PDA

View Full Version : Car feels weird. Hesitant and Rough. Any help please?

Imperial_16v
08-05-2007, 16:39
Hey everyone, wondered if you could help diagnose the problem with my Valver.

I've noticed a few times when I first start her she runs rough and sometimes tries to stall. Kinda of like a chug-chug-chug sound and then she'll flicker into life. No problems starting her though.

Then when driving, I slowed for a turning and the battery light came on and again started to stutter and then she pulled away ok. Battery light went off when I pulled away.

Also, when driving she seems very rough, jerky and hesitant on the throttle.

Now the other day, when I had the bonnet up and engine running (listening for a noise actually) I saw what I thought to be bubbles in the coolant tank. Would this point towards a headgasket failure? :( Would the rough running and idle be caused by this?

I need some help as the car is going to get yet more work done on her and whilst it's in I may as well have it looked at. I have ordered a top-end gasket set just incase along with new bolts, so hopefully that will cure the problem.

Any other thoughts? The battery light was a bit weird. But she's got a new battery, starter motor and alternator. And all the electrics work fine. Perhaps it came on as it was about to stall?

One final thing. Gear selection. The exhaust has "moved" recently and isn't hanging correctly. Would this somehow interfere with my gear selection? As I found this afternoon with the clutch fully pressed, when changing gears it was rather clunky as if I had not pressed the clutch enough? ???

Cheers guys n gals! Appreciate it as always!!

lee-8ballauto
08-05-2007, 17:25
would also like to know what this problem is as mine does it too lol cuts out then wont start. its always hit and miss wether or not it starts have replaced alternator starter battery and all the earths in the car.

seanofnp
08-05-2007, 17:36
Rot arm? Dizzy cap? Leads? Plugs?

16v_russ
08-05-2007, 17:42
the exhaust runs close to the linkage rod so yes that could effect ur linkage

i would look at poss idle control valve mate iv had this on 2 valvers and my old hybrid and now my 172 lol

Imperial_16v
08-05-2007, 18:26
Rot arm? Dizzy cap? Leads? Plugs?

All been replaced mate. It's weird, just started the last few days.

the exhaust runs close to the linkage rod so yes that could effect ur linkage

i would look at poss idle control valve mate iv had this on 2 valvers and my old hybrid and now my 172 lol

Ok cheers, would a mechanic be able to "fix" the exhaust/linkage issue?

What do I check for the idle control valve? I think that's pretty new also! lol. Yup, just checked my folder. It was purchased and fitted a year ago to this very month.