PDA

View Full Version : williams or valver???

skipp123
22-05-2007, 13:10
hi guys,

iv been floating about on here for a while now and looking to invest in either a valver or a williams, now i will be using it to mainly be a track car can someone point out the main differances between the valver and williams as i dont wanna buy a valver and then realise i should have brought a williams intead to start with....

spec will be something like the following

full suspension set up coilovers, poly bushs, stiffer springs
fully stripped
roll cage
x1 racing seat
few engine mods

cusriouse as to what has the best starting ground for a track motor........

budget = £1500/£1750

northy
22-05-2007, 13:19
as said before mate - WILLIAMS ! :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
22-05-2007, 13:20
Hybrid surely?

Will16valver
22-05-2007, 13:21
yup, id agree!

skipp123
22-05-2007, 14:28
its been a while since i was on here so appoligies for being thick but main question is what the differances in suspension if i was going to coilover it would it matter which one i went for? i know ones a 1.8 and the other 2.0 but with a few mods think a valver will be quick as a williams..... roll on the valver vs williams debate lol

also looking at 205 gti's aswel not mi16 as every day car but 1.6 or maybe 1.9 with loads of suspension work like my mr2 tubby :D

skipp123
22-05-2007, 14:29
http://pistonheads.com/SALES/174273.htm

stevie_b
22-05-2007, 15:31

Looks nice. The only thing I would balk at is the mileage, not that it is unreasonable for a car of that age now. I had an Mi16 on 100k+ and there was always stuff that needed attention on it (including 3 engines and two gearboxes I had to replace!). That said the one in the ad does look very well cared for - even the leather seat bolsters look in good nick, which are usually early to go.

As for the valver vs williams debate I think it is a close call for building a track car. There is no doubt in my mind that the Williams is a better car. Therefore the question is whether you can take a valver up to the same level for less money. I have spent a fair bit putting on a wide track (plus suspension to then go with), F7R and JC5 box to my valver - such that I would think if you could get a Williams for the right money this would be the better route to go. Others would argue you shouldn't even be considering butchering an original Williams to turn it into a stripped track car!

ollie16v
22-05-2007, 16:06
Valver - the orginal cup car! :D

stew
22-05-2007, 16:07
williams mate

only thing u will have to watch is that most will need a fair overhaul of bushes and suspension parts, as well as brakes etc.

much better base id say, although im using a 16v shell.

mine goes orite tho! :wink: :twisted:

Dan_mk1
22-05-2007, 17:20
Valver all day! Purely for performance per ££££
If its a track car get a battered valver for a couple of hundred quid (easy to find if you look hard enough) wack a megane bottom end on, coilovers, brakes, cams and a remap and you would have a valver that would shit on a williams from a great height :wink: :lol:

1995clio16v
22-05-2007, 18:58

Thats WAY overpriced in my opinion!

Purely based on the fact that it is a limited COLOUR and not a limited edition car of sorts.

1995clio16v
22-05-2007, 19:01
Valver all day! Purely for performance per ££££
If its a track car get a battered valver for a couple of hundred quid (easy to find if you look hard enough) wack a megane bottom end on, coilovers, brakes, cams and a remap and you would have a valver that would s**t on a williams from a great height :wink: :lol:

I totally agree, 16v's are such value for money now.

Zollo
23-05-2007, 09:57
For a cheap track car, if you don't fancy spending much money on, a Valver is fine.

But otherwise, go for a Williams. It's a much better base for a track car and you can get one cheap enough. I would've thought you'd be hard-pushed to make a decent Hybrid with JC5, wide-track and double-skinned sub-frame etc. for the same money as a cheap Williams. And that's if you do the work yourself...

Andyvalver
23-05-2007, 13:38
Id buy a valver, they are pretty cheap now in comparison to the wiliams still holding a decent price. I wouldnt spend 3k on a nice williams to track it when a valver for 1k or maybe less can do. Stiffen up the suspension and it will go alright without widetrack imo :D