PDA

View Full Version : Modding a williams

soupie69uk
19-05-2007, 23:55
Have had a search about the forum over the last week or so and was wondering what mods most people do to their williams.

Like what is worthwhile and what isnt.

Intake - standard airbox with a panel filter or induction kit or closed like BMC etc.?

Exhaust - I would want a quiet system with some gains, magnex, supersprint and then decat or not? Oh yeah and manifold to.

Suspension - Lower or not? Coilovers? Anti roll bar?

Gear change - Quickshift?

Also wheels do most people then fit 195 50 tyres as they are cheaper? Also many people fitted light weight 16s instead of 15s or this knacker the handling?

Cheers guys, if I get a williams I would probably do a few mods but nothing that could not be put back standard.

Daz.
20-05-2007, 00:26
Airbox - Standard with an aftermarket filter is the best option really

Exhausts - being Biased I'd recommend Powerflow for a custom jobby - mines about as quiet as aftermarkets exhausts get

Suspension - Why mess with perfection? I've had a lowered williams and now the same car standard - standard pisses all over it in my personal opinion - day to day its spot on and I defy anyone to tell me my car is any slower point to point than when it was lowered - its far more adjustable standard therefore more confidence inspiring so you tend to push a bit harder

Gear change - quickshifts are a waste of time I think quite a few on here will agree - lowers the knob too so you have to reach further down to change which takes longer and wastes the time you've supposedly changed! Some are also pants made so you get selector issues

Wheels - most change to 195/50/R15s for their cheapness and in my opinion again give you more feedback through the wheel

Alloys - Anyone who's performance orientated on here in general will always stick to 15's, 16s kill acceleration and usually increase unsprung weight which is a bad thing - plus its a willy and its not allowed

:D

soupie69uk
20-05-2007, 00:33
Cheers for the reply mate, you know your stuff.

So even coilovers are no better than the standard setup?

Also what about strut brace and a chip?

Any other things that I have missed that you would recommend?

soupie69uk
20-05-2007, 00:37
Oh yeah plus - are even the B&M short shifters rubbish on the Clio? Was just I have one on my current car and was superb. Didn't shorten the length of the shifter just the throw.

Daz.
20-05-2007, 00:50
The quickshift and the coilovers I can't comment on as I've never had them on mine but thats the general feeling I've read about quickshifts on a 16v/williams

Coilovers are again all about personal preference It'd be great if someone has been through all the options on one car themselves - I've been curious about coilovers for a while but I'd be running them at standard height if I did but it seems that most people whack em down on coils so its hard to say how they fare...

Chip is one thing I'm getting done soon to raise the limiter as sometimes its annoying bouncing off it when the car wants to keep pulling - plus you'd be able to creep upto 60mph in 2nd instead of third...

Strutbraces again are one thing I'm considering - I do know its bad to put them on willy 3's due to the sunroof and the flex it creates on the roof (creases the corners of the sunroof) but as I have a willy 2 that 'shouldn't' affect me..

I don't know why but people seem to be put off strut braces?

soupie69uk
20-05-2007, 00:58
Ok thanks again for the info.

Will leave you be now.

Now get to sleep!! :lol:

MatBrown
20-05-2007, 01:02

LOL!
Daz?
:wink:

Mat.

Daz.
20-05-2007, 13:29

LOL!
Daz?
:wink:

Mat.

I'm sorry you driven my car mat? :wink:

I know a lot more than people make out biatch!

MatBrown
20-05-2007, 15:41
Hehe.

Only playing fella.

Mat.

Daz.
20-05-2007, 19:28
:matbrown:

Tommo
22-05-2007, 13:44

So even coilovers are no better than the standard setup?

Also what about strut brace and a chip?

Any other things that I have missed that you would recommend?

Suspension...I agree it's down to personal preference, personally I like the car to be stiff as hell, hence why I have lowered and stiffened Koni's

Exhaust....Many options, I have just bought a full magnex so will keep you posted on what it's like, scorpion do a nice aftermarket system, or you could go the custom route with powerflow, blueflame....lots of options available.

Intake....personally I'd stick with standard airbox with panel filter, but if you want to go aftermarket the K&N 57i is supposed to be ok

Wheels....stick with 15". The 195/50 vs 185/55 has been discussed many times on here, I have driven with both types of tyres and I prefer 195/50's, Goodyear Eagle F1's are a good buy imo...

Quickshift Gearchange.....never driven a clio with this mod so can't comment.

You could also have...

Ported and polished head
Fast road cams (kent, piper etc.)
Chip
Limited slip diff (gripper, quaife etc)
Uprated pads and discs or 4 pots (wilwood etc.)
Throttle Bodies (big money)
Turbo/supercharger (bigger money)

Depends how much your willing to spend really mate.

Hope this helps!

rob-legend
23-05-2007, 09:28
Strutbraces again are one thing I'm considering - I do know its bad to put them on willy 3's due to the sunroof and the flex it creates on the roof (creases the corners of the sunroof) but as I have a willy 2 that 'shouldn't' affect me..

is that true about the willy 3? i have a bolt in half cage in the back (4point with an adjustable cross bar) would that help the ability of fitting a strut brace (lower and upper)

Zollo
23-05-2007, 09:32
Intake - standard airbox with a panel filter.

Exhaust - Decat and cat-back system is worth it, but I'm not so sure about the manifold.

Chip - If you've got the money, a proper re-map is worth a fair bit of power, but even an off-the-shelf jobbie will give you more revs. As Daz says, it's annoying bumping into the low-set limit of the standard one.

Suspension - Very subjective thing, handling, but personally I agree with everything Daz has said. Even if a car feels better because it rolls less, that doesn't neccessarily mean it can go down a road any quicker. Coilovers aren't the be-all-and-end-all. Badly setup, they're worse than a conventional strut and spring setup. And even well setup, I'd agrue that the standard is better on the road. Others will disagree, which is fair enough!

Strut-brace - unless you have a sunroof, why not. I found a strut-brace made things a little more jiggly on a different car I owned, though.

Gear change - The standard setup can beat the syncros anyway, so is it worth it?

Wheels - keep with the 15s. 195/50s are cheaper and will give sharper handling, 185/55s will give more composed handling and tramline slightly less.

Other things - Take some weight out of the car if you can. Spare wheel, rear seats, parcelshelf, boot carpet is very easily removed/re-fitted. Also, standard brakes should be fine, but I'd recommend better pads and fluid and perhaps braided hoses. For more power, look at cams (a re-map is highly recommended then).