PDA

View Full Version : Welding a Steering Column - Bodge Job or Not?

MattyH16valver
10-06-2007, 23:32
I had this done by a mate a few weeks ago after I originally went to a garage to get the tracking done and they said that there was too much play in the steering. Fair enough...a definate improvement after...but when I went to get my tracking done the garage re-fused to do it cos they said it was a "bodge job" even though they suggested I have the fecker done in the first place and said I would have to fit a new column before they do it! :roll: I told the bloke he was a joke and i'd take my business elsewhere. He said that when it was welded it could have been 2-3 cogs out or something like that? :? Did'nt quite understand what he was on about seen as the column was still attached to the rack as I had it done in situ, and this surely must be more accurate that taking it out and welding it. I ended up going to Quick Fit to get it done and decided it would be less hassle not to tell then I had the column welded. They could'nt finish the job properly as one of the laser that attaches to the wheels ran out of power. What a nighmare...looks like i'll be going back next saturday.

Would most people say that this should only be a tempory fix/bodge job..or is it more sensible to accept the £130+ for a new column and the hassle of fitting a new one?

Matt

MAXIBOY
10-06-2007, 23:36
taking out of his ass. as good as a new one.

Hulio
11-06-2007, 00:11
Definitely talking crap. Mine's welded that way and has been tracked twice since no problem. Most williams owners I know have welded steering columns and they were all done in situe. Sure beats the hassle and cost of getting a new column that will only wear out in a few years again anyway!

Coops
11-06-2007, 00:13
talkin utter shite, its fine welded, and the cog crap is rubbish also, its irrelevent at that level, hence the tracking adjustment to compensate! :roll:

MattyH16valver
11-06-2007, 00:36
Cheers guys...thought as much...I was quite happy to drive around without it done originally anyway....did'nt really notice it that much and cornering was fine....only when u actually look at the wheels when u turn that steering wheel that u notice the play, although abviously theres the slight slackness when u first turn the wheel. Don't know what it is with some places....they could'nt exacly expect any kind of blame if I was to have the tracking done and I crash. I've checked the weld on the joint and there's no way that weld is cracking, and my mate would'nt have done half a job anyway! :lol:

Cheers for help again....piece of mind at the end of the day.
Matt

Coops
11-06-2007, 01:01
even if the weld cracked, all u end up with is the same little bit of play again, not like the whole lot will snap off! :lol:

northy
11-06-2007, 08:38
I bought a new one for NLRG - u get all new bearings aswell (one was worn in mine) so its defo worth doing over a welded one imo

big hp
11-06-2007, 17:12
Where did you take her? local to us mate?

MattyH16valver
11-06-2007, 17:50
Where did you take her? local to us mate?

Yeah...the ATS Euromaster near to where your mate works. Think it's the manager in there thats the cock......everytime I've been in there he's always said that theres this and that I need to sort out first before I have the work done. Just gonna go to Quick Fit from now on...don't need the hassle. No point trying to argue with him...I tried to make my point, but he was having none of it, even though i should hope I probably know these cars better than him by now :lol:
Not getting any access vibration at the mo. Just to lazy to fit a new one I guess, aswell as the price factor. May end up getting one eventually.

big hp
11-06-2007, 18:28
**** quik fit there the same.

Formula 1 next to vauxhall garage are spot on.

Took my williams there for tracking and spent 2hrs talking to manager about cars. He's into his cars and i'm not talking metros lol

MattyH16valver
11-06-2007, 18:29
f**k quik fit there the same.

Formula 1 next to vauxhall garage are spot on.

Took my williams there for tracking and spent 2hrs talking to manager about cars. He's into his cars and i'm not talking metros lol

Is that on the Gatehouse Industrial Estate too mate...think I may have been there b4?

richy
11-06-2007, 18:33
mines been welded for about 2.5 year now, still going strong!

big hp
11-06-2007, 18:34
Inbetween vauxhall and mercedes garage on bicester road.

MattyH16valver
11-06-2007, 18:38
Inbetween vauxhall and mercedes garage on bicester road.

Cheers mate...i'll be taking a trip there on saturday then... 8) Last weekend i got to try and sort out everything before she goes in for the re-spray [-o<

kenny
11-06-2007, 20:39
Renewed mine, hardest part was changing lock barrel, hour & halfs work, but if you intend welding for what ever reason, it would be safer to have weld done on a bench, much cleaner weld. welded in-situ will break eventually, hopefully not when you are in a power slide or fast tight bend.

number1
16-06-2007, 12:50
Why would a weld break? only if the person who did it cant weld!!

