PDA

View Full Version : Problem on the hybrid, kangarooing, not running right!

cliokiz
16-05-2007, 07:55
I took my willy engine out in Jan for some work whilst my car was off the road until the beginning of May. The engine ran absolutely fine before it was taken out, never had an issue with it.

However, since i've put it back in, something really isn't right, as i'm experiencing the following problems:

From a cold start the power feels lumpy and it will start to kangaroo down the road. Once you get to higher revs its fine, and seems better when it warms up.

On idle, it sounds weird, not the normal smooth idle you'd expect. I know valver/willy engines tend to splutter a bit at times, had that on both my engines, but since it has been put back in, it just doesn't idle right. Listening to the exhaust, it doesn't sound like the engine it running smoothly, as if it's making a slight popping noise or something. Hard to explain, but i guess you could say it's a bit like a misfire (although it's not misfiring).

If i'm driving along, and i come to a junction and dip the clutch, the revs hover at 1500rpm, until i come to a standstill, then they drop down to the usual 950RPM. Never had that before. Also, if you're driving along slowly in 2nd gear, and the revs drop to 1500, because it seems to idle at that when moving, the car seems to lerch forward and is accelerating, whilst i'm trying to brake. Again, hard to explain, but if you are driving in 2nd, and the revs drop to 1000RPM ish, you can just let the car roll, it's a bit like that but faster due to increased revs.

Also, it's worth mentioning that when i very first ran the engine, the exhaust was only loosely connected. When i started it, it idled fine, but then a few days later when i drove it (exhaust was stilll loose), it was cutting out every time i put my foot on the clutch. This improved when i had the exhaust fixed and sealed though.

I took the gearbox off the engine whilst it was out, which meant disconnecting earths, and being the noob that i am, i took off the sensor on the top of the gearbox. All earths have been put back on (but in a different place on the box due to the additional R19 mount), and i've also put that sensor back on, but could moving that sensor be causing issues?

I'm going to have a proper look at it at the weekend as it's annoying me a bit now, it runs really rough, the revs are normal but doesn't sound right at all....

Anyone have any ideas as to what may cause this? ISCV maybe? Bearing in mind i had no issues with the engine at all before i took it all to bits! :roll:

Cheers all!

AndyFielder
16-05-2007, 09:38
when my RN had the odd revs thing, i chaged the single point injector jobby with a spare i had on another engine, and it was fine after that.

You could smell fuel when comming up to a junction with high revs, then breaking.. cheaper to run now :P

zmaster2k
16-05-2007, 11:37
could be timing.

AmDaMan
16-05-2007, 12:22
If the cambelt was put to it's propper marks the timing can only be set one way unless he has cams and adjustables.

Check your ISCV
Earths
If it's still trying to pull with no trottle check you have adjusted your accelerator cable right.
The car will idle a bit higher when moving if you have your clutch in due to the road speed sensor, but 1500 is a bit high.
Kangarooing may be the TPS

Had/Having similar problems at the moment mate, pain in the arse.

cliokiz
17-05-2007, 12:55
could be timing.

Interesting point - whilst the engine was out i had the cambelt replaced and new tappets installed, so its possible the timing could be out. Can any local garage check this?

I don't think it's the TPS, it was fine before the engine came out and hasn't been touched, so i don't see how that could have changed.

Could possibly be te ISCV, as it hasn't been run for about 4 months, so it's possible that is sticking..

I'm sure it doesn't feel as powerful as it did before, so does that mean the timing is out? The guy at the garage did mention i might need to tweak the dizzy cap as my timing might be out.

Could removing the sensor at the top of the gearbox then putting it back on cause this problem? Do they have to be in exactly the right place, or doesn't it matter?

My speedo cable seems loose as well, i can just pull it straight out of the gearbox without the black clip attached. Can this cause running problems?

Cheers for any help!

I'll have a proper look this weekend (if it stops raining), but any other suggestions are most appreciated!

MattyH16valver
17-05-2007, 14:13
Sounds like your lambada sensor is knackered to me m8, same symtoms I had...new one solved it... :D

MatBrown
18-05-2007, 01:06
could be timing.
I'm sure it doesn't feel as powerful as it did before, so does that mean the timing is out? The guy at the garage did mention i might need to tweak the dizzy cap as my timing might be out.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
The dizzy cap is bolted in place and not adjustable!

Mat.

cliokiz
18-05-2007, 09:51
Mine uses screws, can't you adjust it a tiny bit when the screws are loose?

I'm just going by what the bloke at the garage said... lol

I'll try a new lambda sensor as i've got one spare in the garage, see if that makes a difference.

When driving to work this morning it felt strange, i was accelerating gently in 1st/2nd and you could feel there's a lack of power, then it kicks in, then dies away again, so she certainly isn't happy!

Mat... is this something you think you could diagnose? You said you've never had a problem you can't fix on these engines yet :wink:

AmDaMan
18-05-2007, 13:40
that sounds like lambda to me.

cliokiz
18-05-2007, 13:52
Cheers Amit will whack the spare one i've got on from the 16v downpipe i have in the garage!

As soon as it's sorted i'll pop up to Sheffeild to see whats happening with yours!

stoveitin
09-07-2007, 12:23
hiya just wondering if u sorted this problem atall cliokiz
i know it was along time ago you had it thou but mine is exactly the same just after a engine rebuild too :x any help would apprecitated thx :)

cliokiz
09-07-2007, 13:06
Not yet but as mentioned in my PM it turns out my head is shagged anyway and it's just burning oil constantly so as mentioned above it probably is my lambda causing all the issues.

Once i get the head sorted i'll whack the spare lambda in and see what it's like after that. Need to find a new head first though which is proving to be a mission!

Sigh...!

number1
11-07-2007, 19:23
I had similar on my old valver after engine change, revs kangarooing, missing and farting, turned out the cam timing was a tooth out on the exhaust cam, changed everything before i checked that! doh!

Andyvalver
11-07-2007, 19:50
If its not the timing check the earths (best to re attatch them), clean the icv and check the speedo cable is in proper cuz the road speed sensor some times messes up, <it did that on mine

MattyH16valver
11-07-2007, 19:55
My moneys on the lamba sensor.