PDA

View Full Version : WANTED GUIDE: Replacing starter motor

Dancliovalver
24-05-2007, 21:09
could do with a guide on the best way to replace the startor motor on 16vs/williams while the engine is still in place

if anybody can tell me the best way i will write up a guide this weekedn as i need to do one on the black clio, is it best to whip off the manifold or go from underneath somewhere??

cheers guys :lol:

VIPERONE
24-05-2007, 21:20
gimme 5 i'll do a guide

Dancliovalver
24-05-2007, 21:49
nice one dude, i know its gonna be a pain in the ass but wanna know the best way to go bout it, let me know if you need any pics for the guide coz i will be doin it first thing saturday mornin :cry:

big hp
24-05-2007, 22:00
Undo 3 bolts gearbox side, 1 bolt on soleniod side. Obviously power etc and extract. May be fiddly getting it out but easier then removing all brackets which majority of bolts are protected by fanimold :cry:

Dancliovalver
24-05-2007, 22:04
is that from underneath or did u manage to get your arms round the manifold?? whats the best way to get the heatshild off??

big hp
24-05-2007, 22:22
I managed to work around through manifold with extensions etc. I have got a supersprint tubular manifold though.

Heatshield is only 2 or 3 bolts IIRC and you can get them with a extension bar through manifold, well i could anyway.

Dancliovalver
24-05-2007, 22:50
lol i can see myself gettin pretty cut up this weekend then :lol:

big hp
24-05-2007, 23:09
Probably, i know i did.

VIPERONE
24-05-2007, 23:09
1) open bonnet,remove heatshield

2) lean in to engine bay, using a 13mm spanner undo the positive feed and pull the negative spade terminal from the starter .

3) remove the bracket bolts from the starter tat fix it to the back of the block

4) using a 16mm socket undo the 3 mounting bolts that bolt it to the gear box.

5)Wiggle the starter off and manipulate it out through the top of the engine bay.

ok once its out you have a few options.... here's what i did:

disconnected the bracket from the starter, wrapped heat proof shielding from rally design around the main starter body and solenoid

put the starter back on by placing it through the top of the engine bay and connecting it back up with just the 3 bolts.. some starers may have 4 bolts on.

it really is a totally simple job which can be done iin 15/20mins.

Dancliovalver
24-05-2007, 23:13
yeah yeah dont rub it in lol, i never get jobs which take me 15 mins lol

thats for the guide dude im sure it will be helpful to everyone else aswell, will lt you all know how i get on :lol:

Dancliovalver
24-05-2007, 23:14
sorry that should have read "thanks for the guide"

the edit button seems to have desappered :wink:

MatBrown
24-05-2007, 23:22
1) open bonnet,remove heatshield

2) lean in to engine bay, using a 13mm spanner undo the positive feed and pull the negative spade terminal from the starter .

3) remove the bracket bolts from the starter tat fix it to the back of the block

4) using a 16mm socket undo the 3 mounting bolts that bolt it to the gear box.

5)Wiggle the starter off and manipulate it out through the top of the engine bay.

ok once its out you have a few options.... here's what i did:

disconnected the bracket from the starter, wrapped heat proof shielding from rally design around the main starter body and solenoid

put the starter back on by placing it through the top of the engine bay and connecting it back up with just the 3 bolts.. some starers may have 4 bolts on.

it really is a totally simple job which can be done iin 15/20mins.

You seem to have missed off:
Disconnect the battery!

Mat.

VIPERONE
25-05-2007, 18:07
lol

of course... it was a rushed guide.

yeah disconnect the battery fist as the starter has a permanent live feed..that you may touch with your spanner- sparks will fly

VIPERONE
25-05-2007, 18:07
common sense prevails

Dancliovalver
25-05-2007, 19:37
lol it turns out i didnt need to change the starter after all, the connection was bout hangin off so tightened it up and hey presto :lol:

big hp
29-05-2007, 07:59
Nice easy fix then. I never have luck like that.

1fast6
29-05-2007, 13:26
Gunner, got a link to the rally design site regarding the heatproof shielding?

My starter is shielded with thin air at the moment :shock:

VIPERONE
29-05-2007, 15:53
i'd sort that out, without running heat shields i ran through 4 starters in 2 years

look at heat protection on rally des and then buy some metal ties to keep the matting fixed