PDA

View Full Version : collant disappearing with no sign of a leak...

Tigeryang
09-05-2007, 20:54
my collant on the williams is just draining away within a week, ive topped it up 4 times over that last couple of months, i cant see any visible signs of a leak but im gonna top it up again and put a board under the engine to see if anything comes out.

the car itself is running totally fine at the minute, where would it be going and doing if it isnt a leak?

thanks

ash clio gtt
09-05-2007, 22:01
do a compression test (can get testers from halfords) as it maybe the start of your head gasket going.

MAXIBOY
09-05-2007, 22:20
do a pressure check on your cooling system. possible water pump leak etc. think kwik fit do them free.

Tigeryang
09-05-2007, 22:22
will do men, hope to christ its nothing serious, its not long had a top end rebuild after a cambelt snap :oops:

Tommo
10-05-2007, 08:28
Take off the oil cap and check for a yellow mayo deposit as this is a sign that the gasket is on it's way out. If not it may just be a simple leak from the hoses, rad etc. which as suggested can be checked with a pressure test on the coolant system.

northy
10-05-2007, 08:38
Can you see any leaks or hissing anywhere ???

Purple
10-05-2007, 08:38
Could be the radiator cap not sitting properly? The rubber seal in the cap could be broken or hardened.

big hp
10-05-2007, 16:07
its either thew cap or water pump.

Water pumps seem all too common on these cars as they get a bit older.

Tigeryang
10-05-2007, 18:44
no gunk on the oil cap at all, cant hear any hissing or leaks etc its going in next week to get a pressure test done but the guy said its most likely the water pump.

anyone a rough idea of labour cost to replace the pump, is it a big job?

thanks for the replies

Swervin_Mervin
10-05-2007, 21:15
Mine had this for ages. The doom-mongers told me it was the HG on the way out.

I got a new header bottle pressure cap.

Job jobbed.

8)

MAXIBOY
10-05-2007, 21:57
pump is a big job really as the timing belt etc has to come off. better to get both done at the same time if your not sure when the timing belt was done last.

Daz.
10-05-2007, 23:33
^^ I had a leak and couldn't see the problem - new pump sorted it and I had the belts done at the same time...

Random little oil leaks appeared over the last couple of days though! :evil:

mon
05-06-2007, 11:46
Mine had this for ages. The doom-mongers told me it was the HG on the way out.

I got a new header bottle pressure cap.

Job jobbed.

8)

doom mongers lol class

arj256
05-06-2007, 17:01
You can get the car leak tested.
Basically it puts a uv dye into the coolant and you leave it a while and use a uv light at night and it shows the leak quite nicely.
Could save you some hassle getting that done.

Chris H
07-06-2007, 02:25
pump is a big job really as the timing belt etc has to come off. better to get both done at the same time if your not sure when the timing belt was done last.

no it doesn't

in fact even better, explain as to why the cambelt has to come off

bluenose
07-06-2007, 08:45

no it doesn't

in fact even better, explain as to why the cambelt has to come off

think he means the auxillary belt, not the cambelt :?

ollie16v
07-06-2007, 08:53
Have you tried to purge the system? remove the cap and run the engine and losen the radiator plug located to the top left (it unscrews so far). Water should start coming straight out if it dosnt there will be air in the system, wait till water comes out and then tighten the plug back up and return the cap.

This sorted the same problem on mine.

Be careful the coolent can be very hot!

:D

wavy
07-06-2007, 10:17
on mine it turned out to be the bleed screw
check for air locks

Lee Keefy
07-06-2007, 10:19
new rad cap....definately :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
07-06-2007, 13:33
Having said new rad cap, I've go some pikey imps stealing my coolant at the mo as well, and that's with the new tank and bottle on. Only since I did the heater matrix/system flush so it must be my fault! :lol:

Going to try the running it hot and bleeding thing next.

The rad bleed screw is also still leaking really slowly even after resetting the sealing ring and wrapping the thread in PTFE. :roll:

Might just silicon seal the fecker up. :P

Scougar
03-07-2007, 14:43
Wierd the guy didn't come back and comment on what the prob was... but I would say leaky expansion cap. It's worth a go at £3.50 :)

Matthew

matty
06-07-2007, 14:11
I had this on mine. Only noticed water leak when parked on a slope. Turned out to be the smalles of holes in one of the pipes which needed the inlet manifold off to get at it.