a matter of prissing the cap off the hub, and undoing the hub nut. These are supposed to be renew really...again can be bought from Renault/motor factors. I prefer to use a impact gun to undo and tighten up the nuts and then torque them up with a wrench. Next u need to depress the piston...take the cap of the brake fluid bottle...then I usually use and blunt screw driver and hammer to turn and push the piston back in.
The trickest part of putting the pads/metal plates and screws in. I usually put the pads in...then the screws in loosly, then try and slide the plates back in under the pads....made need some help with the screw driver and hammer though. Then put the clips back in and do up the screws. I'm much happier knowing my pads are screwed in...not good when they fall out coming up to a round about!:lol:

Hope that makes sense. Matt

willywayne
16-06-2007, 13:02
Thanks for the replies! much appreciated :D

Although i am not sure which clips/springs etc i need as i've got no reference as there are none!

there is a little slider at the top of the pads with a pin going through the one side, and then a slider on the outside which you can slide up and down, but on one side there is one bit of wire holding the outside of one of the pads on, but only on the one side? I don't really understand what is holding my brake pads in, as you can wiggle them about?

Has anyone got a picture of the brake setup so i could tell what i am missing?

Really hope that all makes sense as i'm struggling myself :lol:

MAXIBOY
16-06-2007, 13:22
sorry mate no pics but there should be a little bar across the bottom that holds the pads in and this should have a retaining clip. then each pad should have an anti rattle clip attached to it as well. and as said the outer pad should be bolted to the caliper.