PDA

View Full Version : 16v downpipe knocking nastily

Laine_16v
20-04-2007, 19:27
Alrite,

Any tips, the downpipe runs parralel with the dog bone mount, and it rests on it lots.

Reverse the car and it sounds like you got a woodpecker the size of Bass Direct pecking at the chassis!

You can kick it away from the dogbone and that shuts it up for about a day, but it just works its way over, over time.

Any fixes???!!! its driving me insane.

P.S Love you really bass :wink:

Daz.
20-04-2007, 20:15
remove em :lol:

wavy
20-04-2007, 20:55
new engine mounts ? bunngy rope :)

Laine_16v
20-04-2007, 21:01
i dont want to bodge it (i.e. bungee ropes).

It never happened before it was removed and fitted, and i can understand ull all say "take it back to the place that removed it and get them to do it".

But surely it can only pivto to and away from the dog bone, so how can it be adjusted permanently?

Engine mounts wouldnt fix it.

MAXIBOY
21-04-2007, 00:23
even up the downpipe bolts so its sits away from the dog bone

summeh
21-04-2007, 00:55
is it banging against the bolt that secures the dogbone to subframe?

If so make sure the bolt is in the correct way - bolt head towards the downpipe - it's an arse because it means you may need to remove the downpipe to remove the bolt.

summeh
21-04-2007, 00:56
even up the downpipe bolts so its sits away from the dog bone

Thats probably the problem, to tight on one side would cause it to "lean", so just do up the other side a bit and it should even out/lean the other way.

Assuming of course your not talking about a supersprint manifold.

Laine_16v
21-04-2007, 11:47
Yes, dogbone bolt is in the wrong way, the big chunky nut is smacking into it, but its not an option to remove it are reverse it.

Ill try this "lean" thing, sounds very plausable reason, just hope it doesnt mean it will start blowing on one side.

BristolSam16v
21-04-2007, 13:03
If the bolts are in the wrong way then thats the problem surely? trying to tighten one bolt more than the other is just going to cause it to blow?

You can lever the downpipe to the side with a bar while you take the bolts out, isn't that hard?

Laine_16v
21-04-2007, 13:05
If the bolts are in the wrong way then thats the problem surely? trying to tighten one bolt more than the other is just going to cause it to blow?

You can lever the downpipe to the side with a bar while you take the bolts out, isn't that hard?

i think its always been that way round tho, even when i wasnt have problems.

Ill try the loosening of one side, afterall it only needs a few mm of clearance to make it shut up, no chance of getting the bolt out with the downpipe in at all.

Laine_16v
21-04-2007, 18:21
Loosening one side made no difference.

jay s
21-04-2007, 18:45
a woodpecker the size of Bass Direct pecking at the chassis :lol:

mate that cracked me up

BristolSam16v
22-04-2007, 14:06
Unless the rest of your exhaust is pulling it to one side? Could have easily bumped it on something and shifted it slightly?

Try taking it to a garage and see if they can line your exhaust up better, they don't normally charge for something that simple.

Laine_16v
22-04-2007, 14:08
Unless the rest of your exhaust is pulling it to one side? Could have easily bumped it on something and shifted it slightly?

Try taking it to a garage and see if they can line your exhaust up better, they don't normally charge for something that simple.

Possibly yeah, you can wiggle the exhaust around a bit from side to side, hence i can push it to one side, but it always "returns" to the knocking centre.

Im guna get cliolord to have a gander at it next weekend hopefully anyway now.

BristolSam16v
22-04-2007, 21:15
One of the gasket/brackets near the rear could be on wrong so maybe you need to twist it a bit then put the clamp back on?