PDA

View Full Version : Is It My Head Gasket........?

1995clio16v
09-05-2007, 20:24
Lads,

Can it get any worse, the 16v is dead, suspected head gasket failure, please confirm on description that follows.

I just can't believe it, the last month just gets from bad to worse, firstly twatted my door and passenger side into a stationary post, made a right mess, as well as a few other things this last month and now a suspected head gasket failure.

Here's what happened;

On my way to work this morning, had a do with a new diesel BMW, naturally I embarrased him, he didnt stand a chance against me on cam in and out of roundabouts, then exited the last rounabout........2nd into 3rd, approaching top of the limiter and boom. Im not joking it looked exactly like an F1 car engine blowing up. I couldnt see out of my rear window for 10 seconds due to blue steam.

Is this head gasket failure?

The temparature went off the scale, no water left in me expansion tank, so i presume it exited from the exhaust in all that steam?

There's no water in the cyclinder head.

The guy in the BMW was probably pissing himself laughing.

It was pretty spectacular though, im proud of the impressiveness yet pissed off my car is ****ed!

So presuming it is my head im not getting it fixed gonna put it inot storage and williams + ITB''s.

Gutted though im now without the 16v for summer. :evil:

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/72/71618/clio16v10_april07.jpg

FATBOY
09-05-2007, 21:31
vultures again!!! can i have yor microline covers???

1995clio16v
09-05-2007, 21:35
erm...everyone want them covers...!

ash clio gtt
09-05-2007, 21:56
hmmm headgaskets are not normaly that spectacular when they let go. take the head off and have a butchers. hope for your sake it is the headgasket and not somthing else

1995clio16v
09-05-2007, 22:02
So your thinking that it could be something else?

Anything in particular that you might be thinking so im not pissed off when I crack her open?

Ive never donea head gasket before.

How long roughly to get the head off, time wise?

Allan
09-05-2007, 22:11
fill your coolant back up with water and see if its pissing out anywhere, it might have just been a hose popping off somewhere, although driving with no collant will cause other problems too but check hoses first

MAXIBOY
09-05-2007, 22:18
could be a hose or something more. fill with water check oil level. check for visual signs first before stripping.

1995clio16v
09-05-2007, 22:32
Oil level was definately ok as I checked this when I pulled over as soon as it happened.

I'll have a look friday on my day off for a missing hose.

I actually looked under the car as soon as I pulled over, the road was dry and there was DEFINATELY no water on the floor anywhere.

Although that isnt to say it hadnt been deposited up the road somewhere! :lol:

I hope it is a hose guys but i think it was too spectacular a reaction for it to be something as simple that.

1995clio16v
10-05-2007, 19:55
Great stuff,

Checked tonight and it isnt my head gasket. Its a hose thats leaking.

To be precise its the osf bottom radiator (its a 3 branch one iirc).

Its gone before about 2 years ago, an absolute bastard to fit. However I think it may just be loose all being well, fingers crossed because its leaking below the jubilee clip. Hopefully it just needs re-tightening.

Im well chuffed now, theres still life left in the little devil yet!

It only leaks when the engine gets hot i.e just above normal running temp so im presuming the pipe expands on heat, and therefore it may just need tightening.

Thanks
Leigh.

BristolSam16v
10-05-2007, 20:15
How would that cause a bloom of smoke though :S

ash clio gtt
10-05-2007, 20:39
How would that cause a bloom of smoke though :S

leaking water + hot manifold/downpipe = lots of steam that can be confused with smoke

1995clio16v
10-05-2007, 20:44
Just about to say the same thing sam.

It wasnt smoke, but steam!

People say smoke a lot of the time when they mean steam.

Theres a distinct difference!

So Im a happy bunny tonight! :lol:

MAXIBOY
10-05-2007, 22:00
glad you didn,t whip the head off to check then. :D

1995clio16v
10-05-2007, 22:04
Phwoar, am I maxiboy!

It took a good while for me to disect the problem as it only starts when the engine gets very hot!

I almost though it was some freak incident and was ready to knock it on the head but my step dad convinced me to stay patient and keep the engine running! Hey presto the fault appeared after sometime.

MAXIBOY
10-05-2007, 22:06
glad its fine. :D

BristolSam16v
10-05-2007, 22:39
Lucky boy ;) for some reason I thought you said blue smoke... or is that another thread? mine was leaking last month very slightly, only need a tighten on the jubilee clip!

1995clio16v
11-05-2007, 12:32
Right,

1 hour job this morning.

Bottom jubilee clip on the 3 branch bottom radiator hose had totally come loose.

Front bumper off and tightened and its all sorted.

Im shocked at the show that it gave off simply from this being loose!

BristolSam16v
11-05-2007, 15:27
front bumper off??? no need for that, i just whipped a long screwdriver in there ;)

VIPERONE
11-05-2007, 16:05
good lad haha

1995clio16v
11-05-2007, 16:52
Bristol Sam; you must not have MAN HANDS then but SMALL BOY hands because you couldnt even drop a penny piece in that gap with all ancillaries attached! :shock:

I even had to use one of them stubby little screwdrivers with the bumper off to get to the jubilee clip!

Its the hose underneath the alternator....a bastard to get to!