PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke on High Reving. What causes it?

Imperial_16v
27-04-2007, 17:54
How do all,

I was just testing out the recording feature on my new phone, so decided to take one of the exhaust... as you do. ;)

On playback when I was reving the car hard (+5.5k rpm I'd say) I noticed blue smoke coming out the back, very noticeable. Once back down to normal it goes away.

My dad says it's nothing to worry about, but is it something I could get fixed? Would it be expensive?

Cheers. :)

AndyFielder
27-04-2007, 18:01
oil getting in... hmm... worn piston rings/bores? valve oil seals?

Imperial_16v
27-04-2007, 18:02
valve oil seals?

I think I've seen that mentioned before. I'm getting new hydraulic lifters fitted soon (when they arrive) so could this be something I could get done at the same time? :)

AndyFielder
27-04-2007, 18:04
i would have thought so, tho i may be right in thinking you dont need to remove the head to fit the seals... someone who knows things mite be able to help more than me ;)

MAXIBOY
27-04-2007, 18:06
not to fit hydraulic lifters but yes to fit stem seals.

Coops
27-04-2007, 18:16
ai more work to do stem seals, and even then cud be piston rings!

tappets are easy enuf as just pop out when cams are out!

Imperial_16v
27-04-2007, 19:14
Thanks. :)

So either stem seals or piston rings then. Would this be what I need from k-tec?

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=191

And then the headgasket bolts from BB Performance Tuning?

http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=2988

Anyone know where I can buy new piston rings from please?

Ta. ;)

VIPERONE
27-04-2007, 19:16
get your head gasket kits from ebay mate

VIPERONE
27-04-2007, 19:17
the bolts are only £12 if bought with hg kit

Imperial_16v
27-04-2007, 19:21
get your head gasket kits from ebay mate

Oh ok cheers, but is that what I need though yea? It says in the description it comes with valve stem oil seals and cam oil seals, so it sounds right but I've been wrong before. Lol. :)

Imperial_16v
27-04-2007, 19:37
Right, think I'm going to get the lifters fitted and then a new gasket set fitted. Then see if the blue smoke still occurs. Hopefully it won't but if it does I'll get the piston rings done and then I may as well get the big end bearings, main bearings and thrust washers done whilst the pistons are out, blah blah blah.

MAXIBOY
27-04-2007, 23:05
it is properly the stem seals. you can check for worn rings with one of two ways. either a leak down test or a compression check. if the compression is low and then you add a squirt of oil and it goes up its shows the rings are at fault. some oil can be drawn past even good condition valve stems seals under high rev conditions. usually only a problem if its does it all the time.