PDA

View Full Version : £640!

Swervin_Mervin
20-05-2007, 13:21
Got my bill finally for the work done to PCC at the end of March.

£640 FFS!

The car doesn't look any different or go any different.

That's £50 for MOT, £100 for welding to the chassis, £160+ for new rear discs/pads/bearings, and then a few other bits and bobs like new hoses, exhaust rubbers etc, etc.

Meh.

Still, I managed to cure the leaking rad bleed screw, and the water filled sills. Now I just need to suss out WTF is rattling through the steering column when accelerating on l/h bends.

In the long run it needs a refresh of suspension which I can do meself, the turbs need a refurb to OE condition and the panels need colour matching.

Laine_16v
20-05-2007, 14:18
Rattling through steering wheel on LH bends...

Take drivers side wheel off, check to see that part of the rack/column is not touching the downpipe heatshield.

Mine did this and u could see where it had wore away part of the heatshield, give same symptoms as you have.

Swervin_Mervin
21-05-2007, 00:22
I'm sure it is that mate as it only started when I swapped the decat pipe for a cat. I reckon the length is different. Garage are supposed to have re-hung it and it is better but still there. Exhaust bods took one look and declared nothing wrong. :roll:

What did you do to solve it?

Laine_16v
21-05-2007, 07:49
Jack the engine up and undo the engine mount next to PAS reservoir (the 4 big bolts, or is it 6?)

Then pull the engine as far forward as you can, redo bolts and un jack engine.

Problem solved :D

Swervin_Mervin
21-05-2007, 21:26
Weird thing is though mate I've had a look from the top and bottom and can't see that anythings touching, even with the wheels turned to the left. It's had 2 new mounts (lower, gearbox) before I got it so maybe it's not been set properly.

Laine_16v
21-05-2007, 22:32
If its the same problem as what i had, you will find from standing start accelerating with foot to floor through first and second gear you will have the same vibration through the wheel/column.

This dies when you hit 3 rd gear (due to the way the engine doesnt shift as much).

See if it happen then aswell.

Swervin_Mervin
21-05-2007, 23:49
I need to find a corner I can nail it in 3rd! Deffo does that in 1st or second and it's like a rattly noise with the vibration through the column.

Swervin_Mervin
20-06-2007, 13:38
Laine, I tried this and whilst I wasn't entirely sure how to adjust it properly (I just undid the 4 lower bots near the PAS reservoir, the limiter bolt and the doughnut bolt on the upper bit of the mount) it seems to have improved.

Still not 100% but I couldn't get the engine any further forward. So I might have to loosen the downpipe bolts and give everything a shove forwards on the exhaust.

Will this work d'you reckon? Also when doing up the downpipe bolts should they be fully tightened or are you suppoed to leave them a bit loose so the springs can move? :?