PDA

View Full Version : Clio Williams turbo

mays
09-05-2007, 21:01
done a little research after my post on the twin webber 45s.... spoke to a few people and it turns out that low pressure turbo conversions are spose to be a good idea.. priced everything up and its guna be over a grand but its said the running 10 psi 210 bhp can be made.. sounds interesting....

10psi with standard internals..... runnning 5 turbo..
the space under the bonnet seems a real joke... especially as i wanted to run a front mount if i were to do the conversion.... space for intercooler piping is minimal...

anyone had it done.... done it....
many thanks. danny

ash clio gtt
09-05-2007, 21:10
done a little research after my post on the twin webber 45s.... spoke to a few people and it turns out that low pressure turbo conversions are spose to be a good idea.. priced everything up and its guna be over a grand but its said the running 10 psi 210 bhp can be made.. sounds interesting....

10psi with standard internals..... runnning 5 turbo..
the space under the bonnet seems a real joke... especially as i wanted to run a front mount if i were to do the conversion.... space for intercooler piping is minimal...

anyone had it done.... done it....
many thanks. danny

hope you dont mean a standard renault 5 gtt turbo? t2 would be to small for a 1.8 really.

most people use chargecoolers with the conversion. be warned though the pace chargecooler cores are apparently shocking :wink:

clio_rsi_turbo
10-05-2007, 17:39
it can be done mate, here's mine took me all day to fit tho.

looks mental tho, i luuuuuuve it. :lol:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/717000-717999/717804_29_full.jpg

Mattie
10-05-2007, 22:12
any more pics of that mate....engine bay etc? looks interesting!

MAXIBOY
10-05-2007, 22:30
coops was running a low boost conversion.

Coops
10-05-2007, 22:48
didnt fit it tho myself, and then suitably blew it up! lasted 4 years and 10000 miles tho till i got my greasey paws on it, lasted 1k and 2 months! :oops:

chargecooled, with battery in the boot for space
std internals, green injectors, 2 bar map sensor, 1.6mm headgasket

ran 9psi of boost, and put out 217bhp and 172lb/ft of torque at its last RR

heres how cramped it gets!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P3240101.jpg

mays
12-05-2007, 17:36
so is urs actually the 1.8 16v engine then or what.... ive got the williams engine..... what turbo was used..... im told that 12 psi can be run max with the standard pistons......
a duno what ur on about sayin that the 5 turbo wont be enough because the car dosent have one for starters..... plus..... im not guna run a huge turbo on 10 psi am i mate.... the lag would be a joke for 10 psi... hmm...

renault 21 turbo injectors do the job.... its just finding them...
reno 21 turbo map sensor has to be used aswell....
ill more than likely be using a reno 5 turbo.... or an impreza turbo which i have that dosent seem to be that big.... no chargecooler tho... big front mount is always guna look good...

engines out this week.... converting it to manual steering aswell....

mikeymikewakey
12-05-2007, 17:56
it can be done mate, here's mine took me all day to fit tho.

looks mental tho, i luuuuuuve it. :lol:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/717000-717999/717804_29_full.jpg

You bastard....

Im so jealous lol

Mike

clio_rsi_turbo
12-05-2007, 19:09
:lol:

ash clio gtt
12-05-2007, 21:50
so is urs actually the 1.8 16v engine then or what.... ive got the williams engine..... what turbo was used..... im told that 12 psi can be run max with the standard pistons......
a duno what ur on about sayin that the 5 turbo wont be enough because the car dosent have one for starters..... plus..... im not guna run a huge turbo on 10 psi am i mate.... the lag would be a joke for 10 psi... hmm...

ill more than likely be using a reno 5 turbo.... or an impreza turbo which i have that dosent seem to be that big.... no chargecooler tho... big front mount is always guna look good...

renault 5 gtt turbo is to small for a 1.8 or 2 litre engine trust me especialy if you plan to run 10psi on standard pistons :?

mays
13-05-2007, 11:54
so in that case why would k tec racing suggest i use the gt turbo.... bb tuning said i should aswell... what turbo would u be using... ive got a wide range so......
makes sense to use a small turbo for low boost.

what sort of bhp roughly do u think the williams engine can produce turbod....

i think up to now im guna run standard piston.... n e ideas....

does anybody have n e low comp pistons for sale.... cheers. danny

jamesy
13-05-2007, 13:16
mines a t28 turbo.

finlay
14-05-2007, 07:08

whats involved in converting to manual steering, is it aq major job, cause i want to do it aswell as my engines comming out soon

Coops
14-05-2007, 19:50
so in that case why would k tec racing suggest i use the gt turbo.... bb tuning said i should aswell... what turbo would u be using... ive got a wide range so......

