PDA

View Full Version : Place your bets now...

white16valver
17-05-2007, 15:50
... as to how much my MOT is going to cost lol

Bloke has rung to say they've failed it on:

Blue sidelight bulbs (even though they're PIAA ones that are white with a blue-ish tinge that I've had in for a year and driven round police-filled town at night on sidelights only and haven't been stopped yet :roll: )
Smashed door mirror (thanks to the woman down the road :x )
Exhaust Blowing (yep, fair enough I suppose)
Emissions (which better be sorted once the exhaust blow is...)
Door catch not working properly
Track rod end
Parking brake deficient ("Dangerous" apparently...)

Oh, and an advice for a low tyre tread. (It's got about 3-4mm left over most of the tyre ffs, it's just the outside edge from roundabouts that's a little bit low.)

I wouldn't mind but there's never been a problem before with the bulbs, the door, the exhaust and the handbrake being exactly like they are now - it's just the fact it's a different MOT station.

I can see this being £300+... :roll:

stevie_b
17-05-2007, 16:01
Can they fail it on the defunct door mirror? I thought you only need two to be operable - which would be the interior rear view and the other door mirror in your case, I assume?

bluenose
17-05-2007, 16:06
Shouldnt be that expensive mate, can do most of those little bits yourself. Mine went for a full service today and my mate just phoned up and said they will replace a wheel bearing (expected this as it was noisy as hell!) but when they were doing this they noticed the ball joint was completely fubarred so they have to replace that as it is dangerously knackered. Money pits.

ae
17-05-2007, 16:36
I think if you have a mirror it has to work. If the car doesn't have one as standard its fine.

Andrew

white16valver
17-05-2007, 16:39
I guess it's no worse than losing £1500 a year in depreciation on a new car, it's just that you feel it more because it's coming straight out your pocket :(

Stevie - I reckon it's the old "If it's fitted it must work" rule :roll:

I wouldn't mind but I've got a spare doorcatch in my room, it's just that I have no way to get it there now... (unless anyone's going from chelmsford area to Harlow between now and saturday morning? lol)

white16valver
17-05-2007, 16:39
doh, too slow on the mirror response lol

stevie_b
17-05-2007, 16:54
I think if you have a mirror it has to work. If the car doesn't have one as standard its fine.

Andrew

Could be. My Dad's '69 Cooper S passes with just the one exterior mirror and they were probably options in those days! I've got a pair of door mirrors off the car at the moment if you need to borrow one to get through the test - I'm based near Colchester, if that is of any use?

white16valver
17-05-2007, 19:57
I don't think I could get it unfortunately :(

Thanks for the offer though :)

He should have a couple spare lying around I think - will have to wait and see...

MatBrown
18-05-2007, 01:13
You need to have two mirrors working, one of which must be the drivers side.

You could try asking Riplash if he's going that way, not that far from you.

Mat.

white16valver
23-05-2007, 22:11
Well, final bill came to...

... £425.

Ouch.

But it is all sorted now so I am happy :) (ish... lol)

richy
23-05-2007, 22:15
ouch, dont think ive spent that on mot's on all the cars ive owned! must of been really lucky with them lol

white16valver
23-05-2007, 22:20
It was only so much because I left it too late to sort things for cheap myself (well done... :roll: ) and because I took it to Mark Fish for a proper job lol