Daz
17-06-2007, 09:29
The thing is, it *IS* a bodge job..

Put it this way,
If a new steering column was the same cost as welding, how many people would still weld? ;)

Almost all Valvers'/Williams', have a column with that joint. If it was supposed to be solid, would it have been developed with a joint? :lol:

holl
17-06-2007, 10:56
mine's welded and it keeps braking again! im looking to buy a new one! were can you get them from the only place ive asked is gsf there £170 nearly!
Holl :D

MAXIBOY
17-06-2007, 11:21
The thing is, it *IS* a bodge job..

Put it this way,
If a new steering column was the same cost as welding, how many people would still weld? ;)

Almost all Valvers'/Williams', have a column with that joint. If it was supposed to be solid, would it have been developed with a joint? :lol:

its got a joint as part of the assembly/engineering process. its a fixed joint. its never meant to come apart. its was glued/resined at the factory due to ease/cost rather than welded because renault are cheap not because it was a better opition or better engineered than a welded joint

MattyH16valver
17-06-2007, 11:36
Got me thinking now. All depends how long this weld lasts. Went to get the steering allignment and tracking done yesterday and the first time they did it when I drove away in a straight line the steering wheel was off centre...so I went back to get it done again. Was better after the second time they did it, but it's still not perfect. Don't think this would have anything to do with the fact I had the column welded though. The steering wheel was locked in place will the funny tool they use every time...which is strange.
Think I'll be happier to fit a new column...it's just having the money and enthusiasm to do it.

MAXIBOY
17-06-2007, 11:45
most tracking places do a poor job of tracking vehicles as its easy to do a poor job than a good one. but having the joint welded properly is no worse than the original fixing and done properly in most cases better. a weld should never break done well normally a non welded section would fail first.

kenny
18-06-2007, 02:52
Welds break if the parts are not free from dirt, dust, grease or rust. working inside the car means the metal will probably not be sufficiently clean, and the welder will be accutely aware of the flamable surroundings. I wouldn't be totally against welding, but it's not a difficult job to remove the column and do a better job on a bench. That said I bought new from Lookers Renault, £150+vat, removing old & fitting new took 90mins, not done one before. Ken

MattyH16valver
18-06-2007, 08:13
Welds break if the parts are not free from dirt, dust, grease or rust. working inside the car means the metal will probably not be sufficiently clean, and the welder will be accutely aware of the flamable surroundings. I wouldn't be totally against welding, but it's not a difficult job to remove the column and do a better job on a bench. That said I bought new from Lookers Renault, £150+vat, removing old & fitting new took 90mins, not done one before. Ken

Ok m8...whats the hardest part of doing it...just so I know?

Zollo
18-06-2007, 09:25
Put it this way,

Or, put it this way...

If a Ferrari was the same cost as a Williams, how many people would still have a Williams?

... But that doesn't mean the Williams is shit. :wink:

ollie16v
18-06-2007, 10:07
Anyone looked in to how a welded column copes in a crash? Its suppose to collapse in a front impact so would this not stop that from happening and send the steering wheel in to the driver? :roll:

MAXIBOY
18-06-2007, 10:27
no as the bit that is welded is not the bit that is meant to collapse :D

big hp
18-06-2007, 10:29
Its down to personal preference IMO.

I've had welded columns on all my clios and never once had a problem.

AFAIK the cup racers used to have solid columns.

ollie16v
18-06-2007, 10:37
Just wondered if there were any horror stories etc.........

big hp
18-06-2007, 10:38
Not to the best of my knowledge.

MattyH16valver
18-06-2007, 22:44
I remember cliorod saying something about someone that had there column welded on a track car and they had a bit of a nasty accident when it impaled them :shock: Not sure if this was to do with having it welded though

MattyH16valver
18-06-2007, 22:44
Its down to personal preference IMO.

I've had welded columns on all my clios and never once had a problem.

AFAIK the cup racers used to have solid columns.

Have u fitted a new un now then Scott?

Laine_16v
18-06-2007, 22:48
It is a bodge no 2 ways about it. However its an acceptable one, unless its done badly and breaks.