PDA

View Full Version : Question re Williams Magnex exhaust

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 11:43
I fitted a brand new Magnex Williams full system yesterday. Now I only had 2 exhaust bungs that came with it. No instructions though on where to put them. I have used 2 standard ones and the 2 that came with the Exhaust.

Can anyone tell me what type to use and where? I ended up using the 2 that came with the system on the mid section. The rear silencer had 15mm between the rear axle jacked up but as soon as I lowered it it was touching the axle :?

The other problem is the car sounds crap with a decat pipe on!! The volume is stupid and far too boomy. Every other car that I have put a decat on gets raspy, whats going on?

I do have a silenced magnex decat which will hopefully reduce the volume considerably but i can't work out how it mates to the downpipe. The sleeve that sticks out of the downpipe normally fits in the cat. On the magnex it has a gauze which appears smaller than the downpipe.

Any help would be appreciated cause its embarrasing to drive round at the mo.

Rich

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 12:14
For a start does anyone have a silenced magnex decat mated to a magnex full system?

If so does it reduce the volume a lot? (I hope so) and do I need to remove the gause type material to get it to fit on the downpipe section?

MattyH16valver
06-05-2007, 13:18
I have a full Magnex system too, and replace the cat the other day with a custom de-cat that nyk had made for me....there is the plus point of the power gains, buts it's just too loud for me...gets annoying after a while :lol: I was offered a silenced one too..should have gone for that. Gonna put the cat back on me thinks. I not 100% sure thats magnex made a silenced de-cat, but the ones that I have seen lok very similar to a cat, aposed to a straight through pipe. Otherwise, u could get one made up. K-Tec do them, but their stupidly expensive.

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 13:55
I have a standard straight through decat (one fitted at the mo) and a silenced magnex decat. Mine came with a gauze gasket in, is this meant to be removed?

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/500/medium/Gauze.jpg
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/500/medium/Flange.jpg
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/500/medium/PartNum.jpg
http://www.apexracing.co.uk/itm00372.htm

MattyH16valver
06-05-2007, 14:10
would'nt have thought so mate....does'nt look asthough it meets up with the flange anyway :?

dan 16v
06-05-2007, 15:03
My Magnex is quite boomy without a cat as well but its only on a Valver, I assume it would be worse on a Williams?! I know what you mean about de-cat normally making systems sound more raspy, its was like this on my 106 gti and my FRP Zetec-s, strange :(

I havnt heard a decent branded raspy system on a mk1 yet! If i was to buy a new system id go for a scorpion everytime!

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 16:35
Has anyone got a Magnex silenced decat? How does the downpipe joining end mate to the decat? It appears as if the gauze can be removed. It will definately not join the lip on the downpipe at present. Is there a part which Im missing to get it to fit?

MattyH16valver
06-05-2007, 17:19
Just put my cat back on this afternoon...sounds a bit nicer now and not so deafening... :lol: Will go for a silenced one if i get anything else.

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 19:26
Yeah I think I will put the cat back on if I can't work out how to fit this silenced decat.

There must be someone else with one???

FATBOY
06-05-2007, 19:50
i have a magnex de cat and straoight thru devil zorst if that helps! loud as fook

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 19:59
have you got a silenced magnex decat like in the pictures above?

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 20:15
Also this came with the magnex, where should it have gone :lol:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/500/medium/Gasket2.jpg
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/gallery/data/500/medium/Gasket.jpg

Andy
06-05-2007, 20:30
er slight **** up can you send that back its my decat spacer check pm

106diablogti
06-05-2007, 20:32
Yeah sure buddy

106diablogti
07-05-2007, 12:07
I have just fitted the cat back on and its so much nicer. I don't think this magnex decat pipe is for a williams? I compared the bolt holes on the straight thru decat and the magnex one was to close together?? The part number on it says its for a Williams so Im really confused.

As for the exhaust resting on the axle I have worked that out, I didn't push the exhaust far enough in to the sleeve joint so the arch over the axle is too far back, will sort it out next weekend but have used cable ties temporarily.

BigBoreBri
07-05-2007, 13:21
Quote from me PM...

Hi mate, yes im assuming that is the same williams de-cat as i had due to the stupid arrangment at the downpipe... lol

Basically i had two problems with mine:

1. The PCD on the mounting holes did not match so i had to file the downpipe holes into some slots to get the studs in, bit annoying!

2. Yes the gasket arrangment is gash, basically just bin the gause gasket as i have only ever found them on peugeots! What magnex recommend is you go and buy some RTV silcon gasket compound and just put loads of this arround the lip on the downpipe and bolt the de-cat hard up to it; it should create a gasket between the downpipe lip and the cone end.

Stuff i got was from halfords, orange compound for turbo manifolds etc..

Hope that helps... P.S You best buy some ear plugs ;)

Cheers,
Bri.

Also i found mine was way FOOKING loud with the de-cat on... and yes incase your wondering as magnex goes it is the "correct item" for the williams it was just designed on a friday on the back of a fag packet! lol

MattyH16valver
07-05-2007, 20:26
I certainly prefer the sound of my magnex after I put the cat back on yesterday. I think it was different on my hybrid, still quite loud, but more raspy.

1fast6
07-05-2007, 22:28
I certainly prefer the sound of my magnex after I put the cat back on yesterday. I think it was different on my hybrid, still quite loud, but more raspy.

Probably due to the supersprint.

I'm wacking the cat on it soon as i can't really stand the noise anymore either...

MattyH16valver
07-05-2007, 23:13

Probably due to the supersprint.

I'm wacking the cat on it soon as i can't really stand the noise anymore either...
Lol...good choice. May go for a silenced de-cat at some point, but theres not enough gains to put up with the noise.. :lol:

mikeymikewakey
08-05-2007, 07:34
"cant stand the noise"

You must be bloody barmy!! Nothing like the sound of an exhaust full of sexed up noise. I loved my last one so muh i never ever put a music player in my last car in all the time i had it!!

Ya cant beat it!!

Mike

northy
08-05-2007, 08:14
Pictures ?