PDA

View Full Version : My first valver

bison3
03-05-2007, 12:57
Got my first Valver after much wanting on Sunday. 1994 in black and pretty much completely standard - just how i wanted it! Love it but I've noticed a few slightly disconcerting things that I was wondering if anybody could help me out on. Firstly, the steering - when I'm at very slow, creeping speeds the power steering (I think) tends to howl and whine quite a bit as I'm actually turning the wheel. The steering performs perfectly otherwise. Is this fairly normal or is it going to be a problem? I vaguely recall reading something similar on here a while back but I'm not sure!

Secondly, the stereo (or lack thereof). The old stereo was removed when I bought it, so currently it has nothing audio-wise at this moment. What I was wondering is, as I have the steering wheel controls and no stereo, is it possible to get one that would be compatible with the old controls or is this not possible?

Finally, the damn centre caps on the wheels: are they supposed to fall off? When I got the car two of them had fallen off, and today when I gave it a bit of boot another one decided to come off and I think I ran it over! Surely this isn't supposed to happen? Any ideas where I could get some replacements? Any help on these issues would be appreciated. Loving the car so far though, insurance went up a few hundred (I'm only an 18 year old doing A-levels), but it was definitely worth it!

Cheers

ollie16v
03-05-2007, 13:09
point one - its normal for the steering to wine, just make sure the power steering fluid is not leaking.

point two - you can get an adaptor to interface between just about any decent brand stereo to allow the controls to work.

point 3 - centre caps shouldnt fall off if they have been put on properly but they are prone to getting nicked, my advice buy some willy wheels! or go on ebay they are always on there if they are the 5 spoke phase 2 wheels.

bison3
04-05-2007, 23:01
That's great help thanks! Reassuring at very least. Where can I get hold of one of those adapters to make the controls work?

MAXIBOY
04-05-2007, 23:15
think the kenwood and sony range do them. could not get them for my alpine. bought a remote instead.

Daz.
05-05-2007, 00:27
I believe Alpine do one now though

summeh
05-05-2007, 00:50
Pioneer do one bout 50quid from memory.

bison3
05-05-2007, 18:05
Meaning I buy a stereo that automatically interfaces with them or do I need to buy a seperate piece of hardware for this? If so could someone show me an example? Still a little confused on this!

Cheers

FATBOY
05-05-2007, 18:16
its a seperate piece of hardware.. basically its a group of wires with connections... as long as the aftermarket stereo is a well known brand name and has a remote output you will be ok. but be warned the cables are not cheap. as summeh said, about £50 ball park figure. check e bay as they rarely appear on there if ya lucky!