PDA

View Full Version : Willy springs???

Enid
14-02-2005, 15:32
Firsty please excuse my ignorence lol

My car is in the garage at the mo having a few things sorted. While the Mechanic was looking at the car he noticed that the drivers side "Core spring" was snapped and asked me if I wanted them to replace it. What does he mean by core spring? I wadn't noticed any handling difference but there was a clunking noise coming from the drivers side. Also he said it would be better to replace both springs?

Cheers

Ian

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 15:38
Broken front springs are pretty common. Yes you should replace both sides. It will be driving like a dog with a broken spring.

I think the springs are 80 quid each from Renault. While you are at it do the top mounts too. Pretty cheap and no extra work.

Enid
14-02-2005, 15:45
Cheers Stromba,

How can you distinguish between Willy springs and other springs? Seem to recall Willy springs have a white band on them or something??

northy
14-02-2005, 15:47
williams springs will have 2 white dabs of paint on them. The only place you can get them from is reno.

And they are around £75ish a pair....or you can take this chance to go uprated to coilovers if your a fan of them.

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 15:51
:shock:

Enid
14-02-2005, 15:52
Thanks, not that I don't trust the mechanic but it will reasure me knowing he's put the right damn springs on lol. Not interested in coilovers want to keep things the way they are, the car works well for me as it is.

MatBrown
14-02-2005, 15:59
Yeah, common problem and definately worth doing.
I have a 2nd hand set if your interested or can do you just a single one.

Mat.

J o n
14-02-2005, 16:00
those prices are plus VAT too, I think mine cost me about £170ish in the end... that's excluding top mounts and struts that I also had to get...

Enid
14-02-2005, 16:05
Cheers Matt but I think I will shell out on new ones from Renault and get the garage where the car is to fit them.

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 16:58
Ijust used some old matress springs i had lying about. Seems to work fine unless i try to turn a corner.

2 live
14-02-2005, 17:12
Thanks, not that I don't trust the mechanic but it will reasure me knowing he's put the right damn springs on lol. Not interested in coilovers want to keep things the way they are, the car works well for me as it is.

tbh mate the car holds the road a lot better, n corners a lot safer on the coilovers than the std items, no harsher over the bumpy stuff, but car feels a lot more stable thru high speed corners.....and for a full set of shox and springs......not much more than a pair of springs from reno......renew or upgrade lol.......theres only 1 option in my book hehe

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 17:16
If you arnt going to track your car coilovers are not the best option IMO.

Enid
14-02-2005, 17:19
Not planning on taking it on the track. That would involve driving fast :shock:

2 live
14-02-2005, 17:19
depends mate tbh

quite a few people that have been in mine have said it handles evryday driving better than their standard susp set ups........an i agree ......lol...well it handles better now than it did wen i bought it

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 17:35
Not planning on taking it on the track. That would involve driving fast :shock:

If you dont drive far over the speed limit like me, standard springs are fine and will keep the value of the car higher, without having to take em off if you sell it.

Enid
14-02-2005, 17:40
Yeah I tend not to thrash the car around too much now, I had a big accident in my 172 cup and that changed my driving style a lot, very cautious now. Although every now and then I give it some beans on some of the nice B roads round my way. Sad I know lol.

2 live
14-02-2005, 17:50
Yeah I tend not to thrash the car around too much now, I had a big accident in my 172 cup and that changed my driving style a lot, very cautious now. Although every now and then I give it some beans on some of the nice B roads round my way. Sad I know lol.

lol @ you 2........

u shudda got an old 850 festa or summat......these cars were made to prove a point...............and the owners should keep reminding other road users of that point.....IMO

Enid
14-02-2005, 20:13

lol @ you 2........

u shudda got an old 850 festa or summat......these cars were made to prove a point...............and the owners should keep reminding other road users of that point.....IMO

Do what!!! :shock:

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 20:40
More haste less speed

richy
14-02-2005, 20:44
More speed less haste

agree with u there ks lol

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 20:46
Richy is a big homo

agree with u there ks lol

:shock:

richy
14-02-2005, 20:47
hahahahaha :wink:

2 live
14-02-2005, 21:04

lol @ you 2........

drive it as reno intended lol

dont wrap the fukkin thing up in cotton wool n pootle about evrywhere....does more harm than good

KingStromba
14-02-2005, 21:12

lol @ you 2........

drive it as reno intended lol

dont wrap the fukkin thing up in cotton wool n pootle about evrywhere....does more harm than good

Not if you wrap it round a tree :wink:

richy
14-02-2005, 21:16
just do what i do drive on roads with no trees :wink: lol

nah no need to go overkill but i like to have a blast about, usually ends up every day n night going to and from work lol

richy
14-02-2005, 22:22
back on subject lol, i started off with std set-up then just upgraded the springs to a set of avo custom made, std height but uprated to 165lbs std being 125lbs, then went onto avo coilovers which are cracking, loads of fun with them but had to sell due to financial problems! so back on avo custom springs, oh custom springs are less then reno! about £100 for pair made to spec u want :D