PDA

View Full Version : Which way would you go?

Daz.
08-05-2007, 18:24
With all the annoying little things on the car at the moment its got me thinking...

Both my doors, bonnet and boot are all going to need work doing on them - dents removed and a lot of rust treatment especially on the bottom of the doors..

Bonnet needs two 'in' dents removing and one 'out' dent - rust free otehrwise

Doors - as said rusty underneath and the odd parking knock

Boot - Beginning to rust around drain holes - parking dent

What would you do? leave it all as it was and get it all sorted at once when it goes for a respray

Source replacement doors, bonnet, boot now that are mint and whack em on?

Opinions?

MattyH16valver
08-05-2007, 18:39
Depends really m8...most places if your going for a full re-spray don't include a lot of rust work and treatment in there price, so i depends how bad it is really. I have some on my rear tailgate and front a piller....and one of the doors is bent from where it was broken into...kind of decided to buy a decent straight one.
If I was u i'd replace any panels that are really bad with rust, ie doors, cos there gonna be sprayed anyway even if the colour is slightly out on the replacements. Doors are'nt ideal for repairing and filling with filler :lol:

Daz.
08-05-2007, 18:44
Ideally I'd just like a blow over and do most of the prep work myself - for example I'd get a decent door and sort the inside of it out and then let the bodyshop sort the exterior - same with boot etc...

MattyH16valver
08-05-2007, 18:48
Yeah...best way imo. How much would u expect to pay for a decent full re-spray then? I've been quited 2k somewhere if i do the tedious prep work myself and 2.5k somewhere else for the full works.

summeh
08-05-2007, 19:19
Daz I will be going down this road in the near future... Maybe summer time if I still have the willy.

My plan was to just source spanking replacement doors and mirrors, obviously in 449 but wouldn't need to be bang on.

You will be very hard pressed to find a none-rusty boot lid, hence why I will probably just go for a brand new one. Whatever you do where the boot lid is concerned make sure you hammerite/underseal the inside of the boot, so that it doesn't rust up as before!

Check the inside of the bonnet, mine is just starting to rust on the inside down the bottom.

Daz.
08-05-2007, 19:56
Daz I will be going down this road in the near future... Maybe summer time if I still have the willy.

My plan was to just source spanking replacement doors and mirrors, obviously in 449 but wouldn't need to be bang on.

You will be very hard pressed to find a none-rusty boot lid, hence why I will probably just go for a brand new one. Whatever you do where the boot lid is concerned make sure you hammerite/underseal the inside of the boot, so that it doesn't rust up as before!

Check the inside of the bonnet, mine is just starting to rust on the inside down the bottom.

Well I was thinking of sourcing new doors, bonnet and bootlid but then I thought unless you treated them anyway the exact same things gonna happen anyway! they're made the same as they were!

Oh I'll be doing a proper as gay as you like close attention ot detail looking after of all the places were rust can get

drsmith1979
08-05-2007, 19:56
i have a few similar issues as you Daz, all i have to think about is that

1) its french
2) its old

lol - i would love to spend 5k+ on getting it mint and as new, but then i would never use it etc... a full respray is a good idea, but as suggested unless its going to be a bare metal respray i wouldnt go to the expense as the rust will come through at some point again. the doors and tailgate are very common, i personally would look for a pair of replacement doors, get a grinder and attack the rust on the doors and tailgate, then treat with a rust inhibitor and chemical changer, once its all treated, smooth off, use some filler if needed and paint over it. cheap, affective and will protect the rust. with regards to the new doors etc.. i would simply get a full mop done on the car, borrow or rent one or get a bodyshop to do it for you. will look mint. maybe get the bonnet repainted professionally to tidy up the front. i just cant bring myself to pay the 2k-5k for a full professional job when all im going to do is drive the car for fun. if i wanted a mint car i wouldve bought one in the first place etc...

summeh
08-05-2007, 20:08
i have a few similar issues as you Daz, all i have to think about is that

1) its french
2) its old

lol - i would love to spend 5k+ on getting it mint and as new, but then i would never use it etc... a full respray is a good idea, but as suggested unless its going to be a bare metal respray i wouldnt go to the expense as the rust will come through at some point again. the doors and tailgate are very common, i personally would look for a pair of replacement doors, get a grinder and attack the rust on the doors and tailgate, then treat with a rust inhibitor and chemical changer, once its all treated, smooth off, use some filler if needed and paint over it. cheap, affective and will protect the rust. with regards to the new doors etc.. i would simply get a full mop done on the car, borrow or rent one or get a bodyshop to do it for you. will look mint. maybe get the bonnet repainted professionally to tidy up the front. i just cant bring myself to pay the 2k-5k for a full professional job when all im going to do is drive the car for fun. if i wanted a mint car i wouldve bought one in the first place etc...

My thoughts exactly. However, if I could get a full respray, or at least spray the areas that my car needs it, for 1k, I'd go for it.

MAXIBOY
08-05-2007, 20:23
got mine done for about 1500k but did the mechanical side myself. removed the engine trim etc.

summeh
08-05-2007, 20:23
got mine done for about 1500k but did the mechanical side myself. removed the engine trim etc.

Not bad, yeah prolly what I would do... Just deliver them with a shell.

MAXIBOY
08-05-2007, 20:25
thought it was good as he did a lot of blending with the kit losing the bump strips audi door handles roof gutters etc.

Daz.
08-05-2007, 20:28
I honesty reckon I could do the inside bits myself - insides of the doors, insides of boot, insides of bonnet - I just want a decent finish on the outside..

I know its never gonna be perfect and I wouldn't want it to be - I drive it - its a car thats its job in life - the fact they look good is a bonus, but mine could look nicer thats all :D

Swervin_Mervin
08-05-2007, 20:44
Would people suggest a full re-spray or will a blow over suffice?

Mine's pretty rare in that the rust is minimal and it's an early ph1!

Just the body panels are ever so slightly different shades of tungsten. I think the wings nad doors have been sprayed at some point.

Basically I just need the parking dings removing (will get a dentmaster type) then the panels matched up colour-wise.

Beyond that there is one tiny spot of rust on the rear wing and one on the lower arch/sill. That's it.

Hence why I thought a blow-over would suffice?

nyk
08-05-2007, 20:48
never ever ever go for a blow over. It will be a waste of money and no decent body shop will do it anyway.

Daz, the best thing you can do is take it to a body shop, they will advise you when looking at how bad the rust in which panels are worth saving and which arent. Work from there.

MattyH16valver
08-05-2007, 21:38
As ^^ I was told that I don't really need a full re-spray and was quoted how mcuh each panels would be.

Swervin_Mervin
09-05-2007, 12:59
Ta peeps. That would be better as I'm sure it's just the re-sprayed panels that are wrong. You can even see a small spot on the front wing where the paint underneath matches the bonnet. :roll:

Cowboys.

nyk
09-05-2007, 14:00
thats bad cowboy work, sound like the panels have just been blown over as its unlikely they have used any primer if you can see the old colour underneath.

Daz.
09-05-2007, 14:18
http://www.party411.com/custom-cutouts-cowboy.jpg