PDA

View Full Version : CV Boot's

Lunner
19-05-2005, 17:39
I know that one of the CV joints to the gearbox is dry, and one is wet, but i'm not sure which it is.

Problem is the CV boot ont he driver's side is split, think thats the dry side, but still it needs replacing, but obvously less serious then if i';m loosing gearbox oil

Winston
19-05-2005, 17:42
Drivers side is dry

KingStromba
19-05-2005, 18:37
Yeah i has a leak from mine and it was nearside

Lunner
19-05-2005, 18:44
FFS what is it one thing after another wiht this ****ing car, it gets stupid when you are replacing thigns that have already been replaced, only had that one done in August :evil:

Split down the join where its been moulded, so i would say its a manuafacturing defect, if i ring the place up that repklaced it tomorrow, what do you recon my chances of getting them to do it free again will be?

Also if i get some grease and pack it in a duct tape it recon it will be ok for a few hundred miles?

KingStromba
19-05-2005, 18:46
I thought the boot was cheap?

Could you get the part and do it yourself?

Worth a go if its split to ring them. Ask them for a 50% discount on labout as its only just been replaced.

Lunner
19-05-2005, 18:50
Could do, i'm down their way Tuesday, could do it myself, but its a hassle i don't need, and it involves taking the whole drive shaft out, and at the moment, to be honest i really can't be arsed with it

KingStromba
19-05-2005, 18:51
See if gunner has an old sas trick for this.

VIPERONE
19-05-2005, 19:16
i certainly do....

bicycle puncture repair kit :-)

does the trick.. u need vulcanising rubber.. which most kits come with.. top up cvgrease b 4 hand

Lunner
19-05-2005, 19:20
Its a 1" long split, from the large end towards the smaller end, if the garage want too much to fix it or won't fix it i'll do that

KingStromba
19-05-2005, 19:23
Vulcanising rubber is good stuff, just make sure the boot is clean first.

Lunner
20-05-2005, 12:15
Also can someone confirm that when you lower a car it doens't put loads of stresses on the cv boot

Lunner
20-05-2005, 14:15
Update guys, spoke to them and since i'm down that way tuesday they are gonna ahve ti in and have a look at it

KingStromba
20-05-2005, 14:36
Good man

Mark_Ritchspeed
20-05-2005, 19:19
Lowering will not put any extra stress on the cv boot.

Lunner
21-05-2005, 17:39
Lowering will not put any extra stress on the cv boot.

Thankyou, knew he was talking bollocks

Lunner
23-05-2005, 16:05
Been under the car today to try and patch it up, splits are so that i can't actually get eny grease in there, but the condition of the boot is appalling, cracked and split at both ends, considering it was a new one on there in August, thats only 9 months ago.

http://www.lunner.co.uk/cliosport/cvboot1.JPG

I'm thinking it migfht be due to the closeness of the downpipe, although this has a heatshield on it i bet it still getts pretty hot, and i do alot of motorway miles/high speeds, my trip to uni is 30 mins+ of 80/90mhp speeds.

http://www.lunner.co.uk/cliosport/cvbootdownpipe.JPG

pic makes the gap look smaller than it is, actually about 2", but no more, was thinking of either making another heatsheild and wrapping and rivetting it round it, or getting some exhaust wrap or similar and wrapping, just that part.

I'm going to patch up what i can of the splits, but i'm not sure if there is any grease left in there, don't know how long its been like that, btu need to do 100+ miles to london tomorrow to get it fixed, recon its going to be doable wihtout ****ing the joint?

VIPERONE
23-05-2005, 17:34
luner, syringe cv grease in.. the last thing you want is the joint to seize!

then wipe ie with alcohol wipes apply a bit of super glue.. let it dry.. then stick on your bike puncture kit...