5 GTT turbo will be fine mate, low boost as i said should see you around 200bhp maybe a little more on std pistons and rev limiter. but that will be the max without upgrades to everything. so if ur budget will stretch to a bigger turbo or some low comp pistons i'd do it while ur at it as then its got upgradability in the future. am currently uprating to low comp, high boost with forged pistons and thankfully the T28 unit i have will be capable of that

Clio_GTT
14-05-2007, 20:20

5 GTT turbo will be fine mate, low boost as i said should see you around 200bhp maybe a little more on std pistons and rev limiter. but that will be the max without upgrades to everything. so if ur budget will stretch to a bigger turbo or some low comp pistons i'd do it while ur at it as then its got upgradability in the future. am currently uprating to low comp, high boost with forged pistons and thankfully the T28 unit i have will be capable of that

A t2 will be fine on a 1.8/2.0 ? lol, I'd rather something a bit meatier, the restriction that T2 would cause wouldn't be worth the effort

Smudger
14-05-2007, 20:35
i agree, i would at the very least want a t25/t2 on a valver/willy lump

Smudger
14-05-2007, 20:36
even that tho would not be utilising the abilities of the F7 lump

ash clio gtt
14-05-2007, 21:56
would love to see the inlet temps of a t2 at 10psi on a 2 litre engine and the result of this on standard pistons :shock: i would be suprised if you got close to 200bhp with a tiny t2 turbo. a nice s14 200sx turbo would be more suited to the task

Coops
14-05-2007, 21:58
doh, my bad didnt realise std was T2, only ever read modded r5 stats by the looks of it! :oops:

mays
17-05-2007, 23:30
yer good points.... t2 turbos are small indeed... boost comes in quick but dosent hold for long.....
ive got myself a nice s14 t28 turbo.... its massive........
im gettin low comp pistons...

what else do you think i should upgrade...

im thinkin of duin the crank n conrods

any opinions guys....
many thanks...

MAXIBOY
17-05-2007, 23:34
only if your increasing the revs or intending to run over 350bhp

Coops
18-05-2007, 20:05
let u know in a fortnight, am gonna be runnin std rpm on forged low comp pistons and rest of the internals std,. if it blows up then you'll know! :P

dhay14
19-05-2007, 00:29
wil it make any differance is i use a set oc williams camshaft on a F7P motor on a turbo conversion? or do i have to have bigger valves to ?

forged rods + forged pistons so a high boost setup ?

MAXIBOY
19-05-2007, 00:36
cams are mildly wilder than f7p ones but not much. don,t need larger valves to use them. high boost means low compression pistons. anywhere between 7.5 and 8.5 to 1. does not mean forged rods or pistons but forged low compression pistons are better but more expensive.

Coops
19-05-2007, 09:12
as maxiboy says, to go high boost u dont necessarily need forged components, just low comp pistons which can be had in cast flavour or even machined standard piston flavour

the forged parts are really only if your going for crazy boost or uping the rev limiter under high boost, then forged internals are a good bet.

I'm getting forged pistons, which for my application may well be a bit of overkill as i'm going to stick to stock rev limiter and only boost upto around 15psi i think, but am going for future proof if i decide to go for a bit more later

Coops

stan
19-05-2007, 09:41
TBH if you have the spare cash, you should fit forged pistons even if the Cr is only dropped marginally and the boost is RELATIVELY low (read 8-12psi). They will massively help against detonation, not only due to reduced localised pressures and temps, but crown temp will be that much lower also.

As for bore and wall thickness...got to daft with either and boost and you risk bore flex. At best this will sap a load of power through energy loss past the rings...and worst its rebuild time. If it was me I would stick to std bore with lower bore, maybe marginally over size only to allow for a tidy finnishing/honing job.

Coops
19-05-2007, 11:44
^^^^

listen to above, now am glad i went forged! 8)

dhay14
19-05-2007, 12:33
ok
blok will be rebuild
i'll use wossner low comp pistons 8.0:1
forged H beam conrods + balanced crank
T3/T4 turbo
what do you guy's think?
82, 82.5 or 83 bore?

MAXIBOY
19-05-2007, 12:45
depends on your bore condition really. go up as much as is needed but not any more which will allow a further rebore in the future if need be. also thicker walls the better really.

Coops
19-05-2007, 13:17
ah, run std bore,82mm less work now and room for breathing if you need further work in the future!

dhay14
20-05-2007, 14:02
oki tnx

i will condiser it

dhay14
22-05-2007, 00:13
one more question when turbocharging an F7.. engine do you need a performance oil pomp? or should the original be just fine?

MAXIBOY
22-05-2007, 01:06
a standard one in good or as new condition will be fine.

dhay14
23-05-2007, 00:58
i came across this online store
anybody experience with ordering form them?

http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/index.html

ash clio gtt
23-05-2007, 13:21
i came across this online store
anybody experience with ordering form them?

http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/index.html

i have not personaly but lots of people on rtoc (renault turbo owners club) use their intercoolers

dhay14
23-05-2007, 15:30
ok and what about their conrods?