PDA

View Full Version : Spongy Brakes

Imperial_16v
08-06-2007, 18:04
:( I have quite a lot of pedal travel on the brake pedal. Is this normal for the Valvers?

I have had the brakes bled... at least I think I have. Would worn brake pads cause the pedal to travel further. It would do wouldn't it. Braking appears to be a very on or off affair atm. I'll push the pedal and slow down a little and the pedal will keep travelling, and then suddenly the brakes will bite and I'll slow down quickly.

The car has Mintex Extreme pads on the front. Do these have a fast wear rate?

Thanks! :D

Chris H
09-06-2007, 15:32
no its not normal.

No worn pads will not cause the pedal to travel further as they stay out against the pad, they don't retract all the way back into their bores.

First thing you shoudl do my man is look at tha bias valve, look at it whilst lying on the gorund and get someone to press the brake, if its swinging about then thats the problem. And you'll need to adjust it.

Imperial_16v
09-06-2007, 16:07
no its not normal.

No worn pads will not cause the pedal to travel further as they stay out against the pad, they don't retract all the way back into their bores.

First thing you shoudl do my man is look at tha bias valve, look at it whilst lying on the gorund and get someone to press the brake, if its swinging about then thats the problem. And you'll need to adjust it.

Thanks Chris, where abouts is this Bias valve? Somewhere on the calipers?

I seem to remember a guide (I think!).

Also, slightly OT, but would this cause my handbrake to be rubbish? I've had new cables fitted but I still have to yank it all the way to hold it on a slight incline.

Ta! :)

Jamie.
09-06-2007, 16:11
I have quite a bit of pedal travel also, someone mentioned to me that it could be the bias valve.

Chris H
09-06-2007, 16:16
bias valve is o nt he drivers side infron of the rear axle, its easy to find, theres a wire thats spun into a coil fron the axle to it. When someone presses the pedal it should move a wee bit, often the olives that grips the wire doesn't grip and thus they slacken right off leading to poor rear brake effort (which can affect the handbrake) and long pedal travel.

Jamie.
09-06-2007, 16:26
So it should be solid with a small amount of movment/play when depressing the brakes? i will have a quick look when i get my car back.

Chris H
09-06-2007, 16:33
with the car on level ground it should move at most 3/4mm, if you jack up the back it will move more.

the spring shouldn't be rattly loose on it when the cars just sitting, if it is the olives slipped

Imperial_16v
09-06-2007, 17:48
Thanks! That's great info. :D

Imperial_16v
09-06-2007, 17:52
Oh forgot to ask, so if it is loose. Is it a simple case of re-tightening it back up. Or do you need to replace it?

Chris H
09-06-2007, 18:08
righty you can either tighten it up if it will tighten, often they wont.

There is however another way, now this will get all the fairies out moaning that I'm tryign to kill you etc, but you can cable tie the bias valve open, this means you get full rear braking power all the time.

Yes it may spin you if you do daft things.

Imperial_16v
09-06-2007, 18:45
righty you can either tighten it up if it will tighten, often they wont.

There is however another way, now this will get all the fairies out moaning that I'm tryign to kill you etc, but you can cable tie the bias valve open, this means you get full rear braking power all the time.

Yes it may spin you if you do daft things.

LOL! Nice one.

I'm guessing this is the replacement part from GSF?

R65384 BRAKE PRESSURE REGULATOR CLIO 16V 49.50

Brake Pressure Regulator = Bias Valve?

Cheers! 8)

Chris H
09-06-2007, 19:07
yes but a new one is a bit excessive for one that onyl needs adjusted.

rob16v
11-06-2007, 10:55
i have a mint one off an n reg valver

white16valver
11-06-2007, 13:33
Could it just be that you have cold pads that aren't biting until they've warmed up?

topgeartom
11-06-2007, 13:58
Could well be something thats occured on mine this.

My brake pedal is very loose for the first inch or so of travel, then firms up. When out on a more spirited drive, ive noitced that my rear brakes are almost always cold to the touch, despite lots of braking and the fonts being hot.

Cheers for the advice, and Imperial_16v - could you let me know if it was the valve and if so how easy it was to sort.

Cheers

MAXIBOY
11-06-2007, 14:01
there easy enough to do. striped mine down and rebuilt it.

Imperial_16v
12-06-2007, 17:48
Could it just be that you have cold pads that aren't biting until they've warmed up?

Nah, even after driving for awhile it's still exactly the same. :(

Could well be something thats occured on mine this.

My brake pedal is very loose for the first inch or so of travel, then firms up. When out on a more spirited drive, ive noitced that my rear brakes are almost always cold to the touch, despite lots of braking and the fonts being hot.

Cheers for the advice, and Imperial_16v - could you let me know if it was the valve and if so how easy it was to sort.

Cheers

Aye I can let you know, no probs. :)