PDA

View Full Version : Throttle potentiometer

FlamingMonkey
24-05-2005, 14:44
Right think I've sussed out my cold idle issue, replaced ISCV, CTS and give the throttle body a good clean, still no worky.

Anyway reading through some posts I decided to remove the plug from the throttle potentiometer, the plug attatched by a bracket on the ISCV, anyway car runs fine now from cold it just idles at 1400rpm which is not ideal.

2live has a throttle body I could grab off him at the weekend, with a pot on it, but has anyone here had a mess with the screws on the potentiometer, and could I bodge it with a philips and a multi meter?

dannyt
24-05-2005, 14:54
How shall I clean my potentiometet thingy majig?

I think it needs doing asap, what are the tools and what needs replacing?

FlamingMonkey
24-05-2005, 15:02
How shall I clean my potentiometet thingy majig?

I think it needs doing asap, what are the tools and what needs replacing?

I dont think you clean it fella, it just needs adjusting, but you need to know what your doing, which I clearly don't :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
24-05-2005, 15:43
Go on. DIY. Give us a laugh! :P

FlamingMonkey
24-05-2005, 15:46
Go on. DIY. Give us a laugh! :P

hehe I'm tempted :lol:

northy
24-05-2005, 16:40
didnt the new one we bought at the weekend cure it mate ??

FlamingMonkey
24-05-2005, 16:45
didnt the new one we bought at the weekend cure it mate ??

That was an ISCV dude, nope that didn't work, neither did the Coolant Temp sensor i bought yesterday, its's the potentiometer or the throttle body, I can get the car to run fine if I unplug the potentiometer, gonna give the throttle body a good all over body rub tonight, last time I just did the front, gonna dismantle the ****er and carb clean its ass.

VIPERONE
24-05-2005, 16:55
Have you checked spedo earth?? are all earths in place?
the potentiaometer is factory set and should be ok... unless bust. ive not know one go.

check all sensors and earths.

case
27-05-2005, 10:00
I'd get hold of a secound hand throttal body with a potentiometer on it. I was having the same problems as you and once i unplugged the potentiometer it idled fine. Left it unplugged for a bit then fitted a secound hand body i got from mat brown for £20. All sorted now.

Renault might set it for you but it'll probably cost a fortune.

Craig
27-05-2005, 10:04
thats what I did, mine was acting up, i adjusted it and it was reving up and down like a mofo!

so i bought a whole TB with iscv, TP, etc, all on it untouched! fitted it and it was idling mad about 2krpm, but after a while it sorted itself out and was much better!

FlamingMonkey
27-05-2005, 10:11
Hopefully I will be meeting 2live today as he might have a throttle body I can do a deal for, will let you boys know how I get on.

case
27-05-2005, 12:46
Just wondering what problems would you encounter running it with the potentiometer unplugged?