PDA

View Full Version : Williams oil pressure gauge

peteh
23-05-2007, 11:20
Drove my williams for the first time properly lastnight, but found the pressure gauge wouldn't work, well it did but would only go up for 1bar, the car's been stood for around 8 months, and ive just put fresh oil in it so know some's there :?

between the three gauges in the middle only the oil temp (middle) worked which was around 100 C

any ideas, can i change the sender unit? Or could it be clogged with old oil?

any help appreciated 8)

Clio_GTT
23-05-2007, 11:41
I'd compression test the engine or do a leak down test to make sure everything is fine

peteh
23-05-2007, 13:14
god didn't know it was that drastic!! :shock:

Rich
23-05-2007, 13:40
its probably not tbh. the pressure can vastly be affected by which filter you put on. the most likely solution is new senders as they are only electrical ones anyway. oil level only flicks on at start up for around 20 seconds. if its doesnt work then again the sender wants changing

peteh
23-05-2007, 13:59
so the oil level is the gauge on the left? ill check tonight :wink:

could anybody tell me where the senders are for them all :wink:

peteh
23-05-2007, 14:01
so the oil level is the gauge on the left? ill check tonight :wink:

could anybody tell me where the senders are for them all :wink:

also it's a fram filter :D

Rich
23-05-2007, 14:12
the pressure can depend on if it has a non-return valve on the filter or not.

the one on the far left is the one for level yes. the level and temp is a combined sender located on the front of the block towards the right hand side it screws into the block just above the level of the sump. it is not unusual for one to work and not the other. the pressure sender is located on the back left of the block and also screws into the block if you follow the path of the rear engine lifting eye down its underneath that

peteh
23-05-2007, 14:13
thanks very much!!!!!! :wink:

is it worth changing the filter then to a genuine one? :?

Rich
23-05-2007, 16:00
tbh i found my car gave better oil pressure with a halfords own filter. saying that i prob got the wrong filter given to me by renault but yes it is worth getting a genuine item to eliminate a problem for the sake of a few quid

Clio_GTT
23-05-2007, 16:07
compression test sounds drastic but its quicker to compression test it than change the oil filter :lol: :lol:

agreed filters can change the pressure but if the car never sees over 1 bar i'd be worried

Rich
23-05-2007, 16:36
it will be the senders. never goes over 1 bar but doesnt knock. i t would knock when warm if that was the case.

peteh
23-05-2007, 17:09
compression test sounds drastic but its quicker to compression test it than change the oil filter :lol: :lol:

agreed filters can change the pressure but if the car never sees over 1 bar i'd be worried

i aint worried, itll just get broken :D

peteh
23-05-2007, 17:11
it will be the senders. never goes over 1 bar but doesnt knock. i t would knock when warm if that was the case.

thanks for your help mate, na dosen't knock at all, it's only done 77k sop don't think the engine will be knackered already :?