PDA

View Full Version : Broken clutch?

Danny-ACE!
28-04-2007, 13:16
Was driving along yesterday. Got to some traffic lights, put it in neutral. Lights went green. Went to put it in first and it wouldnt go in. Pushed it onto a side street and turned the engine off.

It will go into gear when the engines off but will not go in when its on. Also if I start is in gear with the clutch down it still moves the car like I aint pressing the clutch.

Took the airbox off to have a look and the ?release fork? looks like its not all the way back and the cable is loose.

I think the springs have gone possibley? I heard something rattle in the bell housing. Sounded like a spring breaking off and fallinf to the bottom.

Should I just take the box off and have a look of is there anything i can check first because to be honest, I cant be arsed taking the box off. Takes too long and Ill have to buy some gearbox oil!

Thanks!

bass_direct
28-04-2007, 13:46
check the clutch cable?

Danny-ACE!
28-04-2007, 13:49
Its still pulling the release bearing and moving the fork. The pedal feels normal.

bass_direct
28-04-2007, 13:52
might have got stretched and not fully pulling enough?

cheapest thing to check i suppose..

Coops
28-04-2007, 14:09
theres a little white platic bush that hold the release fork at its pivot point on the box i believe, you get those sypmtoms when that breaks

talk to mike16valver on here n all, he has same issues with my old valver atm

MatBrown
28-04-2007, 14:15
theres a little white platic bush that hold the release fork at its pivot point on the box i believe, you get those sypmtoms when that breaks

talk to mike16valver on here n all, he has same issues with my old valver atm

Or the white pivot bush could have worn through the fork.

Mat.

Danny-ACE!
28-04-2007, 14:17
Well i took the rubber cover off the gearbox to expose the release bearing and fork. Nothing looks abnormal. I suppose ill have to slide it off and have a look!

cliokiz
28-04-2007, 15:28
How do you get the bush off that the arm pivots on?

I've tried pulling, chiseling, twisting, nothing works!

DaveH
28-04-2007, 19:28
How do you get the bush off that the arm pivots on?

I've tried pulling, chiseling, twisting, nothing works!

Break it! cut through it theyre only pence from renault.

This happened to me but the pedal dropped like the cable had snapped. When i got home i realised that there was some resistance in the pedal at the very bottom and not enough movement to release the clutch. I was also in the same position not wanting to take box out so scratched my head for a while and then had to do it.

The cable moved back and forth ok and when i disconnected it the fork looked like it was hitting the hole in the bell housing before moving the clutch, when i took the box out it had worn a hole in the bush and marked the fork, daft idea but renault parts seemed to know all about it and was such a shame doing all of that work for a few pence part!

VIPERONE
28-04-2007, 19:47
coops i take it your reading my retro renault thread, as you failed to answer my conundrum last week,. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have exactly the same problem. Do not attempt to bump start the car in gear you will rip your clutch in halve.

before you whip the box off....await my report as i am replacing the clutch cable and pedal... im half way through it...

im thinking-
cable stretch, or that pivot bush has gone.i didnt think to change it when the box was off.... so any one changing a clutch-

RENEW THE PIVOT BUSH JUST IN CASE :lol: :lol: :lol:

VIPERONE
28-04-2007, 20:10
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/gunnergibson/bearing.jpg

cliokiz
28-04-2007, 20:18
How dare you steal my picture, lol.

My arm looks pretty worn as does the bush, so i'm replacing both.

Thing is, if i break the bush, how do i get the metal base bit off? Thats the bit that's stuck!

VIPERONE
28-04-2007, 20:20
hmm cliokiz go get some pics of it mate....

DaveH
28-04-2007, 20:34
whats wrong with the metal base? Usually its just the nylon bush that wears through, iirc it is screwed into the bell housing and has a hex base to it to tighten/loosen. As said get some pics up mate!

VIPERONE
28-04-2007, 20:46
yeah i know dave, just illustrating where it sits... should alter the picture really...i have a box in the garage i'll go take a snap

alex_e3
29-04-2007, 12:14
Seems to be a lot of people having this problem lately!

I must admit, i didn't change this so called bush when i changed my clutch a while ago. Where is it exactly? I thought what it pivoted on was made of some sort of metal!

Hope you get on alright with clutch pedal mate! Was a bitch of a job to do mine - nearly snapped my back in half on the top of the sill!

DaveH
29-04-2007, 16:03
yeah i know dave, just illustrating where it sits... should alter the picture really...i have a box in the garage i'll go take a snap

Gunner i meant that cliokiz mentioned if he breaks the bush off how does he get the metal base off as thats the bit thats stuck thats why i asked whats wrong with it as thats usually not the problem, good illustration though and that fork doesnt look very well :wink:

I didnt change the fork simply because it wasnt wearing for long as the bush just snapped and it was £18 iirc.

