PDA

View Full Version : Passenger wheel sitting a bit further back?

AmDaMan
01-05-2007, 19:37
Noticed this for quite a while now and it's started to annoy me! Many moons ago I had a knock with a curb and the geometry all got checked and jigged so it was spot on.

Anyway since then i've changed everything, just recently being the wishbones/balljoints/shocks etc.

At 1 point it seemed ok but now it looks like it's gone back again??

When I went down to midges to buy his coilovers after fitting them it pushed my wheel EVEN FURTHER back!! so I couldn't buy em! What's that about, how would it change it so much? It also made my steering wheel a bit lop sided (it still is a couple of degrees out even after putting mine back on)!??

I wouldn't mind changing the subframe apart from my subframe has a few extra bits on it which attaches to the bumper that dimma did so it looks like an arse of a job.

Is there anything I can be looking at?

Thanks.

MAXIBOY
01-05-2007, 22:58
were did you get you wishbones.

AmDaMan
01-05-2007, 23:13
from the buyparts.co.uk place. It made no difference, wheel was the same.

MAXIBOY
01-05-2007, 23:26
bushes are adjustable in the wishbone and can alter the geometry of the front end. so can shocks as they control location. to start with measure the wheel base either side and see how far out it is.

AmDaMan
01-05-2007, 23:30
sorry can you make a little diagram of what I should be measuring?

Had no Idea they could be adjusted to alter geometry... How would you go about adjusting it then if it was out?

MAXIBOY
01-05-2007, 23:41
can,t really be adjusted just a lot of after market wishbones come with the bushes poorly adjusted in the arms.

well to start with measure from fixed points along the car to a fixed point on the wheels. start with front to rear wheel centres on both sides. should be the same. then measure from front wheel centre to the door pillar/rear quarter. should give you an idea of how much your out by. think bushes move between the wheel about by 5mm to 25mm depending how much there out. have you got a haynes as there,s a section in there on the correct fitment of new bushes with all measured up diagrams.

AmDaMan
02-05-2007, 00:11
haynes says 147mm +-5 doesn't seem like an easy job getting them spot on, but not sure how they would be visibly out!

The gap on one side is 1"1/4 compared to 1"1/2, not measured from wheel to wheel yet.

How do the shocks affect it? After taking the coilly off and putting my stock suspension back on the steering wheel position was still not right so something seems dodgy.

MAXIBOY
02-05-2007, 00:39
yeah but 147mm is the gap between the bushes. this has to be right to fit the car but the arm can be forward or rear biased on the bushes themselves. where only taking a 1/4 inch here thats between 6 and 7mm at the wheel end . maybe only a couple of mm and the bushes end.bent shocks knacked top mounts can all effect the wheels position. its basically a triangle set up so any movement in one point can effect another. could also be a bent hub even tracking

AmDaMan
02-05-2007, 11:13
shocks and top mounts are relatively new. Hubs are off another valver that was fine too. Just had it tracked up. Are there places that adjust these things?

MAXIBOY
02-05-2007, 11:53
could try a race/motorsport place. not that cheap though.

AmDaMan
02-05-2007, 11:58
hmm may have to live with it then, pisses me off everytime i see it though :lol:

MAXIBOY
02-05-2007, 15:37
have you measured it yet.