PDA

View Full Version : Help with Suspension Struts..... Avo's.

Jamie.
19-05-2007, 19:07
Ok so i got a road sport kit and was attempted to be fitted today....
Now the nuts which came with the strut which sit under the donut wont fit. The garage told me to ask avo for smaller nuts which will fit under the donut mount thing, or get a new donut mount with a larger bottom bit to allow the bigger nuts to fit in. The threads are all right, but the side wall on the nuts are too big.

Anyone had this problem before and how do i sort it?

Rich
19-05-2007, 19:30
so do your topmounts just sit higher? if so my new willy shocks came with bigger nuts from renault. (OEM Shocks) I just fitted them as they came and have had no problems

Jamie.
19-05-2007, 19:44
Im not explaining it right, hopefully richy will explain it right for me...

Jamie.
19-05-2007, 20:08
anyone in the north west/chester area which can have a look with me?

richy
19-05-2007, 20:12
right from what i can gather, the big donut all fits on but the normal small gold nut will not fit over the strut itself, the avo nuts will go on and hold the spring/strut down but that means the top cap(bit that holds them to car) wont go on fully due to the avo nuts being bigger and not fitting inside the std cap like the little gold nuts do

if anyone is close by who has a good idea on the set-up could have a look to confirm!

Jamie.
19-05-2007, 20:58
Yeh would be great if someone around chester could help, or if i could come to someones, be much appreciated.

arj256
20-05-2007, 13:36
right from what i can gather, the big donut all fits on but the normal small gold nut will not fit over the strut itself, the avo nuts will go on and hold the spring/strut down but that means the top cap(bit that holds them to car) wont go on fully due to the avo nuts being bigger and not fitting inside the std cap like the little gold nuts do

if anyone is close by who has a good idea on the set-up could have a look to confirm!

If the gold nut doesnt fit then the top plate thread wont fit either due to the internal thread being the same, implying the shocks are wrong.
But i think the top plate thread fits so it should go together?

Dan_mk1
20-05-2007, 18:27
Ive had the same problem, its the top mounts. Midge has a right set of top mounts but Renault dont sell them anymore, mine sit high and the handling dont feel right, ive got some aftermarket top mounts to try...Ive tried contacting AVO and theyre useless!

richy
20-05-2007, 21:17

If the gold nut doesnt fit then the top plate thread wont fit either due to the internal thread being the same, implying the shocks are wrong.
But i think the top plate thread fits so it should go together?

i know thats what i said, there are the same thread, but jamie said the gold nut def dont fit but the top cap/nut does!

so........................

lol

Jamie.
21-05-2007, 08:55
i will ring avo today, i will just ask for them to provide the parts to make them fit or refund them. maybe i will ask them if they can compare the width of the shock thread on the road sports to the coilovers as many of you have said on the coilovers the standard nut just fits on over.

Dan_mk1
21-05-2007, 12:27
Good luck dude, ive tried ringing AVO a few times, left messages etc and no one ever gets back to me!

Jamie.
21-05-2007, 17:52
rung avo and i told them the problem, and they said that nut didnt need to go anywhere, or at least they didnt know that it did.

Seems they dont really know what they are selling and are going to refund the fronts to me.

So where esle and who else sells some decent front suspension for a reasonable price which will acutally go together?

arj256
21-05-2007, 18:30
Get some of these :wink:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/jambes-AV-BILSTEIN-CLIO-I-2-L-WILLIAMS-VE3-4183_W0QQitemZ330120191081QQihZ014QQcategoryZ73772 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jamie.
21-05-2007, 22:07
bit gutted as the rear feels amazing with the avos on, really wanted the fronts on :(

AVOUK
25-05-2007, 14:09
TEST

AVOUK
25-05-2007, 14:27
KEEPS SAYING ERROR WHEN TRYING TO POST A LONER MESSAGE
ANYONE KNOW WHY

2 live
25-05-2007, 16:10
taking too long to write the post??

maybe write it out, highlight n copy it, try post, if it wont, just paste n try again.. hope this helps

Dan_mk1
25-05-2007, 16:54
If its too much split it into 2 posts!

Jamie.
25-05-2007, 17:05
Just spoken to AVO and i have a feeling as to what they were trying to say....

AVO are going to provide me with some gold nuts which do go over the thread and will fit into the top mount.

The standard huge nut which was provided shouldn't have been left on as they are for 'normal' other cars with differing top mounts and some gold nuts should have come with it.

The guy guaranteed me that these new nuts will fit inside my top mounts :D

So for Danmk1 who has had the same problem as me get on the blower and ask them for some of these nuts, they are even refunding me the postage to send them back, cant say fairer than that.

2 live
25-05-2007, 17:13
sounds like good customer service to me ;)

glad alls sorted.

Jamie.
25-05-2007, 17:18
hoping so, as the back is soo hard and the front is relativley soft in comparison.

Dan_mk1
26-05-2007, 21:10
Cool dude, ill get on to them on tuesday, what number did you get them on? The number I had they wasnt answering...

mikeymikewakey
26-05-2007, 21:24
Which Abo kit did you buy sorry? And how much? Is it the lowering kit "shocks and springs" or did you get the full coilover kit?

Mike

Jamie.
27-05-2007, 11:23
The AVO number i got directly off their website, everytime i have rung them they have answered, your not ringing the fax number are you?!

Mike; i went for the road sports kit. I didnt see the point in coilovers as i wont want to adjust the height, however i did want to adjust damping so i just saved myself a few quid and got the road sport kit....

As for price, i just emailed avo sales and asked them the best price they could do on the roadsports. I referenced the sale on the coilovers and this website and mentioned that i didnt need coilies and what was the best priced alternative they could do. In the end they knocked a bit off for me compared to the price on the site so the variance in prices was a little better for me.

Just hoping that when i get the bits back it all goes together nicely.

willy3
28-05-2007, 22:53
have avo adjustables on the front of williams, and also had a set on the valver, rate them greatly, good shocks.............ground the lip of my top mounts so that the nylock nut went on fully, instead of using the thinner nuts ,as i didn't have any but if avo want to supply me with some for free then i'll gladly accept....... :lol:

Jamie.
09-06-2007, 16:03
Just fitted them and they have had to come straight off.... had enough of this palava and am just sending them back for a refund.

After fitting them it was apparent that they did not lower the car by the stated 25mm but more like 60mm as when you go over a small bump or apply the smallest amount of lock the tyres scrub. After a 10 min drive you could see the wear on the tyres staraight away.... Bit pissed off tbh. I have had those -25mm springs on before and it sat fine, the problem now is that the new shocks are shorter and as such when combined with the lowering springs they go down alot more.

I have offically given up!

Jamie.
09-06-2007, 16:15
I forgot to add that i measured the clearance to the bumper when stationary to be around 5mm!!!

Dan_mk1
11-06-2007, 10:10
Send me the nuts dude! lol