PDA

View Full Version : Advice on filling bump strips.

Hulio
14-05-2007, 14:42
I now need to respray my front bumper anyway due to some idiot who should not be in charge of a motor vehicle (rant over)
I am thinking about filling in and smoothing the bump strips on the front and rear bumpers, so that when I colour code them, there will be no extra lines on the inside where the insert is as I think this looks awful when it is all just sprayed over.
I am aware that this would make the filler vulnerable from parking scrapes etc so I would like some advice if anybody has any, on what type of filler I could use and how to go about it as I am going to do the work myself (apart from the spraying) and I have no real experience at it.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

bass_direct
14-05-2007, 15:14
i've got an old bumper lying around if you want to practice on it :) it's not that hard to do, but the key is the preparation, good prep works means a good finish...

bass_direct
14-05-2007, 15:14
sorry to hear about your scrape! this is the mintest valver i've ever seen lol

nyk
14-05-2007, 15:29
Dont bog them with filler. Plastic weld a strip in to fill the gap as best you can, then skim over with filler to smooth out.

With it being the front bumper, which is prone to weather/stone chips when your driving, the filler will crack and swell with water, so you want to use as little as possible.

Fiberglass is the best bet but you need to be a wizard to work with it.

Practice on a spare bumper with a few methods before you do it on your own.

:D