PDA

View Full Version : as mrk 1 owners i want universal opions please..

freebone16v
17-05-2007, 16:16
end of an era, my mark 1 valver has been agreed to be sold, it is on its way.*

i have chosen to look at phase 1 172's for my next car and have been looking for a little while.

i now have a dilema, there are 2 cars in question.

1. the first is local and kind of a friend, has 12 months mot and is HPI clear, has some mods, some that i will change and has a few little panel gaps, basically it will need a little bit of work to get it how i want, but i can have it for £3000, i can pay this outright.

2. i have found a basically mint example but it is across country, it needs no work that i know of and is totally standard, has half the miles and is up for £4000, this i will need to get a £1000 loan for...

i am trying to work out what is worth it more, any opinions are really helpful, whether it be on loans or panel gaps

*keeping the valver and hybriding it is now not an option..sorry..lol

nyk
17-05-2007, 16:27
Its simple maths really. Will it cost you more than a grand to get the chaper one into a condition your happy with?

I'd go with the more expensive, less mileage mint example. As the cheaper one will cost you more in the long run.

:D

Zollo
17-05-2007, 16:34
Have you driven both? I'd go for the one that drives nicer!

Otherwise, the more expensive one gets my vote. Even if you get everything on the cheap one sorted, it'll still have twice the miles.

northy
17-05-2007, 16:40
i agree with zollo. If somethings not quite right with panel gaps i would want to know why.

4k one for me.

Shame your selling up mate

freebone16v
17-05-2007, 17:32
its really hard to decide between the 2

i have not driven the more expensive 1 as it is quite a distance from myself.

the cheaper one with panel gaps is HPI clear however i have spoken to the previous owner (before the current seller), he did not have an accident in it but did put a new engine in, he said when he did this, some bits did not match up perfectly.

do you guys think that mileage really matters on these cars as some say they drive better the further on they get.

northy - it was kind of by chance mine has been sold, was speaking to a friend and he was looking for one, we have agreed on a price we are both happy with so i thought it was time to move on, i did look at hybriding it but in the end could not justify the cost compared to how much it would be to buy a newer car with basically the same power

Andy P
17-05-2007, 18:02
Have a look at some more matey, plenty of them to go look at. I wouldnt want to rush into buying one.

Even if it means getting a £100 nail to runabout in until you find the right one 8)

big hp
17-05-2007, 18:05
Not fancy a williams?

Zollo's is well worth a look and almost in your price range.

MAXIBOY
17-05-2007, 18:42
i did look at hybriding it but in the end could not justify the cost compared to how much it would be to buy a newer car with basically the same power

yes but also more weight with that power. and not a good a chassis.

freebone16v
17-05-2007, 21:30
big hp - it would be pointless going to a williams imo, i love them and they are great little cars but for so many reasons they are too similar to the valver, if that was the case i may aswell have hybrided the valver.

maxiboy - i see your point, but for the reason i have now sold mine, its not an option...lol

FincH
17-05-2007, 23:23
Dude I was/Am in exactly the same position as you.

Sold the Valver and want to move on from Mk1's.

Looked at a 172 Cup and saved up £5k but was going to need another £1k loan to afford it...or buy something like a 106 GTi and live comfortably.

Came to the decision to buy what I can afford.

All well and good borrowing money but you will need to pay it back at some point and will be getting charged for it. Also if any seriosu problems arise you could be up poo creek.

By the sounds of it £3k is your budget so stick to cars in that price range. Plenty of decent cars available for £3k and so what if it aint mintm gives you summat to work towards.

Hope that helps.

MatBrown
18-05-2007, 01:28
2. i have found a basically mint example but it is across country, it needs no work that i know of and is totally standard, has half the miles and is up for £4000, this i will need to get a £1000 loan for...

i have not driven the more expensive 1 as it is quite a distance from myself.

If you have not driven the 4k one, i would presume you have not been to see it?
This would be the first thing i would do as a lot of peoples opinion of *mint* is totally different to mine.
Any car can look good in pictures.

But if it did turn out to be as described i would go for that one.

Mat.

Daz.
18-05-2007, 01:40
4k one for me IF like mat says its as good as its said to be...

I usually find you know yourself which is the best one for you - I've never bought a shit un yet :twisted:

MatBrown
18-05-2007, 02:26

I usually find you know yourself which is the best one for you - I've never bought a s**t un yet :twisted:

We're not talking about resprays then? :wink:

Mat.

zmaster2k
18-05-2007, 08:16
northy - it was kind of by chance mine has been sold, was speaking to a friend and he was looking for one, we have agreed on a price we are both happy with so i thought it was time to move on, i did look at hybriding it but in the end could not justify the cost compared to how much it would be to buy a newer car with basically the same power

That would be me then! YAY! :twisted:

My opinion Neil, go have a look at the more expensive one and see what the drive is like, pannel gaps always make me wary!....hence why iam buying yours as its the best example ive seen! :)

freebone16v
18-05-2007, 08:47
the more expensive 172 is being held for me, the chap seems very genuine, he put it up 3 days ago i said i was very interested and he said he would give me first refusal until i can see it in a weeks time

as finch has highlighted it may be better to get the cheaper one as i would not need a loan, however someone has mentioned to me that when i very first went to view the car i walked away because of possible accident damage.

are loans really that much trouble with cars?

zmaster2k
18-05-2007, 10:02
no comment..................but then again i did buy a 5 turbo lol! :lol:

MatBrown
18-05-2007, 11:16
the more expensive 172 is being held for me, the chap seems very genuine, he put it up 3 days ago i said i was very interested and he said he would give me first refusal until i can see it in a weeks time

as finch has highlighted it may be better to get the cheaper one as i would not need a loan, however someone has mentioned to me that when i very first went to view the car i walked away because of possible accident damage.

are loans really that much trouble with cars?

£1k is hardly alot tho, my credit card is nearly that every month.

Mat.

Zollo
18-05-2007, 16:33
Yeah, monthly repayments on a grand will be bugger all.

You definitely need to go see this car before making any decisions though...

Daz.
18-05-2007, 16:52

I usually find you know yourself which is the best one for you - I've never bought a s**t un yet :twisted:

We're not talking about resprays then? :wink:

Mat.

Bodywork on older cars like these I don't count - Obviously on a newer mk2 it should be near the top of the list!

16v_russ
18-05-2007, 20:34
i bought my 2001 172 for just over 2k mate with 98k on the clock,hpi clear,full ren history and in blk too (only 117 made :lol: )

id say look a bit futher if u dont want to take more money out,iv seen 3 the same as mine but a year older for 2500

freebone16v
18-05-2007, 23:08
sounds good russ, and no offence to yourself but personally i would not buy a car like that on that kind of mileage, my valver has around that and whilst i have got the oppourtunity i think i want to go for something much lower

16v_russ
18-05-2007, 23:30
yea course mate,i didnt wanna go highish either but for that price i couldnt say no,and it runs drives performs and is reliable as my mates 172 on 58k