PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out at junctions when cold

1fast6
14-05-2007, 13:16
I've been searching through loads of old threads but have not found the definitive solution to this yet so here goes:

When stone cold, the car will stall at junctions if i let the revs drop too rapidly. If i slow the car down while in gear to around 1000rpm then it wont cut out however if i dip the clutch at 2k+ then it will stall.

Strangely, once it gets a little bit warmer, it won't stall like this but i've recently discovered that it will stall if i drop the revs from a higher figure e.g. 3.5k+.

I'm thinking either a faulty crank angle sensor or sticking ISCV?

All earths are good and the car idles perfectly cold or warm.

What do you guys think?

AmDaMan
14-05-2007, 19:19
ISCV and road speed sensor are the 1st things i'd check.

1fast6
18-05-2007, 11:09
bump.

Road speed sensor is part of the speedo cable right? If so it has already been earthed.

ISCV will come off for a clean at the weekend, will clean up the crank angle sensor with a wire brush at the same time.

Any other ideas lads?

MAXIBOY
18-05-2007, 11:20
just because the speedo cable has been earthed doesn,t mean its not faulty though.

dan-hipgrave
18-05-2007, 16:54
Coolant Temp sensor. Caused me all sorts of problems when cold. New one from Renault for a few quid and all problems solved. :D

1fast6
18-05-2007, 17:26
Coolant Temp sensor. Caused me all sorts of problems when cold. New one from Renault for a few quid and all problems solved. :D

What problems did it cause mate?

MattyH16valver
18-05-2007, 19:31
I cleaned the ISCV with Carb cleaner not long before you bought it. :D

dan-hipgrave
19-05-2007, 16:10

Exactly as you describe - when coming to a junction/standstill, dip the clutch and the car dies. On the rare occasion it didnt die, it would idle at 400-500rpm, nearly cutting out. If i left the dipping of the clutch until the revs were very low, it would be fine.

Even though i had previosuly tested my coolant temp sensor and it seemed fine (resistance dropping with temp increase), i bought a new one anyway and it solved the problem.

1fast6
20-05-2007, 22:52

Exactly as you describe - when coming to a junction/standstill, dip the clutch and the car dies. On the rare occasion it didnt die, it would idle at 400-500rpm, nearly cutting out. If i left the dipping of the clutch until the revs were very low, it would be fine.

Even though i had previosuly tested my coolant temp sensor and it seemed fine (resistance dropping with temp increase), i bought a new one anyway and it solved the problem.

Thanks mate i'll try that.