Alex e3 the pivot is bolted into the bell housing like a metal ball with a white nylon bush pushed onto it, i know whenever i take a box out again i will be replacing it for what it costs!

VIPERONE
29-04-2007, 17:10
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/gunnergibson/ivot1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/gunnergibson/pivot2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/gunnergibson/pivot3.jpg

VIPERONE
29-04-2007, 17:14
grip with mole grips and twist it around then pull it off replace accordingly, the pivot bush you see is from a jc5 megane box

VIPERONE
29-04-2007, 17:20
and today i successfully changed the clutch cable and pedal...i removed the column for ease of access. 2 live painstakingly built the pedal up and slid it on the rail etc.

anyway this did not solve the fault,,, so after renewing the clutch to an uprated item, and then buying a pedal and cable.....the fix is a 50p bush,.

Muhahah ---quality a clutch fault learning curve! i cannot be a clio padawan any more as the clutch cable and pedal were the only shite jobs i had not attempted

will get the bush off..and renew it in the week Zzzzzz

DaveH
29-04-2007, 19:52
Thats the fella!, mine had worn a hole through the middle, jc3 was slightly different to that

Danny-ACE!
29-04-2007, 22:43
Ok, I took the box off today. The clutch plate is dead. Couple of springs are broken and the metal parts behind the springs that hold them in have snapped.

What clutch should I buy? Is it worth getting tyhe uprated one again because its obviously shite...

summeh
29-04-2007, 23:33
Interesting... I am wondering then if my bush is slightly worn... Didn't replace it when I rebuilt my engine up.

Symptoms are that sometimes with the clutch fully depressed and in reverse gear the car still rolls as if the clutch is not fully depressed. This only happens when the car is very hot. Also sometimes find 1st gear selection hard, as if again, clutch not fully depressed.

This would explain a few things for me!

mike16valver
30-04-2007, 12:46
SO has this Neucence of a Part got a part number at renault...?

Guna change my clutch soon, so Def guna change this piece...?

DaveH
30-04-2007, 18:58
Ok, I took the box off today. The clutch plate is dead. Couple of springs are broken and the metal parts behind the springs that hold them in have snapped.

What clutch should I buy? Is it worth getting tyhe uprated one again because its obviously shite...

Thatl be your problem then!

Mike16valver- the part does have a part number at Renault- my local dealer seemed to know all about it and went straight to it, they even had it in stock! Is a large dealer though.

mike16valver
01-05-2007, 11:02
Cheers DaveH :D

Ahmed Bayjoo
27-09-2007, 04:20
does sumone have any pics of the pivot bush, the ones on here arent working no more.

getting the same symptons, when car is hot or been driving for a while becomes very dificult to select 1st gear or if stuck in traffic.

previous owner changed both clucth cable and pedal mechanism but the problem is still there.

is the pivot bush where the clutch cable attaches to the gearbox?

Purple
27-09-2007, 06:45
Clutch cable might be running to close to the exhaust downpipe. And the heat could be causing the cable to stretch thus lowering the bite point.

mike16valver
27-09-2007, 09:20
Hiya Matey

I went through all these symptoms and the good fellas here helped me as much as they could and reeled off all sorts of problems it could be,

But in my experience and from what your saying it doesn't sound like a clutch cable, or a clutch ratchet or pedal, or the clutch plate, it sounds more like your pressure plate..

What tends to happen is the pressure plate springs get worn over time..

It feels ok on a morning every gear selects as normal... but when the car gets HOT, the springs on the pressure plate start to relax, more that they actually should, therefore when you actually press your clutch in and the folk and release bearing press against the springs, its having no effect of the clutch and not disengaging,

http://studiolounge21.musicvids.co.uk/pix/old_clutch.jpg

Fair enough have a look at other solutions first matey, process by elimination and make this the last thing to try...

Try get it solved as soon as, don't do what i did and just forget about if for a while, because in the long run you will come out worse.

From using it like this, i ended up getting a new clutch, clutch cable, whole new pedal mechanism, and then eventually my gearbox gave up... so it does cost more..

Here is the pivot bush picture you requested matey..

http://studiolounge21.musicvids.co.uk/pix/bush.jpg

Oh! the reason i have 2 folks in the picture is i did the soft pedal clutch conversion...

I hope this helps matey

Mike

Matty86
28-09-2007, 14:28
got a part number for that bush?

I'm changing a clutch and might as well change that too :D

mike16valver
28-09-2007, 14:36
got a part number for that bush?

I'm changing a clutch and might as well change that too :D

I got my from Volvo Matey

Nylon Cap V03467278 - £1.88

Mike

Matty86
28-09-2007, 20:47
cool, ill pop down to volvo in the morning

do you have to provide any vehicle details, or will they just order it off the part number?