PDA

View Full Version : Diff c clip

GT-Facer
04-06-2007, 09:58
I have just bought myself a nice Hybrid, but when bumping it off on my journey home last night (due to a dodgy altinaor connection) i think i have managed to knock the c clip off the diff as when a gear is selected and the clutch is let out the speedo goes up with the engine revs but the car dosn't move.
How do i go about checking this? And will i need a new c clip? If so where can i get one? Are they renault only?

I'm sorry if this gets asked a lot, but i tried the search and couldn't find anything.

Clio_GTT
04-06-2007, 10:23
happened to me mate, deffo sounds like the circlip, one sure fire way to tell:

Drain gearbox oil, take off nearside driveshaft gaitor !

You should have one funny looking circlip and thrust washer (which will be broken)

Clio_GTT
04-06-2007, 10:28
there's a few of options available to you

1. Go to renault and get a brand new circlip and washer - £10 MAX

2. Get a second hand box - (£50 ish) no guarentee it'll last

3. Buy brand new gearbox - (£600) Bollocks to that

4. Get the circlip welded in or get the diff bolted in (expensive) but will last

number 1 gets my vote, if it keeps popping then the casing is worn too much and then number 4 comes into play

bluenose
04-06-2007, 10:58
Don't suppose anybody has the part number for the circlip? My mates has gone on his valver! I'm guessing it would be the same as the willy one?!

Clio_GTT
04-06-2007, 11:13
77 00 113 257 CIRCLIP DIFF

77 00 720 854 WASHER DIFF

Clio_GTT
04-06-2007, 11:19
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/circlip.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/DSC00060.jpg

is probably what you'll be faced with

bluenose
04-06-2007, 11:28
Magic! Cheers for that mate! :D

GT-Facer
04-06-2007, 11:35
Nice one, i will have a look tonight and order the parts tmoz if that's what it is.
Does anyone have the number of a renault parts dept that will do a discount? :wink:

Clio_GTT
04-06-2007, 11:36
Nice one, i will have a look tonight and order the parts tmoz if that's what it is.
Does anyone have the number of a renault parts dept that will do a discount? :wink:

Birmingham trade place will do you trade prices 08706000882

GT-Facer
04-06-2007, 13:09

Excellent, thanks mate.
Just been thinking about it, and you said just take off the gator so does that mean you can do it with the drive shaft in place?
Cheers

Clio_GTT
04-06-2007, 16:50

Excellent, thanks mate.
Just been thinking about it, and you said just take off the gator so does that mean you can do it with the drive shaft in place?
Cheers

you can do mate, easier with it out, put if you're steady with the circlip pliers you should be able to do it with the shaft still in

Laine_16v
04-06-2007, 18:46
Welding the circlip in doesnt work either aparently.

GT-Facer
05-06-2007, 09:56
Got the boot pulled back last night and the clips fell out so i think that might just be the problem! lol
Looks like i am going to be able to do it with the shaft in so will have a go tonight as i can take the clips out of my old diff (whole gearbox only done 7000 miles)
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how i get on.

GT-Facer
06-06-2007, 12:08
Manage to get it in last night :D with a little help from my friend.
Did have to take the shaft out, as the washer behind the clip is solid so couldn't slide it over the shaft.
Just gotta get some gearbox oil today then i can test it out.
When re-fitting the plate that holds the rubber boot on i discovered that someone had been a bit over zellos when tightenin up at some point and has stripped the threads on the bottem bolt! Managed to get it to grip a little bit, so whacked some threadlock on and hopefully it won't leak :?

stevie g
03-07-2007, 23:00
you where lucky, when mine went it smashed the tripod on end of driveshaft to bits which in turn realeased loads of roller bearings into box and fooked it!!! and the groove for circlip was completely mangled. im unsure why you cant weld circlip in??? an explanation would be nice from some1 who knows