PDA

View Full Version : R19 gearbox mount - help with fitting

cliokiz
03-05-2007, 08:11
I was sorting out my gearbox last night and have bolted on the metal R19 gearbox mount plate which is fine.

I went to bolt the rubber to the subframe last night but came across a problem. There's a metal plate bolted to the subframe which holds the plastic pipe in place for the airbox. The R19 mount seems to sit on top of the bolt that holds this metal bracket on, and therefore the R19 mount doesn't fit.

Does the metal bracket for the pipe need to be removed in order to fit it? Or am i doing something wrong?

cliokiz
03-05-2007, 08:16
Oh by the way it's a valver subframe!

northy
03-05-2007, 08:27
The R19 mount is a arse to fit.

I found by removing the small bolt on the side that fouls the R19 mount you can move the air feed/bracket out of the way and fit the rubber.

I then made up a smaller spacer plate that extends the fixing point of the bracket off the subframe so it didnt foul by using a nut and small bolt.

FincH
03-05-2007, 10:55
It's a complete wanker to fit. Anyone who says it's easy is either talking shit or they have a different subframe layout/****ed mounts.

I got the air chissle out on that bastard plate and moved it out the way, then did some crazy contorting stuff with the engine as high as it would go and eventualy got the son of a bitch in there.

2 live
03-05-2007, 11:42
3x 10 mm captives hold the bracket on. take it off.fit mount, alter the bracket to suit.

hey presto.

Rich
03-05-2007, 11:42
no neee to do any of that. undo the subframe a little to lower it to enable the mount to sit in the hole. my p/s pipe is all rubber so that's out the way already. now all i gotta do is buy the mount :lol: (but i have fitted one before and no my mounts arent ****ed!) it depends what your p/s pipe setup is like tbh, if you have a half metal one like the willy 3's its a bit more of a pain yes

VIPERONE
03-05-2007, 11:55
its an absolute piece of piss to do!

a haynes 1 spanner rating

cliokiz
03-05-2007, 19:20
Can anyone quickly tell me what size nylock bolts are required to bolt the R19 rubber to the subframe?

Thanks!

FincH
03-05-2007, 22:00

Bs. We're either talking of a different job or summat was wrong with your subframe. It's physicaly impossible to raise the engine enough to get the mount between the metal plate and the subframe FACT!

Daz.
03-05-2007, 22:12
You know after getting these uprated mounts I reckon you don't even need to bother with the 19 mount...

I'd like to be in a car that has one on standard willy mounts to compare as I don't see how it could get any more stable than it is now

Coops
03-05-2007, 22:37

Bs. We're either talking of a different job or summat was wrong with your subframe. It's physicaly impossible to raise the engine enough to get the mount between the metal plate and the subframe FACT!

2x subframe bolts on that side to drop it slightly and your away mate, just done it! :wink:

VIPERONE
03-05-2007, 22:40

fact i fit one this afternoon in 10 mins lol

what is a twat is my clutch and gearbox :-(

cliokiz
04-05-2007, 00:12
Does the subframe HAVE to be dropped in order to fit it? Do you leave it dropped or tighten it up once you've bolted it all together?

My engine is out so should be easy 'nuff for me!

2 live
04-05-2007, 06:53
no you dont have to drop the subframe. this just enough room to get the rubber in between the 2 if the box is jacked right up and u wiggle the rubber round a bit.

cliokiz
04-05-2007, 07:16
Can anyone quickly tell me what size nylock bolts are required to bolt the R19 rubber to the subframe?

Thanks!

Anyone??? Dialogys? Need to pick some up from somewhere at the weekend!

MAXIBOY
04-05-2007, 08:48
think there m10 1.25

VIPERONE
04-05-2007, 10:51

no you dont have to drop the subframe. this just enough room to get the rubber in between the 2 if the box is jacked right up and u wiggle the rubber round a bit.

;-)

FincH
04-05-2007, 16:01
Trust me Gunner, I did it and it was a complete twat. Loosend off everything, jacked the engine as high as I could and it still took more hacking and some serious twiddling to get the thing in. To be fair my car was a cunt if I ever saw one, but still, a simple job in theory, not in practice :lol:

2 live
04-05-2007, 20:02
pussy

:wink: