PDA

View Full Version : help

Turbloide2
21-04-2007, 12:07
just come to change the alternator belt cam to lossen the allen key bolt on the tension pully and looks like someone has already had a go and rounded the alley bolt off so i cant loossen it :(

What can i do to get it off and put a new one on ????

AndyFielder
21-04-2007, 12:09
it the rounding is the issue, get a hacksaw/hack saw blade or a dremel with a cutting disk and cut into the head of the bolt, this will let you turn it with a flat bladed screw driver.

Andy

Rich
21-04-2007, 12:11
or just loosen off the alt to get the belt off, put the bottom bolt in and lever the alt on the inlet mani (dont be hanging of it and damage the inlet man though :lol:) gives you enough to get the belt back on and the alt in place, had to do it on an old engine of mine once.

Turbloide2
21-04-2007, 12:17
If i just leave the tension pully and do it the alterntor way will i be able to get enough tension with out using the tension pully ??

thanks

Rich
21-04-2007, 12:26
yes if there is enough tension in the old belt (or there was) then yes, if its was too loose, unfortunately not

AndyFielder
21-04-2007, 12:33
sounds like a bit of a bodge to me :P

Rich
21-04-2007, 12:36
sounds like a bit of a bodge to me :P

its a temporary solution if you need to use the car as it doesnt use any other moutning points, bolt positions ect as the alt only fixes in one way!. then order a new bolt and maybe a new tensioner wheel from renault and change it when you have the time.

Turbloide2
21-04-2007, 12:56
There is no tension in it what so ever so that isnt going to work i cant get the bolt off at all :(

Any other suggestion of how to remove it once off i wll buy a new pully and bolt from reno.....

MAXIBOY
21-04-2007, 22:18
easier way to move rounded off allen bolts is to hammer a spline tool into them and then replace them.

Turbloide2
24-04-2007, 17:53
hi all well ive treid everything liquid cold metal bonding an allen key in the hole but no good trying to get a chisle in to hit it but nothing is working :(

its off to a garage on thurs to see if they can spot weld an allen key to the bolt to try and get it off...

If this fails think im going to have to have the engine taken out :9 all this just to fit a new alternator belt :(

any more ideas would be great thanks

Coops
24-04-2007, 17:57
radiator off, undo the mount that the things held to (may need to remove a few other bits n bobs)and get a better angle on it off the car. or just replace the whole lot with a second hand effort

Turbloide2
24-04-2007, 18:01
Im trying to remove the adjuster bolt and pully ??

Coops
24-04-2007, 18:03
yeah i know, its bolted to a plate on the front of the engine, if u remove the radiator you can get to the bolts that hold that on, i cant remeber exactly how it goes together. there are several plates there that u can remove, holding the power steering pump and few other bits, but if u systematically remove each bit u can get the whole lot out and not have to remove the engine, sounds alot of work but its relatively easy. well compared to removing an entire engine!

Turbloide2
24-04-2007, 18:22
Thanks for the info thats great .

if welding an alley key to it does not work i will remove the rad and strip it all down.

So the bolt that holds the adjuster pully does not screw into the block its self it goes into a plate....

worth a try because i really dont want to have to take engine out for a job that should of only taken 30mins.

ile let you know how i get on.

Coops
24-04-2007, 18:46
heres the front of the engine headless, see on the left all the brackets, its that area u need to remove stuff

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/P4230206.jpg

heres a pic of the item (circled) ur trying to get to off the car and at a rediculous angle, may be of some use tho! :lol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/P10900432.jpg

MAXIBOY
24-04-2007, 19:55
try hammering in a spline it usually works.

Coops
24-04-2007, 20:13
bit tough to even get an alan key in the gap you got to play with there, let alone a hammer!

Turbloide2
26-04-2007, 17:36
HI all just wanted to say Thanks for all the info and help you gave me really appriciate it.

I have got it off using an air chisel :)
New bolt on it way tomorow from reno only £4 the pully they wanted £87 i couldnt belive it.

Thanks