PDA

View Full Version : Tyre profile choice?.....

drsmith1979
04-06-2007, 07:55
well its nearly time for me to come home from the USA and one of the first things i am going to do is to fit my pro 1.2's and get them shod in brand spanking new rubber!

however, my quandry is this...

i fitted them with their original part worn tyres, Kumho Ecsta's 205/45/16 and they rubbed on the front arches due to the width of the tyres (not on full lock just in normal driving due to fact my 'willy' is lowered hehe). The rears were fine and didnt foul or scrap at all.

the kumho's (pronounced Cum-hoes haha) seem to have a large and fat sidewall. now i understand that the profile is an aspect ratio % of the width so with a thinner tyre the sidewall is actually smaller despite having the same numerical representation.... oooh sounding all posh and educated now! haha

my decision is this... go for 195/45/16's and hope they fit, or to play it safe and go for the lower profile 195/40/16's? the difference in price between the 2 (toyo's) is negligable so i want practical and honest driving opinions not economical rationale.

probably going to go with the trusty Toyo Proxes as they are pretty cheap, i really want the Yoko Parada's but i dont think they make them in either size i want. comments and suggestions?

oh and before people say, no im not going to go back to standard as i dont have any original williams alloys......unless someone wants to do a deal for my pro 1.2's that are minter than mint? (no tyres)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/417525490_2131fd619f.jpg

fitted to car:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/12032007055.jpg

Clio_GTT
04-06-2007, 10:08
go for as small a profile you can if you don't want it to rub, my wide-track valver is only lowered 20mm and rubs with 195/45/15, that's not even with me giving it some stick :(

drsmith1979
04-06-2007, 19:48
yeah i was thinking that, but i also no people who have slammed their clio's but had hardly any issues?!

195/40/16's Toyo's it is then 8) best price is mytyres? anyone know who can beat them?