PDA

View Full Version : Car won't turn over????

scubaman44
14-05-2007, 11:42
It is a newly put in williams engine.

Can't get hold of Stan either..... gotta drive back to Somerset for an interview today so am in shit.

Drove fine everytime previous. Now its just clicking when i turn the key.... maybe battery although it is pretty new?

Any help appreciated. Thankyou, Steve.

2 live
14-05-2007, 11:48
check the terminals on the bettery. take em off n retighten.

MAXIBOY
14-05-2007, 11:54
other wise try hammering the starter motor.

scubaman44
14-05-2007, 12:18
Ok, have checked terminals, cleaned of they are fine.

Also have been hammering starter motor and still not responding.... used a big hammer aswell :D

Will try bump start it, its deffo starter motor as can feel the solenoid clicking.

Thanks guys, Steve.

AmDaMan
14-05-2007, 12:21
check connections on starter

Rich
14-05-2007, 12:29
aye will be live feed to starter motor i can almost guarentee it

Purple
14-05-2007, 12:50
Few basic things to check first:-

Check gearbox earth is connected properly.

Do you hear the fuel pump whir when you turn the key to accessories position? If you can't hear it, check that fuel pump connector is clean and tightly connected (under rear seat). If that checks out OK, then give the fuel pump a couple of twack when starting up (with small plank, soft mallet, hard fist or whatever but not with anyhing that will damage the pump).

Purple
14-05-2007, 12:52
^^^^ Oops, sorry scubaman. Didn't see you second post.

donsrno1
14-05-2007, 12:58
yeah, try bump starting it and take it from there.

northy
14-05-2007, 13:02
make sure the white wire that connects to the starter is fitted as without this it will just click !

alex_e3
15-05-2007, 09:31
Had this exact problem the other week when i was removing an old handsfree unit.

Took the power lead for it off the battery, and after that all i got was a click when i attempted to start it. As said above, it'll be your battery terminal connection. The small wire on the starter i thought is to the ignition, so if that had come off you wouldn't even be getting a click.

What i did in the end was unscrew the battery terminal, then i gave the engine harness a few wiggles on the battery terminal, and i could hear a faint click every so often. Hence it obviously wasn't connecting right.

scubaman44
15-05-2007, 11:31
Ok..... basically, managed to bump start the car with a mate, drove to get petrol. Started ok??? Then got the car to APD and Craig had a look. Tried to start it again and nothing, not even a click. As Northy said the white wire had come out. Putting it back in and it started fine.

Deemed ok(ish) I made my way back to Somerset for my Interview. Stopped on the roundabout at the M4/M5 link road for an EMERGENCY P*SS. I didn't wanna stop the car at the services as I may not get it started again. Long and behold I stopped, TURNED THE CAR OFF outta habit and had to jump start the thing down the emergency sliproad :shock:

Now the car is home, won't start or bump start. White wire is present and starter is still clicking. Time for a new starter me thinks :(

Sorry for the long winded post/story guys.

Cheers for all the help posts, Steve.