PDA

View Full Version : changing Power Steering pipes - anything to look out for?

white16valver
11-06-2007, 13:31
Hopefully attempting this this weekend - having spent about 2 hours tracking it down the other weekend, then 10 minutes on the phone to Mr Brown to diagnose correctly and get a replacement sent down lol, it's looking like a pain in the arse, bonnet-off and intake-manifold-off job.

Is there anything to look out for or be careful off while doing it?

Thanks all :)

AmDaMan
11-06-2007, 13:35
Be very careful when putting the pipes in, the threads are made of cheese.

MAXIBOY
11-06-2007, 13:50
plus fit new o-rings as there only pence

white16valver
11-06-2007, 14:27
plus fit new o-rings as there only pence
New what?? lol

Anyone got a part number for them?! :)

MAXIBOY
11-06-2007, 16:15
all the power steering pipes have little o-ring rubber seals on them. will post the number later as i have the packet kicking about.

white16valver
11-06-2007, 18:16
Cool, thank you very much :)

MAXIBOY
11-06-2007, 22:57
right part no is 7703065106 and they in packs of ten for 83 pence.

white16valver
12-06-2007, 13:19
Wicked, cheers! :D

1fast6
14-06-2007, 08:11
Definitely a tricky job. I mashed the threads on my rack doing it so had to replace the rack too :oops:

Inlet manifold doesn't need to come off.

I removed bonnet, cross member brace, exhaust manifold + downpipe etc.

BristolSam16v
14-06-2007, 11:55
Don't have to take the manifold off surely? Just disconnect the downpipe and you might be able to get away without doing that as well?

MatBrown
14-06-2007, 22:13
Depends on which pipe you are replacing.

Mat.

white16valver
18-06-2007, 12:18
As Mat says, I think I'm replacing a different part!

This part is the bit that goes down from the reservoir towards the front of the engine, to the connector that joins the longer part that goes underneath and to the rack.

As far as I can tell, following Pete helping me diagnose it over the phone to Mat the other week lol, I need to do the following:

Bonnet and slam panel off
Intake manifold off
Whatever else is around the manifold that needs to be removed to access it
Remove and replace pipe
refit inlet manifold etc (does it have / will I need a gasket for it? Is there anything I might break on it??)
Fill reservoir with fluid
test
refit bonnet and slam panel

but Pete reckons I might need to take the alternator off, or get at it by removing the rad? :shock: :(

Do I have any chance of doing it myself? Any advice or recommendations?? :oops: :(

BristolSam16v
18-06-2007, 12:42
If you're replacing the big pipe and undoing the union from the rack then you might have to undo the 4 rack bolts cause trying to undo that union with the rack in situ is impossible! well I couldn't do it anyway...

Probably have to take radiator out to get to the bottom inlet manifold bolts, im sure someone can confirm this

nath
18-06-2007, 13:18
i know the pipe your replacing, does it have a flared end (like a brake pipe) Replacing Danny_ACE!'s tomorrrow evening as the pipe seems to have come out the union and sprayed the fluid everywhere.

also quick question, will the PAS pump not like running with no fluid? I presume it needs fluid for lubrication?

sorry for the hijack.

white16valver
18-06-2007, 14:11
In mine it's a metal pipe that has a fat connector where it joins the big pipe that goes under the engine.

I think it's rusted through, hence pissing fluid out everywhere :roll:

I wouldn't run it with no fluid for long - it does need it for lubrication so without it it may seize, causing you a bigger problem...

I've driven mine for about 10 minutes with nothing in and it seems ok, but I'd put some in if it's been left for a while, so it does at least have something to lube it with on start up :)

white16valver
19-06-2007, 18:19
ok, I think I'm going to have to admit defeat :(

Can anyone guide as to how much labour I should be expected to pay for at a garage? :(

BristolSam16v
19-06-2007, 20:17
What are you having the problem with?

white16valver
20-06-2007, 16:16
complete lack of mechanical skill? LOL :lol:

I reckon I could probably do it if I went out and got the tools but I'm just concerned that there's things I might do wrong when taking the inlet manifold off etc. :shock: :(

white16valver
21-06-2007, 15:56
Ok, hopefully trying this this weekend.

If I'm going to do it by taking the inlet manifold off, should I get a gasket while I'm at the Parts Department?

Do I need a torque wrench or anything for the nuts/bolts?

Ta :)

nath
21-06-2007, 16:14
Changed the same pipe the other day( metal pipe that goes from pump to the fat connector near the oil filter), easy, drain coolent system and remove rad, remove alternator, undo the unions on the pipe, replace pipe etc, refill pas and coolent, done.

nath
21-06-2007, 16:15
remeber to buy 2 new rubber seals 86p each from renault lol.

white16valver
21-06-2007, 16:21
Cool! :D Thanks for that, it almost sounds easy... LoL :lol:

Is there any difficulty with the alternator? It runs off a belt doesn't it? Is there a best way of getting it to the right tension?

