PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt changing.

Bailey_1260
02-06-2007, 14:47
Right before i drop the new engine in i want to do the belts.

Just a bit wary of bending valves etc. if i turn the cams and not the pistons will this bend them?

How do I know when the 1 cylinder is tdc?

And how do i tension the belt?

And before anybody says anything I will pay subscription when i have money but have just shelled out for a new engine and parts so dont have any money lying about atm.

Cheers Bailey.

wavy
02-06-2007, 17:00
i have never done a belt so dont know for sure but i think you turn the cam till both marks are at top and lined up
then lock the cams(think you put allen key through a little hole)
then remove old belt and replace with new

i would wait till some 1 who knows for sure posts :oops:

Coops
02-06-2007, 17:07
ai, down onm front of the block near oil dip stick tube is a little bolts, remove that and still with old belt on turn the engine till you can stick an alan key through there to lock the engine in position. now all the marks on the rocker cover/cam pullies should line up pretty much and the one on the crank pulley will be in situ for putting on new belt

whip old belt off, line up marks on new belt with the ones on the cam pullies and crank pulley. tension it a little and turn engine over by hand with a ratchet to check clearances, if no nasty noises ur good to go, tension it fully and roberts ur fathers

MatBrown
02-06-2007, 17:57
ai, down onm front of the block near oil dip stick tube is a little bolts, remove that and still with old belt on turn the engine till you can stick an alan key through there to lock the engine in position. now all the marks on the rocker cover/cam pullies should line up pretty much and the one on the crank pulley will be in situ for putting on new belt

whip old belt off, line up marks on new belt with the ones on the cam pullies and crank pulley. tension it a little and turn engine over by hand with a ratchet to check clearances, if no nasty noises ur good to go, tension it fully and roberts ur fathers

Don't forget to remove allen key from front of block before turning over.

Mat.

Bailey_1260
03-06-2007, 00:00
Turn over by turning the crank with a breaker bar right?

How many revolutions?

And how do i get the right tension, does it need measuring or just do it up nice and tight?

Coops
03-06-2007, 00:04
ai, use a ratchet or breaker bar on crank pulley, just a couple or revs to check theres no contact, if u lined up all the marks tho there shudnt be any worries!

tensioning is something like, shud be able to turn the belt 90 degrees along its longest stretch iirc, haynes tells you!

oh and Mat.............good call! :oops:

Bailey_1260
10-06-2007, 19:38
This the bolt i need to remove to lock in TDC?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/Bailey_1260/DSC00178.jpg

Cheers

Coops
10-06-2007, 20:47
yep!

Bailey_1260
10-06-2007, 21:05
Hooray!

What size is it?

Coops
11-06-2007, 00:21
erm, no idea as yours is a pants star effort, mine was a normal 15mm bolt iirc

Bailey_1260
17-06-2007, 22:45
Anyone know what size this is?

The biggest fruads had was E14 but didnt look big enough so want to know the size before i order it :(

AndyFielder
17-06-2007, 22:55
the sizes are really deceiving, bought the largest + a set from frauds of them, needed like the 3rd in on the set for head bolts on my RN