I might also use the fact I've got the rad off to run clean water through it and clear the crap out, and ditto the header tank that's full of silt :)

nath
21-06-2007, 16:30
thats what danny and myself did, hose pipe in the rad to clean it out, but system was flushed a month or so ago. with the alternator we didnt bother losening the tensioner, just undid the two bolts holding it on, one long one short, then just pulled it out, you can do it without taking the rad off but its fiddly, so much easier to remove it as everything is infront of you, took and hour or so to do. you have to manover the belt off the alternator and its a bit fiddly but not hard, be sure when you put it back on, the belt is sitting in all the groves, not just on the alternator but the other pullys too.

white16valver
21-06-2007, 18:36
Cool, will do :)

Did you take the bonnet and slam panel off to do it? Access is so much easier without but I think I'm going to struggle taking it off and putting it on on my own lol

Danny-ACE!
21-06-2007, 19:07
Yeah, we did! Just ask someone to help you get the bonnet off. Slam panal is only 4-5 bolts. Easy peasy.

white16valver
22-06-2007, 10:34
sweet.

"muuuuuuuuum, can you I borrow you for 5 mintues?"

LOL :lol:

Either that or I drive across town with the bonnet off to get round my mates so he can help lol

white16valver
22-06-2007, 12:19
remeber to buy 2 new rubber seals 86p each from renault lol.
Do you mean the ones mentioned earlier?? here:

right part no is 7703065106 and they in packs of ten for 83 pence.

nath
22-06-2007, 13:49
yes, but they are 86p each :shock:

MAXIBOY
22-06-2007, 13:51
not mine 83 pence for a pack of ten.

white16valver
22-06-2007, 13:56
well, either way, I think I can just about stretch to £1.72 for two if necessary lol

white16valver
26-06-2007, 22:52
Changed the same pipe the other day( metal pipe that goes from pump to the fat connector near the oil filter), easy, drain coolent system and remove rad, remove alternator, undo the unions on the pipe, replace pipe etc, refill pas and coolent, done.
ok, I have managed to get the bonnet off on my own (mission! lol) and have got all the slam panel off.

Now I'm stuck :oops: :(

I can't get these off the radiator hoses?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/RSTurboPaul/Photo-0105.jpg

They're wayyyyy too stiff to do by hand and I have no pliers here.

Shall I get a pair of flatnose pliers tomorrow? Or is there a special tool?

And should the radiator then just lift out with the fan still attached but unplugged?

The haynes manual description is shit to be honest... :?

MAXIBOY
26-06-2007, 23:03
yes there is a special tool but its expensive. pliers are fine. all lift out as one unit with fan attached.

white16valver
26-06-2007, 23:14
Sweet, thanks! :D

Will take a trip to Wilkinsons tomorrow - it's the only place near enough to walk to now all the Halfords are out of town lol

Danny-ACE!
27-06-2007, 00:02
not mine 83 pence for a pack of ten.

Well wither I got ripped off or they have changed in price since you last checked?

I paid £1.96 for 2 O seals. The parts bloke was quite embarressed about it. LOL! :lol:

Coops
27-06-2007, 00:41
ai, mine were around that price, £1 each

get some molegrips on the rad clips, much easier! :twisted:

white16valver
27-06-2007, 01:03
ohhhhh those funny things that lock in place?

I swear there was some laying around somewhere...

Thanks for the recommendations all, I'm quite sure I'll be back for more help :oops: lol :lol:

white16valver
29-06-2007, 19:57
Ok, top marks for Coops' suggestion :D - have bought mole grips and they appear to work rather well :twisted:

nath - do you need any special tools to get the belt back on? Do you need to mark up where you take the alternator off or does it only go on in one position?

I think I'll be fine doing everything now, it's just getting the belt on and not ****ing up the entire lump that I'm worried about :oops:

I also need to do it in about 4-5 hours tomorrow morning.

CHALLENGE lol :lol:

Danny-ACE!
29-06-2007, 23:45
That belt isnt anything to worry about. Just the aux belt. Cant damage the engine with it. We just pulled it on, was quite easy. Then put the alternator bolts back in and that tensioned it.

No special tools required.

Coops
30-06-2007, 01:03
np man!

best idea once got them off is to replace with jubilee type clips, much easier then! altho i keep sayin i'll do this on mine and never do! :oops:

aux belt wont affect timing etc of engine, just dont run without it properly tensioned for any length of time as its drives alternator obviosuly so will drain battery and also water pump which cools the engine! but theres no need to worry bout positions etc, just slap it back on and tension it up! 8)

white16valver
30-06-2007, 15:14
Jubilee clips would be a plan... lol

And Tension the belt up? How how? :oops:

MAXIBOY
30-06-2007, 23:12
with the large adjustable belt tensioner just to the left. undo the 7mm allen bolt big spanner on the nut wind it tight do up 7mmm allen bolt

white16valver
04-07-2007, 13:03
You mean the one that's right by the wiring thing, with bugger all room to work with?

Though that sentence could apply to a lot of things... LoL :lol:

BristolSam16v
04-07-2007, 14:31
^Thats the 1 ;) You have to undo the wiring bit to get enough access, when I tried to do mine the bolt holding the wiring thing was fcked so I couldn't get it off :(